Latitude adjustment problems/difficulties?

GKHN SRL

Hey all, first time posting here,

I've had the ES exos 2 pmc8 for a couple years now and i'm rly impressed of what it can do, even with heavy load and high'ish focal lengths but I'm having a hard time with the Polar Alignment, with the Latitude adjustment be more specific .
The 2-Knob-system feels very unreliable in my case, even made custom ones since the original ones bent, so I was thinking about upgrading it somehow. Has anyone done anything like that? I'd appreciate any ideas rly, I feel like I'm breaking my fingers adjusting the knobs lol.

I've seen the wedge upgrade for the NEQ6 but I was hoping for a simpler solution ( https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p7490_Vimech-Wedge-for-Skywatcher-NEQ6-and-Orion-Atlas---more-stability.html )

Greetings from germany
Gokhan

Gokhan,

Not sure what you could do about that - any solution would be constrained a bit by the casting material and mount base itself.

But... if bending is a problem, that just says (to me, anyway) that a) the factory handscrew material was a bit soft,  b) there was a lot of friction, and c) maybe a bit of over-tightening?

The thread below deals with knob replacement, some of us have done that.  Have a read.

This is a pretty straightforward change - just needs a couple of Metric threaded knobs.  Here in the sunny south of Canada, I had to order these online rather than pick them up a a hardware store, so you may need to hunt a bit as well, but not difficult.

I did round the ends a bit (that's what Ken't "bald head" refers to), to reduce friction and scraping where they push on the mount.  No biggie - slip a nut onto the threads, file the end a bit, remove the nut (cleans up any burrs on the threads).  Done.

I also put a dab of Superlube on my Alt-Az threads.   I do have to remind myself not to overtighten, but other than that, this works well for me.

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, Serial
Scopes: SW 130P-DS, SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

GKHN SRL

Thanks for the reply Bob, I will check it out!

Wes Mcdonald

I put an acorn nut on the end of the screw that raises the thing.  That seemed to reduce friction quite a bit, but it constrains how low the altitude can be set to.  I have mine at 33 degrees and it is fine.

It is a pain, I have to admit.  I leave mine set between runs, and have the site marked so that the tripod can go back in the exact same place, so additionally adjustment is minimal for each PA.

Wes.

GKHN SRL

Edited

So for anyone who is interested, I tried building my own version of the Vimech Wedge, its still not 100% perfect but I'm trying to get there.
What do you guys think?

- Gokhan

EDIT ok it seems I cant embed the Vidoes so here are the Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkw85xILW6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ame3O_r2Xqo

Larry Young

Gokhan,
     That looks amazing!  Nice work.  When you get it all finished, please share your design notes.

Larry

So for anyone who is interested, I tried building my own version of the Vimech Wedge, its still not 100% perfect but I'm trying to get there.
What do you guys think?

- Gokhan

EDIT ok it seems I cant embed the Vidoes so here are the Links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkw85xILW6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ame3O_r2Xqo

--
EXOS II PMC-8