New PMC-Eight Firmware UPDATED STATUS #ExploreScientific #UniversalFirmware

My plans were to release to the general public the new universal version of the PMC-Eight firmware (ver 20A01) late yesterday evening. I have been delayed until today making final tweaks to the installation guide. For those that have been waiting for the new firmware, ASCOM driver, and Universal Firmware Configuration Tool (UFCT), I wanted to assure you that it will be available later today, probably within a couple of hours. I know that we have been talking about this for a couple of months now, and it has actually been under active development and testing for 6 months now so I appreciate everyone's patience. It is finally ready. I think you all will really be happy with the changes and the updated functionality.

I will be posting new messages once it is available for download on the main forum.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

I have just posted the public release of the new PMC-Eight Universal Version 20A01 in the files section. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments in this thread.
I want to thank Wes McDonald for his tireless work on this project over the past 6 months and everyone who uses the PMC-Eight system owes him a large amount of gratitude.

Thank you!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Gord Farmer

Hi jerry
 My exos2 pmc 8 preforms exceptionally well. I removed the tripod legs and mounted the head to a fixed pier.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Parag Modi

Jerry,

I wanted to take this moment to reflect back on my journey into this new and exciting hobby.  Middle of 2020, I started my research into ways to transition into deep sky astrophotography.  I had been doing wide field night sky photography for several years prior to that focusing on Milky way and star trail photography using just my DSLR and tripod.  As I started my research into DSO astrophotography, I came to realize that I needed some way of tracking my shots.  Since I am on a budget, I researched many star trackers available on the market and I was almost ready to pull the trigger on Star adventurer.  By accident during my numerous google searches, I came across Explore Scientific and iEXOS-100.  At that time not a lot of information was available on YouTube or any other online sites to help me decide.  But I saw the descriptions and the vision for OpenGOTO community and was really intrigued.  Since I could get a full Equatorial mount with GOTO functionality and open source community support, I took the plunge in iEXOS-100 purchase late last year.  Since I received my mount in ~Sept 2020, I took time to get familiar with it indoors to learn the rope to say.  I found this forum as an excellent way to get many of my rookie silly questions answered, I especially thank you and Wes McDonald for answering many of my silly questions.  Once I got comfortable with the mount operation, I finally took an actual test spin in my backyard in December 2020 and started on targets around constellation Orion.  Every session since then I had small successes and some stumbles as I learned.  This forum community has been outstanding in helping me out with each of my stumbles by providing quick responses the next morning after my stumbles.

I'm still a rookie using just the mount and my DSLR so far, but I feel that the Explore Scientific community has ensured that I don't get rookie burnout and abandon a wonderful hobby!  The vision of OpenGOTO also ensures that the product I bought keeps extending it's capabilities, like these latest releases demonstrate.  My sincere gratitude to everyone involved in this community for turning me into an astro addict.

I think I absolutely made the right decision!
--
Parag Modi

Mounts: ES iEXOS-100
Scopes: APS-C Sigma 18-300 mm
Cameras:  Nikon D7200 (Unmodified)
Misc: Bahtinov Mask, K&F Concept Clear night filter
Software: ExploreStars, Stellarium

shredderf16

Gord,
Please send some more pics of your mounting scheme. I'd like to do the same.
Jerry Barth

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jack B

Hi
I am newbie at all this but have been successfully using my PMC-Eight EXOS2 mount for the last few months. I have just attempted to install new firmware and have come to a dead end.
Have followed all the instructions with regard firmware update and driver update but now have a problem with the UFCT. For some reason it will not allow me to select EXOS2 option and use the 'get current configuration' button.
This is the message:
14:03:58.634 ESGi1152000000040040000900060011010!
14:03:58.634 Mount Type Error!:Please Select G11 or EXOS2 Mount

Help! It was going so well up to this point.
John B

Bryan McClanahan

I am attempting to update my G11-PMC8 unit an i am getting the same message  when I do a "get configuration":

every time I select the G11 mount type and "set new configuration, it reverst to iEXOS100

