Issue connecting iEXOS-100 to kstars via USB on M1 Pro Mac #iEXOS-100 #serial #mac

W Gadecki

Hi, I'm trying to connect my mount to my M1 Pro Macbook but while it is possible via wifi, I can't find a way to make it work wired. The message I get is "Failed to connect to port (/dev/cu.usbserial). Error: Port failure Error: No such file or directory. Check if device is connected to this port."  Do you have any ideas what is wrong?

Eduardo Simone

I don’t know if Mac is like Linux in that the DTR on the serial cable needs to be reversed. If you are using a FTDI chip then you can download FTDprog which allows you to reverse the DTR signal. That was always an issue when connecting to kstars on Linux.
Ed Simone
Esimone80@...

--
Eduardo Simone

ES 127mm Achromat doublet refractor
ExploreScientific Exos II with PMC-8
Meade 152mm LX80 SCT
ZWO ASI533MC-Pro
ZWO ASI120MC
Software- Windows based- NINA, PHD2, Ascom 6.5 and Alpaca, Cartes du Ceil and SharpCap 4.0
Linux- Raspian based Debian OS, with PHD2, INDI library, Kstars/EKos and INDIGO library with INDIGO server.

Miroslav Bakoš

i had to use native windows machine to switch the port to serial (older firmware).
in the newer firmware they both work at the same time.
check your system report -> USB if it pops up then.

po 23. 5. 2022 o 13:32 Eduardo Simone <esimone80@...> napísal(a):

I don’t know if Mac is like Linux in that the DTR on the serial cable needs to be reversed. If you are using a FTDI chip then you can download FTDprog which allows you to reverse the DTR signal. That was always an issue when connecting to kstars on Linux. 
Ed Simone
Esimone80@...

--
Eduardo Simone

ES 127mm Achromat doublet refractor
ExploreScientific Exos II with PMC-8
Meade 152mm LX80 SCT
ZWO ASI533MC-Pro
ZWO ASI120MC
Software- Windows based- NINA, PHD2, Ascom 6.5 and Alpaca, Cartes du Ceil and SharpCap 4.0
Linux- Raspian based Debian OS, with PHD2, INDI library, Kstars/EKos and INDIGO library with INDIGO server.

Ignazio Pillitteri

W Gadecki: give a try to indigo drivers and their suite for Mac/Apple
it works well for me under linux
https://www.cloudmakers.eu/xindi/

W Gadecki

The firmware installed is the new one.

One more thing - the mount works perfectly well on a MacBook air I borrowed (regular M1 processor) but on my laptop, I'm unable to connect. Does anyone have a similar issue?

ybaransky

Unfortunately there is an issue with some laptop hardware and windows that prevents an easy wireless connection. The work around is too cumbersome, and as far as I know there is no fix. Luck of the laptop/windows draw. I use a serial cable connection.
The solution details are in the explore scientific website. Don't have the link handy.
-yurij

--
Mounts: iOptron SkyGuiderPro, EXos2-GT PMC-8, GM-8+OnStep, G11+OnStep
Scopes: Orion 80EDT CF, Stellarvue 102Access, AT115EDT, GRO 8RC, Obesssion 20" f/5+stellarcat

Cameras: asi120mm, asi224, asi533c-pro,  asi294mc-pro, canon 6d

Miroslav Bakoš

i also have m1 air and works flawlessly (kstars/ekos)

po 23. 5. 2022 o 22:07 W Gadecki <wgadecki1@...> napísal(a):

The firmware installed is the new one.

One more thing - the mount works perfectly well on a MacBook air I borrowed (regular M1 processor) but on my laptop, I'm unable to connect. Does anyone have a similar issue?

W Gadecki

Thanks @ybaransky, but I'm actually trying to use the USB serial connection. WiFi seems to work but I won't be able to trust it. Anyone with similar experience? 

@Miroslav Bakoš unfortunately the M1 Air is not mine :(

BobH

WG - personally, I always use a wired connection when I'm doing hard-core photography. Wireless seems like a great tool for casual use - visual, out-reach... Lightweight, little equipment, few cables running around. But if I'm taking a multi-hour photographic run, fully guided, controlling focus and filters, long exposures... - then I'd like the intelligence that runs all that to be wired in, with a vanishingly small chance of interruption. Going to need it anyway for the camera(s). It can be a PC near the mount, or an on-mount device (Raspberry-PI device, NUC...) - and then move the wireless to the other side of that intelligence, for perhaps remote monitoring and control - but interference in the signal wont fundamentally affect the task.

