NEW Updated (Fixed) Android ExploreStars Application APK File Available for Download #ExploreScientific #ExploreStars #Android

The Updated (Fixed) version of the Android ExploreStars APK is now available on our Software and Downloads Webpage.
You will see the link to the new APK download in the Welcome to ExploreStars section near the top of the page.

ExploreStars Software & Database Downloads – PMC-Eight System Download — Explore Scientific LLC (explorescientificusa.com)

Here is the link to the file itself:

https://02d3287.netsolhost.com/pmc-eight/ExploreStars31_20210718.zip

I wanted to get this out to everyone while we are waiting for the program to be updated on the Google Store and Amazon Store.
This version has a couple of minor updates to improve pointing performance and a change to simplify the installation.

There is no longer a need to install the database separately using a separate database file. The APK and the store download will be the only file to download and install and contains the complete database. The previous version requiring a separate file loaded on your microSD card was the source of the problem with Android version 10 and 11. These versions put more restrictions and size limits on storing data on the microSD card so the database was moved to internal storage to correct that issue. This new version (Build 31) also applies the precession calculation correctly when calculating the JNOW RADEC star coordinates and displays the correct JNOW values now. This can cause some confusion if you are referencing another stellar database along with using Explore Stars.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused those customers who recently purchased an Android device with version 10 or 11 installed, I know it was a PITA.
Please post any comments or questions you may have.

Thanks again for your support of the PMC-Eight system and your contributions to the OpenGOTO Community.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Euan Milne

Edited

Downloaded and appears to be working fine on my Android 10 tablet.
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS-100
Scopes: TAL-1

JJ75

Struggling with my Android 10 tablet (lenovo yoga smart tab) seems to have ended thanks to this much awaited update. This seems to be working without any issue with "9t_17a_EXOS2.eeprom" firmware update.

Thanks for digging into the underlying Android permissions with newer Android versions 10 and 11 and for releasing this. In the meantime I had to fall back to Explorestars version 1.6 to have a working setup (which worked even with a DB installed in external memory in the same tablet and Android version, go figure).

In an unrelated topic, is there an ETA on the feature requests that are #registered with the Feature Request group?.

--
JJ Iturregui Abad | Navarre, Spain
ES Comet Hunter 152mm f/4.8 | ES EXOS2 with PMC-8 | Celestron 120mm f/8.3 OmniXLT (acromat) | Celestron CG-4 (manual German equatorial mount)

On Sun, Aug 8, 2021 at 07:48 AM, JJ75 wrote:
In an unrelated topic, is there an ETA on the feature requests that are #registered with the Feature Request group?.
Hi JJ,

As you know, we have done a lot of work over the past 9 months and are continuing to update all of our firmware and software when issues are discovered. We have or have plans to correct a large number of the issues/enhancements requested in the Feature Request group. We need to get the posted items updated to show the current status of each of the features. This will be addressed within the next couple of weeks so keep an eye out for an update announcement on this.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Wolfgang Knoll

Dear Jerry,

I recently became the proud owner of an ES EXOS2 GT with PMC-Eight. However, I am having some issues with the ExploreStars app on my tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T515) 10" running Android 11.

The latest version offered in the Google Play Store, 1.9.9.9.
1.9.21220.526 DB Ver: 2,3 [85643] FW Ver: 1.00 does not work properly.
Everything seems to work until I select an item from the Messier list on the catalogue page. The app then crashes without any further error message.
This also happens when selecting an element from the NGC list.

The version downloaded from ES
1.9.21199.525 DB Ver: 2,3 [85643] FW Ver: 1.00 shows the same behaviour.

Although the data is now stored within the app according to the description, a directory on my SD card is specified on the settings page: Data: /storage/0123-4567/ExploreStars/.
The behaviour of the app is the same, regardless of whether there is data there or not.

The older ExploreStars version 1.9.20051.494 (1.9.6 ?) does not show the errors and seems to work.

Does it make sense to make further attempts to get the current version to work or would I be better off sticking with version 1.9.6?

Maybe I read it over, but what does the Ignore/Use FW field on the Setting page mean, what can I set with it?

Many greetings from Münster, Germany.

--
Wolfgang Knoll, Münster, Germany

Mount: ES EXOS II GT WITH PMC-8
Telescope: Meade 6" SC, 152/1520
Camera: DSLR Pentax K30
Hardware: Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10"
Software: ExploreStars App, Siril, Startools

Daniel

I am having the same issues as Wolfgang. Is there any news on this?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 08:34 AM, Daniel wrote:
I am having the same issues as Wolfgang. Is there any news on this?
I uninstalled ExploreStars on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A running Android version 7.1.1 and downloaded and installed ExploreStars 1.9.9.9. The install when fine and I was able to connect to the PMC-Eight fine. I started the app and was able to select and slew to objects in the catalog (Messier and Solar System) fine. I do not have an SD card installed.  I am not sure what the issue is, but it might be related to the version of Android. I will see what I can update my Tab A to.

Sorry Wolfgang for the very late response. I did not see you message. The Ignore FW basically means you can select your mount manually, otherwise it selects it automatically based on your mount's firmware configuration.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 09:04 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
I will see what I can update my Tab A to.
I have all the latest software updates on my Tab A

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Daniel

This happened to me after I had to do a system update on my Android 10 tablet. The connection with the mount works fine. But as soon as I select something from the catalog (except planets), the app crashes. Also when I start the alignment and then call something from the catalog, the app crashes. Before the system update, everything was running great. Resetting the tablet to factory settings also did not bring any improvement.

On my smartphone with Android 11 installed, it is the same problem.

Wes Mcdonald

Gents with android crash issues

This was something we experienced with the first version of android 15.  There is a file on the website which is an older version of the android Explorestars that seems to work with the newer android versions.  Note the file in the play store also seems to work for most.

Load the older version and see what happens.

EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera