Topics

...just a small rant.... I promise.

Chris Tardif

/Rant
It seems to me that one of the most frequent issues people face and post about on these forums has to do with the tablet experience.  Which tablet should people get, where does the database go, why is this different from that.  I want to give a plug to plain old PC and ASCOM.

Yesterday I rebuilt my IEXOS 100 rig on an old laptop because I am dedicating my Intel NUC to my other rig.  Start to finish I had the laptop installed and controlling the mount from APT including plate-solving in about 2 hours including re-installing Windows 10.  The laptop had Home edition and you can't remote control "home" so I installed "pro".  Installation of Windows, ASCOM platform, drivers, APT, ASPS and SharpCap.

To those struggling with tablets....give ASCOM a try.  It's tried and proven and not that scary.
/endrant

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.

wcblack1020@...

I agree, I've been having good, stable performance using ASCOM over a serial connection.
I'm curious do you use ASCOM over the wired serial interface or over the wifi connection?

--

Bill
Location: Dallas, GA

Mounts: EXOS II PMC-Eight, LXD75

Cameras: ZWO ASI294MCPro, ASI385

Chris Tardif

Wired serial.

Everything plugs into a powered usb hub velcro'd to the side of the mount.  Cameras, mount and USB dew heaters.  The pc connects to the home network wirelessly and I just RDP into it from my comfy office.  APT connects to stellarium so that works out pretty well.  I even have APT drop the pictures into a Onedrive folder on the control PC which then find their way to my office PC without me having to do anything.   I'm inherently lazy so i like to have it set up to the point where I don't have to do much.

chris

--
Mounts: Explore Scientific IEXOS-100 w Celestron CG5 tripod, iOptron CEM 40
Scopes: Explore Scientific FCD-100 ED-102CF, Various Canon lenses, ZWO mini-guidescope, StarField 60mm guide-scope.
CameraASI120MM Mini (mono), Altair GPCAM 130
Control PC: Intel NUC
Loc: 44 -79

Jim McKee

Instead of RDP, have you tried ULTRA VNC for windows?  It seems less temperamental and you can control remote and host computer simultaneously.   I can also remote straight from MAC computer    Includes server and client app

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 10:14 AM, Chris Tardif wrote:

[...]

Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10