Topics

New Year new ES G11 problems

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Last year had a horrible  experience with the ES G11 mount & they were kind enough to replace it for me and give me a new mount that worked perfectly fine. Now I have run into some new issues : guide pulses are not being received by the mount at all. Tried with Lodestar X2 camera & qhy camera ( Made sure the relevant eeprom files were loaded for each). Changed laptops and still the problem persists. I am unable to guide at all. Had a feeling that it was due to the latest windows update but was able to rule that out. Is anyone else having these issues?

P.S : I am not getting any updates from Jerry & ES . Even opened a thread in the CN forum but no help is coming. Seriously thinking about giving up on the mount now.

Sunil

David Pickett

Sunil,

Let me get this straight. Have you tried to steer
the mount with ExploreStars, without guiding? If
that works, I suggest that Windows has nothing to
do with it if your guide camera is connected
directly to the PMC box. It may have something to do with that input.

David

At 06:32 12-01-18, cyclops12321@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Last year had a horrible experience with the ES
G11 mount & they were kind enough to replace it
for me and give me a new mount that worked
perfectly fine. Now I have run into some new
issues : guide pulses are not being received by
the mount at all. Tried with Lodestar X2 camera
& qhy camera ( Made sure the relevant eeprom
files were loaded for each). Changed laptops and
still the problem persists. I am unable to guide
at all. Had a feeling that it was due to the
latest windows update but was able to rule that
out. Is anyone else having these issues?

P.S : I am not getting any updates from Jerry &
ES . Even opened a thread in the CN forum but no
help is coming. Seriously thinking about giving up on the mount now.

Sunil

r_hoskin@...

FWIW,

There's a thread on CN (also more on ASCOM-Talk) about a January Win10 update that affected ASCOM and the OPs' guiding.  If you read through it, there's a KBxxx that's been fingered as the culprit and apparently some success in rolling it back.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/604318-warning-jan-2018-windows-10-update-breaks-phd2-guiding-of-paramount/#entry8321329

hubbell_jerry@...

I am in contact with Sunil to verify the operation of his Lodestar camera. He just told me he received a new one with the correct MOSFET transistors in the Autoguider port interface. He verified that the calibration is still good with the camera and that the mount responds correctly to the camera inputs. I am getting on TeamViewer with Sunil to test it myself to see if we can troubleshoot this problem.  I will get to the bottom of this.

Sunil has been having great success with the system over the past few months.

hubbell_jerry@...

I did some extensive testing with Sunil last night for a couple of hours and determined that there was a large declination drift component affecting the PHD2 calibration causing it to be marginal at best. We manually moved the mount using the manual guide function of PHD2 and determined that the mount was responding correctly. We verified the calibration of the auto-guiding port on the PMC-Eight and made sure everything was doing what it was supposed to. We also identified a large amount of lash in the RA axis which I thought was probably contributing to the problem. Sunil adjusted the RA worm mesh and improved that somewhat.

The important lesson learned was that it is important to perform a pretty good polar alignment prior to performing a PHD auto-guider calibration to minimize the bias that is introduced by the declination drift. This results in the motion of the mount being a vector product of the declination drift and the guide motion in each direction. This distorts the calibration data.

I am continuing to work with Sunil to help resolve any other issue that are identified.

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Update :

Polar alignment : https://imgur.com/a/8ouEo

Calibration Graph : https://imgur.com/a/8ouEo , https://imgur.com/PLMBpS6 , https://imgur.com/QlU62ER

guided 2 min exposure : https://imgur.com/a/4QjxJ

unguided 2 min : https://imgur.com/a/oozAr

My backfocus wasnt perfect as I was pressed for time ( Lugging all these from second floor to ground floor and set up on cloudy night is hard enough not to mention the cold wind & weather ) . Can anyone tell me what I am seeing is dec drift or poor backfocus adjustment? If it was a dec drift then all stars will point in one direction but as seen in the image (especially on the ones on the left & right) they seem to point towards each other indicating poor backfocus problem.

Sunil

Sent with Mailtrack