Lost control of declination with new firmware #UniversalFirmware

Luiz Sanches

I make the upgrade of the firmware in the mount, and I saw that the new driver don't work good with the genetic hub (i prefer this than others).
I was taking photos of a crater in moon and I needed to move constantly manually the DEC and RA in the APT (Astro Photography tool). When I make various moviments in the E or W control, the mount stop to accept more commands and stop the tracking by some seconds. The moviments in N and S still working. After some seconds I can make the moviments correctly, but the mount can stop again.
I changed for Device Hub (POTH don't work very good for me) and this problem almost not appeared anymore, only a few times.

In cartes du Ciel, After the upgrade, the moviments by the arrows (N,S, E, W) stops to work, but slew is ok.

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:

After the initial release a bug was found and new version was sent out.  The behavior you note is indicative of that bug.  Please  reload the firmware from the files section of the Main subgroup.  It will fix the issue.

Wes.

Luiz Sanches

Thank you Wes. I will try!

One note: for me the generic hub works better than POTH and device hub. Do not have the direct control of declination and RA, but works fine all the night! You can say for other people that is having some problems, to try this.

Luiz Sanches

Wes, I found many mensages probably with the same content, the last one was this: https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/9795

It's the file with the bug corrected?

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:
Yes.  This has it.  Also there are minor changes to the UFCT that enhance its user interface, so you might want to load it also.  It's all part of the install kit.
Wes.

Luiz Sanches

Wes, i reload the last firmware (/PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-04-24.zip) and the bug continues.

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:

If your splash screen tells you the version code ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13, then the issue we fixed is fixed. Yours might be something different, perhaps with your clients?

Please elaborate again as to the issue you are seeing, and when it appears relative to usage, client programs, etc.
Wes.

Luiz:

Try this:

1.  Turn on continuous track with loss of comms.  This will ensure the mount does not stop.  Please turn on logging in the driver and send a log to us with the time of day the issue occurs noted se we can examine what is going on.
2.  Take a video that sows the PMC8 lights while the issue is happening.
3.  See if Explorestars will run the mount with the LRDU buttons.

Anyone else use CdC LRDU buttons to move the mount?

Wes.

Luiz Sanches

If your splash screen tells you the version code ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13, then the issue we fixed is fixed. Yours might be something different, perhaps with your clients?

Luiz Sanches

Please elaborate again as to the issue you are seeing, and when it appears relative to usage, client programs, etc.

With CdC the problem is solved! I can use the buttons again, after the upgrade (2021.04.13). But the issue continues:

"I was taking photos of a crater in moon and I needed to move constantly manually the DEC and RA in the APT (Astro Photography tool). When I make various moviments in the E or W control, the mount stop to accept more commands and stop the tracking by some seconds. The moviments in N and S still working. After some seconds I can make the moviments correctly, but the mount can stop again."

You said: Please turn on logging in the driver and send a log to us with the time of day the issue occurs noted se we can examine what is going on.
How can I do that?

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:

Open the ascom driver setup.  Under miscellaneous tab tick the loging tick box, called trace log.  Then close.  This turns on time tagged loging for future analysis.  The file will be save under Documents/ascom/logs/... logs by date.  Please remember to note the time when the things was messing up so we can find the correct area in the log..

Wes.

Jennifer Shelly

Wes:

This might be a similar issue that I had reported for beta testing (post #136).

Luiz:

I think I was able to resolve it by reinstalling the old firmware and old ASCOM driver. Then I followed the instructions step by step that were released in the new firmware/driver install package.  I think the most important step that resolved this was deleting the PMC in the ASCOM profile explorer as shown in the instructions before installing the new driver.  I hope this helps.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Jennifer

Yes the ascom profile can be stubborn in removing the old driver stuff.  Have to be sure the old driver is gone gone.

Luiz Sanches

Thank you Jennifer. Last night I had many problems when I was taking photos of jupiter e I needed to move constantly the mount. I will record a video showing the problem.

Jennifer Shelly

Did you follow the instructions below?

--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

Luiz Sanches

Yes Jennifer, I did.
Lock at the video that show the problem: https://youtu.be/K5RlaSSTyNk

Luiz Sanches

And the Logs

Luiz Sanches

The Log when the problem happened is ASCOM.ES_PMC8.1031.363060 at 10:43

Wes Mcdonald

Luiz:

Well the log is helpful.  It does appear that the mount began refusing to track upon command at 10:38:13 and continued to refuse until 10:38:49.  That is a 36 second drop out.  The log indicates the tracking rate command being issued over and over again , the pmc8 responding with the correct response, but the reported position of the mount in RA was not changing.  As for the DEC axis, it seems it responded correctly at all times.  This is from analysis of the log you pointed out had the problem at 10:43.   Interesting.  When this log was made, what app were you using to control the mount, and what hub did you use?  Was "continuous track with loss of comms" turned on?  You did not lose comms though.  I honestly don't know what could cause this.

Luiz:

Jerry and I have discussed this.  We believe your ST4 port  is a possible reason for this lack of response in the RA axis.  Is your Sidereal rate fraction set to 1 in the driver?  Do you have an ST4 cable from your guide camera plugged in?  In any event, please use the UFCT to disable ST4 guiding and see if the issue goes away.

Wes.