For me, brightline: When ES can functionally do everything I want in a session, WiFi it is. I'm firing up ASCOM or INDI - wired, never WiFi.
--
Cheers, Bob
(A recently retired CTO, returning to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus...)

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Optics: RedCat-51; 1980's Celestron C-11; Meade AR5; Various DSLR lenses
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
         Home-built Workstation, Win10Pro (remote control, processing); Galaxy S6 Tablet
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6
Wish-list: 5-inch class APO; Losmandy/PMC8 G-11; RASA-11?
Favorites: Vast glowing clouds of gas and dust

W Gadecki

Well, I 100% agree about the wired connection but the issue I'm trying to resolve is IT DOESN'T WORK with my hardware. :(

BobH

My apologies - I misunderstood. I'll defer to someone using a MAC (I'm mostly a Windows user.)

Two generic things need to be configured correctly for all computers, and are a common source of initial problems making serial connections:

1) Your OS needs to have the correct "serial" port settings for this virtual-serial connection: 115200 baud, 8 data bits, no Parity,1 Stop bit, no Flow Control.

2) Your FTDI-chip USB/Serial cable may need to be programmed to flip a specific signal line. For Windows systems, the cable's default is fine - but some operating systems e.g. ASIAir, handle this signal differently. The chip in the cable can be programmed to accommodate these variations. There is a free utility available under Windows to re-program an FTDI cable - I don't know what its equivalent is for a MAC, nor if the MAC needs the change.

Make sure #1 is correct first. If it is, you should consider #2 next, but someone else will have to give you the "MAC" specifics.
--
Cheers, Bob
(A recently retired CTO, returning to the hobby after a 30 year hiatus...)

Mounts: EXOS-II/PMC-8 (new); SkyWatcher Star Tracker; Meade LXD55; Celestron EQ Fork
Optics: RedCat-51; 1980's Celestron C-11; Meade AR5; Various DSLR lenses
Cameras: ASI071MC & ASI183MC (DSO); ASI178MC (Lunar/Planetary); ASI290MM (guiding); Sony A700 DSLR (desperation)
Misc: Pegasus Pocket Power Adv (power mgmt, USB hub, dew control); ZWO EAF; ZWO 1-Filter Drawer;
PCs: Dell Latitude Laptop, Win10Pro (ASCOM, near-mount control); Pi4b, Linux/Stellarmate (INDI, on-mount control);
         Home-built Workstation, Win10Pro (remote control, processing); Galaxy S6 Tablet
Capture Software: PHD2; SharpCap4 Pro /w ASTAP; NINA; Stellarium; ASCOM 6.5.1; Stellarmate/EKOS/INDI;
Processing SW: PixInsight; Deep Sky Stacker; GIMP; F4W2HDU; Autostakkert; PIPP; RegiStax6
Wish-list: 5-inch class APO; Losmandy/PMC8 G-11; RASA-11?
Favorites: Vast glowing clouds of gas and dust

Harry

The iExos 100 uses a USB cable with no chip.
--
Harry

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ST3 Tripod
Scopes: C6 SCT,  ES  ED80CF, ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Plus, iPad Pro, MacOS, Affinity Photo, SkySafari Plus
Cameras: ZWO 533MC Pro, Nikon D5500 (UV/IR Mod), D600
Misc: Rokinon 135mm F2 Lens, ES USB Power Bank
Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

Wes Mcdonald

Actually, the iexos has the FTDI usb to serial embedded on it.  So yes, this setting of the DTR might be necessary.  I believe someone has mentioned using the program FT_PROG to invert the DTR line.

The kstars people need to respond to this please.  

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Alex Z.

Yes, inverting the DTR was necessary on my IEXOS-100.

Alex Z.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 10:25 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io <MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Issue connecting iEXOS-100 to kstars via USB on M1 Pro Mac #serial #mac

Actually, the iexos has the FTDI usb to serial embedded on it.  So yes, this setting of the DTR might be necessary.  I believe someone has mentioned using the program FT_PROG to invert the DTR line.

The kstars people need to respond to this please.  

Wes.

--
Wes, Southport NC
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera

Wes Mcdonald

Alex z
Kstars?

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

Alex Z.

Correct, I initially completed the DTR invert for use in KSTARS, but i also use the mount with Ascom to connect to other apps, without issue.

Alex Z.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2022 11:14 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io <MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Issue connecting iEXOS-100 to kstars via USB on M1 Pro Mac #serial #mac

Alex z
Kstars?

Wes

--
Wes, Southport NC

W Gadecki

How do you do this an a mac?