Topics

Newbie Alignment issues - Explorestars Android #Android

Paul Mogg

Hi all,
I'm having Alignment issues, I just bought an EOS-2 PMC-8 mount a week or so ago and am still struggling to get it to basically work. ( I always preface with the fact that I'm a complete beginner to all this, though I've read a lot of material )

Having figured out how I think a 3 star alignment should be done on Explorestars, through reading lots of posts and watching videos ( as there is no user manual available ), last night I finally though, after more than an hour of leveling, balancing, collimating, Telrad alignment, polar alignment using the polar finder and an app and the Telrad, and finally 3 star alignment in Explorestars, that I had it down. The software told me I had completed the 3 star alignment. I then told it to slew the EOS-2 to Mars as a test, ...whereupon it immediately slewed back to the North star and it seemed all my hard work was for nothing, which was frustrating to say the least.

Most frustrating of all was that, having discovered the list of "Alignment Stars" presented by pressing the "Catalog" button, I noticed that the Search function was no longer available, I really need this as I only have a limited knowledge of constellations and names of stars at this point.

Anyway, so I am back to square one of only having limited success by using the "SYNC" button to do a "1 star alignment" on an object ( though I know that's not exactly what the SYNC button does ).

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong much appreciated. Thank you.
--

Equipment:
Explore Scientific EOS-2 PMC-Eight mount
Skywatcher 200DPS Newtonian telescope
Macbook air 
Huawei Android T5 Tablet
Nikon D3200 DSLR
Software: ExploreStars Android & WIndows, Stellarium OSX & Android, AstroDSLR

Mikas

Hi Paul,

I'm not an expert at all but learned some things after struggling with Skywatcher EQ5 pro with Synscan and EOS-2 PMC-8. What I would do:
1 Forget about 2 or 3-star alignment for a while. You need it only for visual observation and more accurate pointing to deep sky objects.
2 Level your mount.
3 Approximately Polar align
4 Grab spirit level and lay it on an even surface. Turn level 180 degrees and make sure it shows the same as before. If not look for another one.
5 Carefully remove mount head, making sure tripod legs do not move.
6 Level tripod by placing the spirit level on top of it.
7 On Explorestars Android app:
Settings; Reset Alignment, make sure time is correct, Load GPS coordinates, check if you mount is selected.
Catalog; Solar, Mars, Slew to object
8 Don't touch any controls! With polar alignment azimuth and declaration adjustment screws only center Mars on your Nikon D3200.
9 Fine-tune centering with Explorestars Android buttons and press sync.
10 Set your Nikon D3200 DSLR to 720p 60fps and start recording video

Paul Mogg

Thanks for that Mikas, yes I get what you're saying, stick to basics at first, just get it to slew roughly to something. I thought I had gone through that stage with using the SYNC button to align on Mars which I had working previously, and then using the button controls to tune in more finely, but this only works for slewing small distances.

Unfortunately, after all of this last night, the DEC axis motor system seems now to have a problem and is not moving that axis at all. It makes all the noises it normally makes when manually slewing using the compass rose controls, and I removed the cover to the belt drive and all seems to be moving there correctly, just the head is not moving on that axis. I have both clutches all tightened as I was told they should be. I'll post about this elsewhere as if it is faulty I guess I'll have to send it back. Oh well, onward and upward.

--

Equipment:
Explore Scientific EOS-2 PMC-Eight mount
Skywatcher 200DPS Newtonian telescope
Telrad.
28mm 2" and 12mm 1.25" lenses.
2 and 5 x Barlows.
Macbook air 
Huawei Android T5 Tablet
Nikon D3200 DSLR
Software: ExploreStars Android & WIndows, Stellarium OSX & Android, AstroDSLR