11:54:45.252

11:54:45.258 Sending Config String: ESSi1152000101040040040900060011010!
11:54:45.258 REBOOTING PMC-Eight System...
11:54:45.258 Initializing PMC-Eight ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13
11:54:45.258 ==================================================
11:54:45.273 Copyright 2013-2021 Explore Scientific LLC.
11:54:45.273 Copyright 2013-2021 Gerald R Hubbell
11:54:45.273 1010 South 48th Street, Springdale, AR 72762
11:54:45.289 PMC-Eight Support 1-866-252-3811
11:54:45.289 http://www.explorescientificusa.com
11:54:45.305 Portions of FIRMWARE covered by MIT LICENSE terms
11:54:45.305 --------------------------------------------------
11:54:45.320 Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Controller - Startup
11:54:45.320 BAUD Rate Value: P0 115200
11:54:45.320 WiFi Protocol: P2 TCP/IP
11:54:45.320 WiFi Chan Number: 11
11:54:45.336 Continuous Track with no Comms: P4 FALSE
11:54:45.336 RA Run on Boot: P5 Not Running
11:54:45.336 Hemisphere set to: P6 South
11:54:45.352 Guide Rate Fraction RA: P7.40
11:54:45.352 Guide Rate Fraction DEC: P8.40
11:54:45.352 Mount Type Designator: P9.0
11:54:45.367 Unit type: ES1A01CB20A01, ESP8266, DST4
11:54:45.367 Slew current: 900ma
11:54:45.367 Track current: 600ma
11:54:45.367 Analog ST4 port detected
11:54:45.383 ST4 Port Enabled
11:54:45.383 UPDATE SUCCESSFUL!
11:54:45.383 BUSY! Please Wait...
11:54:51.587
11:54:51.587 BUSY! Please Wait...
11:54:55.696 ESGi1152000000040040000900060011010!
11:54:55.696 Mount Type Error!:Please Select G11 or EXOS2 Mount
11:55:00.665 ESGi1152000000040040000900060011010!
11:55:00.665 Mount Type Error!:Please Select G11 or EXOS2 Mount
11:55:05.622 ESGi1152000000040040000900060011010!
11:55:05.625 Mount Type Error!:Please Select G11 or EXOS2 Mount

reboot and show splash yields this:

11:56:34.431 REBOOTING PMC-Eight System...
11:56:34.433

11:56:38.384 ==================================================
11:56:38.399 Initializing PMC-Eight ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13
11:56:38.399 ==================================================
11:56:38.399 Copyright 2013-2021 Explore Scientific LLC.
11:56:38.414 Copyright 2013-2021 Gerald R Hubbell
11:56:38.414 1010 South 48th Street, Springdale, AR 72762
11:56:38.414 PMC-Eight Support 1-866-252-3811
11:56:38.430 http://www.explorescientificusa.com
11:56:38.430 Portions of FIRMWARE covered by MIT LICENSE terms
11:56:38.430 --------------------------------------------------
11:56:38.430 Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Controller - Startup
11:56:38.445 BAUD Rate Value: P0 115200
11:56:38.445 WiFi Protocol: P2 TCP/IP
11:56:38.445 WiFi Chan Number: 11
11:56:38.461 Continuous Track with no Comms: P4 FALSE
11:56:38.461 RA Run on Boot: P5 Not Running
11:56:38.461 Hemisphere set to: P6 South
11:56:38.461 Guide Rate Fraction RA: P7.40
11:56:38.476 Guide Rate Fraction DEC: P8.40
11:56:38.476 Mount Type Designator: P9.0
11:56:38.476 Unit type: ES1A01CB20A01, ESP8266, DST4
11:56:38.492 Slew current: 900ma
11:56:38.492 Track current: 600ma
11:56:38.492 Analog ST4 port detected

Jack B

Hi
Been stuck on this for a few hours!
The instructions say hit the GET Current Config', which resulted in error message.
In desperation I just hit the REBOOT Show Splash button and it then downloaded the info and then let me make the changes.
Think the instructions may be in error(?)
John B

Bryan McClanahan

I was able to get past this and it seems to be working.

