Here is an image of M57 the Ring Nebula that I obtained last night. This is a stack of 34 x 120 second color images processed in MaxIm DL and Photoshop. This image was taken using our 6.5-inch 165 FPL53 CF APO Refractor mounted on our ES/Losmandy G11 PMC-Eight with Telescope Drive Master. This image is UNGUIDED. The camera used was the 16 Mp QHY163C OSC TEC camera system. This image has been reduced in size by 50%.

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/photo/112946/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/photo/112946/1?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Mark Pastor

Jerry
This a beautiful shot. I hope to be getting shots like this someday.
Thanks for sharing it.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 11:54 AM, Mark Pastor wrote:
This a beautiful shot.
Thank Mark!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Joe Izen

Very nice Jerry. Unguided! The stars look perfectly round to my eye.

How hard did you drive the amplifier gain? When you looked at your histogram, what percentage of full scale was the maximum bin?

-Joe

Hi Joe,

The QHY 163C TEC CMOS camera used was set to a QHY Gain value of 20 and an offset of 20. These settings correspond to a Gain of 0.29 e-/ADU, readout noise of 2.2 e- and a dark current of 0.006 e-/pixel/sec. Here is a screenshot showing the histogram of one of the M57 images in MaxIm Dl stretched to show the most detail in the nebula (highlighted in the RED rectangle).

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data