Topics

New Year new ES G11 problems

hubbell_jerry@...

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <yahoo@...> wrote :

At 19:12 04-02-18, gaetanthibault@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I just bought a new ES G11 - PMC-Eight mount for Xmas. I was
>successful with PA (PoleMaster) and with ExploreStar 2 or 3 star
>alignment. The mount is tracking so far. It is not a ES G11 motor
>gear belt problem. But, as reported by Sunil, I was not able to
>perform autoguiding using PHD2. I am unable to guide at all. Also, I
>had a feeling that it was due to the latest windows update but was
>able to also rule that out.

Just for the record, the Gll does not have a belt.

>My first question: Are there only Sunil (cyclops12321@...) and
>myself having this guiding problem?

We never heard back here from Jerry or Sunil as to whether Sunil's
PHD2 problem had been sorted out.

David

Hi David,

I am working with Sunil on his problem, he has had this problem before and it is intermittent in nature. I am not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Sincerely apologize for the delays in my response and if my responses seem weird as I am taking medications. Jerry has been instrumental in helping me get rid of my issue but for some reason it seems to be coming back. Even the phd2 guys are not sure what is causing this - the only theory they have is that there seems to be a communication issue between the motor drive module in PMC8 where as it over compensates for DEC guiding ( an issue that doesnt replicate itself in manual guiding) and the signal reaching the motor.  Jerry, based on the list I submitted to you , what do you think is really going on. My biggest issue is this :

When I use sharpcap  polar align , I dont need to do any star alignments because the target is right in my field of view. Where as when I use Polemaster , I have to do a star alignment. That star alignment actually makes my goto worse - off by arc- mins. I make sure the polemaster camera is mounted the way its supposed to ( facing west).I would be very happy if others can chime in on this as phd2 seems to agree with sharpcap poalr alignment where as Polemaster is termed wrong. If thats the case Jerry ,I have no explanation for all the images I took. I just started using sharpcap and all this time polemaster was making my polar alignment worse . For some reason either phd2 was trying to over- compensate for the bad alignment by causing drifts ( hence eliminating flexure) or we are dealing with an issue with PMC8 you have never encountered before. I would be very happy if someone can verify the following as I am having a tough time moving things around  with a dislocated shoulder -

1) Polar aligment difference between polemaster & sharpcap 3.0 - I can share my sharpcap pro key if you guys dont want to waste money :)

2) If you align with polemaster how good is your goto? how good is your goto with Sharpcap? ( I am talking about the 1st star alignment you do after a polar alignment). For a $ 3000 , I would atleast expect my goto's to be accurate.

3) Does the mount park in awkward positions for anyone? I have seen some pretty awkward park states :P  .

I sincerely apologize if I am sounding angry, but 8 months of having to witness the same  issue over and over will make you insane - especially if you seem to be the only one having these issues.

Sunil

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 9:48 AM, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <yahoo@...> wrote :

At 19:12 04-02-18, gaetanthibault@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I just bought a new ES G11 - PMC-Eight mount for Xmas. I was
>successful with PA (PoleMaster) and with ExploreStar 2 or 3 star
>alignment. The mount is tracking so far. It is not a ES G11 motor
>gear belt problem. But, as reported by Sunil, I was not able to
>perform autoguiding using PHD2. I am unable to guide at all. Also, I
>had a feeling that it was due to the latest windows update but was
>able to also rule that out.

Just for the record, the Gll does not have a belt.

>My first question: Are there only Sunil (cyclops12321@...) and
>myself having this guiding problem?

We never heard back here from Jerry or Sunil as to whether Sunil's
PHD2 problem had been sorted out.

David

Hi David,

I am working with Sunil on his problem, he has had this problem before and it is intermittent in nature. I am not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Sent with Mailtrack

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Hi all,

         Just now spoke with Jerry. Going to try something he suggested on the Azimuth. Will update you guys on Wednesday. Hopefully we all have clear skies :)

Sunil

Sent with Mailtrack

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <yahoo@...> wrote :

At 19:12 04-02-18, gaetanthibault@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I just bought a new ES G11 - PMC-Eight mount for Xmas. I was
>successful with PA (PoleMaster) and with ExploreStar 2 or 3 star
>alignment. The mount is tracking so far. It is not a ES G11 motor
>gear belt problem. But, as reported by Sunil, I was not able to
>perform autoguiding using PHD2. I am unable to guide at all. Also, I
>had a feeling that it was due to the latest windows update but was
>able to also rule that out.

Just for the record, the Gll does not have a belt.

>My first question: Are there only Sunil (cyclops12321@...) and
>myself having this guiding problem?

We never heard back here from Jerry or Sunil as to whether Sunil's
PHD2 problem had been sorted out.

David

Hi David,

I am working with Sunil on his problem, he has had this problem before and it is intermittent in nature. I am not sure what the ultimate outcome will be.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Sent with Mailtrack

hubbell_jerry@...

I just talked with Sunil on the phone about this and he is going to make sure his adjustment knobs are tight when making the measurement for the polar alignment. Unfortunately, the weather is not cooperating right now and it will be Wednesday before we here anything more probably.

It makes no sense that Sharpcap and Polemaster would give 2 different results when adjusting for near perfect polar alignment (several arc-min difference). I think that he suspects the adjustment knobs are not fully tightened causing some flexure in the Azimuth axis to be effecting the system.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Jerry,

          Tried giving you a call but couldn't reach you. I was able to test the scope & I can definitely say that its not the Alt or Az knobs flexure.That is not the issue. I opened a topic at the phd2 forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/open-phd-guiding/EOOa7H3tkPU

Based on the input I received from them , they think that the DEC step size is too large(RA is perfect). But the thing that alarmed them was the DEC guide speed.They think the .38 sidereal rate might also be an issue but when I told them that's the intended speed they eliminated that as the issue as well.Based on all of my guidelogs & calibration files, they eliminated phd2 as the culprit which leaves me only with PMC8. They have a feeling that the DEC guide rate is not properly in the PMC8 ( They aren't familiar with the system :P)  which is causing the disparity in RA & DEC guide rates. Jerry I think its better that instead of shipping the mount , I would suggest that I test it with a new PMC8 box.

Awaiting your response.

Sunil

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Update:

            Ending up sending the mount to Explore Scientific as it seems there was some flexure issues in the mount assembly. FOund it out by accident :) . Appreciate the help Jerry. Will update you once I get it back after Alex has a look at it.

Sunil

Sent with Mailtrack

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 5:08 PM, cyclops12321@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

[...]

Jerry if you are reading this can you please give me a call?

Sunil