I manually sent the ESSi command based on the screen shot in the manual. This worked since the screen shot showed the settings for the G11.

I used: ESSi1152000101040040041100070011010!  but this is going to be different for an Exos2. the mount type and motor current settings start with the 411000700.  The 4 is the mount type, 1100 is slew motor current, and 0700 is tracking motor current.  you need to know the exact hardware versions in the controller and you can set the mount type based on info in the firmware installation manual. motor currents are in the installation manual as well.

As a part of my troubleshooting I also went and disabled all power management on all the USB hubs.  I don't know if this made any difference.  My USB>serial adapter was already turned off.

Now everything is behaving correctly and I can change settings, set the config using the UFCT and everything reads back correctly.  Talking and working through ASCOM.

Jerry or anyone on the Dev team, let me know if there is any additional information I can provide to help identify the issue here.

Wes Mcdonald

BRian:

The splash screen indicates you have a PMC8 silver box (correct) but an ESP8266 wifi module.  Do you?  I didn't know the G11 ever came with one of those.

Wes.

Bryan please send me a splash screen of the boot now that the thing is working.
Wes.

Bryan McClanahan

yeah, I have the silver box.

but no, I think once I got it working it is reporting as the RN131.

when it was not updating or reporting the configuration correctly, it seemed like it was just feeding back the default iEXOS100 configuration.

this is what I get now:
14:37:22.989 ==================================================
14:37:23.004 Initializing PMC-Eight ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13
14:37:23.008 ==================================================
14:37:23.008 Copyright 2013-2021 Explore Scientific LLC.
14:37:23.023 Copyright 2013-2021 Gerald R Hubbell
14:37:23.023 1010 South 48th Street, Springdale, AR 72762
14:37:23.039 PMC-Eight Support 1-866-252-3811
14:37:23.039 http://www.explorescientificusa.com
14:37:23.055 Portions of FIRMWARE covered by MIT LICENSE terms
14:37:23.055 --------------------------------------------------
14:37:23.055 Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Controller - Startup
14:37:23.055 BAUD Rate Value: P0 115200
14:37:23.070 WiFi Protocol: P2 TCP/IP
14:37:23.070 WiFi Chan Number: 11
14:37:23.070 Continuous Track with no Comms: P4 TRUE
14:37:23.086 RA Run on Boot: P5 Not Running
14:37:23.086 Hemisphere set to: P6 North
14:37:23.086 Guide Rate Fraction RA: P7.40
14:37:23.102 Guide Rate Fraction DEC: P8.40
14:37:23.102 Mount Type Designator: P9.4
14:37:23.102 Unit type: ES2A06BA20A01, RN131, AST4
14:37:23.117 Slew current: 1100ma
14:37:23.117 Track current: 700ma
14:37:23.117 Analog ST4 port detected
14:37:23.117 ST4 Port Enabled

Wes Mcdonald

Folks having issues with setting up their new firmware where the thing keeps insisting you must select either one mount or another, and even though you do it seems to still blow up.

I have tried to duplicate this behavior but to no avail in both an iEXOS and an EXOS2/G11 PMC8.  But I believe the issue is related to P9 in these machines.

If you are having this problem try this:

1.  After loading the new firmware etc, I assume you are now running the UFCT.
2.  In the command window at the top, after the system is booted, type %%% and Send to put the unit in debug mode.
3.  Now type P9x  in the command window and send it.  The value of x should be:
0 == iExos
4 == G11
8 == Exos2
You should see P9x appear in the message area of the UFCT.

4.  When the echo of the P9 command returns, type into the command line ### and send it.  The message area will display a message indicating that Debug mode is exited and Command mode is enabled.

