Topics

No polar star to align to in northern hemisphere #EXOS2 #TECHNICAL #polaralignment

Inthewoods

My view of polaris is obstructed, near the east coast, up in the mountain range, trees surround me, the night sky is open only to the north east with a view of Perseus and Auriga. My basic steps are the same.
1. Magnetic north
2. Check alignment with app like starwalk.. mounted to scope.
3. Try to do 2 star or three star alignment.
4. Telescope sometimes gets closely aligned other times not so much, more often than not.

Any suggestions on aligning with app under restricted conditions would be helpful.

Harry

Have you tried PS Align Pro (Polar Scope Align Pro)? I have had reasonably good results. It has a feature for daylight aligning that you can also use at night. It will Align altitude and azimuth. With any app or compass, try to use “True” north. I made a holder to hold my cell phone using the dovetail clamp on the mount, before I mount the scope. I used wood so no metal would affect compass. There are other “holders “ on this forum for this purpose.
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Inthewoods

Thanks will look into that. I do use my phone to align. That only does so much. I try to locate stars in my limited view in the app but they give me stars that o can't see. So I try  to select the strs to align with and that is when things go awry.

Harry

I have the same issue. I turn the “Auto Align” feature OFF when using the ExploreStars app. I use Sky Safari to identify what stars I can see for alignment from my location or want to track, then I use the Search feature in ExploreStars to choose the alignment stars I can see. With the “Auto Align” selected on, I have to keep skipping so many undesirable stars. I use both IOS and Amazon Android versions of ExploreStars.
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL
Scopes: ES AR102,  Meade ETX 90 EC (Deforked)
Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight, ExploreStars IPAD & Fire HD8,
Oberwerk 5000 Tripod, Binos: Oberwerk 15x70, 8x40

Inthewoods

That might work will try it next time.

Aaron Berner

Harry,

i have turned the auto align off just as you have done but I still struggle with that the alignment. I have tried the search function as well but I don’t see how to sync once I find a star that is visible, so no alignment can be completed for me. I guess I must be missing something. Any suggestions that you could provide would be appreciated as not being able to align is making it a little difficult to goto new locations.

Thank
Aaron

Wes Mcdonald

Arron

Are you using iOS?  The search feature does not work during alignment in iOS as it does in android.  For iOS turn off auto align and use the next button to find a star that you can see.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

brian skinner

Hi, you need to align to TRUE  North not magnetic. So for me this means pointing my mount 345 magnetic. I then assume my mount is polar aligned.
With auto alignment off I then select visible stars from the database  (via the catalogue page (android), slew and sync to each star in turn using the LRUD soft buttons if necessary and away you go. Hope that helps and kind regards, Brian

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 15:46 Inthewoods, <jetbuggy39wre@...> wrote:
My view of polaris is obstructed, near the east coast, up in the mountain range, trees surround me, the night sky is open only to the north east with a view of Perseus and Auriga. My basic steps are the same.
1. Magnetic north
2. Check alignment with app like starwalk.. mounted to scope.
3. Try to do 2 star or three star alignment.
4. Telescope sometimes gets closely aligned other times not so much, more often than not.

Any suggestions on aligning with app under restricted conditions would be helpful.

Aaron Berner

Yes I’m using iOS, thanks.