Now press the REBOOT Button.  At this point when the unit boots up the correct unit type should be displayed and you can continue to set the other values along the left side as you wish them to be, followed by a SET CONFIGURATION.

This is simpler than what Bryan did, but should have the same effect.

Wes.

Bryan:

Yes, and if you scroll down a bit you will see the wifi type it detected.

You are correct, when it was not working it was echoing the iEXOS configuration.  But the firmware had detected the hardware set to not be consistent with the iExos.  This is why it keept telling you to change the mount to a G11 or EXOS2.  On first boot, it cannot tell it is not an iEXOS until the hardware is evaluated, and the user selects the correct type.  It is beyond me why your unit had this issue.

I believe the work around I just sent will cure this ill.

Wes.

ettore.ribaudo@...

Hello Wes
Some problems with the iexos 100.
1) pulseguide doesn't work.
2) not save the configuration in Indi.

Ettore

Wes Mcdonald

Ettore:

If these are problems experienced using INDI then the INDI community will need to work on them.

The iexos guiding is exactly the same as all of the firmware for all of the mounts.  The pulse guide works well using the ES ASCOM driver.

All INDI questions should be posted to the DEV subgroup.

Thanks,
Wes.

Jack B

Thanks for your time and attention Wes

On Wednesday, 14 April 2021, 20:39:47 BST, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

Thought I was clear on this firmware update.
Now I am having trouble with slewing to objects. The mount seems to be going in exactly the opposite direction to wherever I point it.
I'm using ascom device hub and CdC, which I have been using for a couple of months without problem before update. I've checked settings in driver setup and Ascom profile explorer. I chose Northern hemisphere in firmware Config tool.
I have tried using POTH but same problem occurs.
I am beggining to feel I should have left well alone, if ain't broke etc.

14:50:08.570 Initializing PMC-Eight ES20A01 Release 2021.04.13
14:50:08.586 ==================================================
14:50:08.586 Copyright 2013-2021 Explore Scientific LLC.
14:50:08.586 Copyright 2013-2021 Gerald R Hubbell
14:50:08.586 1010 South 48th Street, Springdale, AR 72762
14:50:08.602 PMC-Eight Support 1-866-252-3811
14:50:08.602 http://www.explorescientificusa.com
14:50:08.602 Portions of FIRMWARE covered by MIT LICENSE terms
14:50:08.602 --------------------------------------------------
14:50:08.618 Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Controller - Startup
14:50:08.618 BAUD Rate Value: P0 115200
14:50:08.618 WiFi Protocol: P2 TCP/IP
14:50:08.618 WiFi Chan Number: 11
14:50:08.633 Continuous Track with no Comms: P4 FALSE
14:50:08.633 RA Run on Boot: P5 Not Running
14:50:08.633 Hemisphere set to: P6 North
14:50:08.633 Guide Rate Fraction RA: P7.40
14:50:08.649 Guide Rate Fraction DEC: P8.40
14:50:08.649 Mount Type Designator: P9.8
14:50:08.649 Unit type: ES2A06BA20A01, RN131, AST4
14:50:08.665 Slew current: 900ma
14:50:08.665 Track current: 600ma
14:50:08.665 Analog ST4 port detected
14:50:08.680 ST4 Port Disabled
14:50:08.680 RN-131 Module Detected
14:50:08.680 --------------------------------------------------

Wes Mcdonald

Jack

Check that your latitude has the right sign in the driver.

Jack B

Sorry Wes, I haven't got the hang of this forum yet. I've been sending messages all over the place!
In a nut shell, my previously well behaved mount keeps losing it's way since updated firmware.
The sign you refer to in the driver for latitude is a + (?)
I have entered that but when I return to properties it doesn't retain the + sign. I don't know if that's significant?
The way I entered the co-ordinates didn't seem to be a problem previous to firmware update.
Is there a way that I can revert to previous setup?
Jack