Topics

Older Losmandy G-11 and PMC-8

Mark Grattan

I have an older G-11 (from around 2013) with a Gemini-2 control system.  I have found the latter a little cumbersome as just an occasional astronomer.  Questions:  are there advantages to the PMC-8 system over the Gemini-2?  Is the PMC-8 compatible with the older G-11 models?

Thanks for any help,

Mark G

hubbell_jerry@...

At this time we do not offer an upgrade to the PMC-Eight system for pre-owned G-11s. We plan on offering them in the future. The PMC-Eight offers several features that are not included in Gemini system. Please visit explorescientificusa.com to see more about the PMC-Eight system.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC

hubbell_jerry@...

I have an update to the answer to Mark's question. I will be announcing our plans for an upgrade path for existing G-11's today or tomorrow. I will have the details for how to order it, pricing, and all that is included. You will be able to order this kit immediately after the announcement.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh@...

hubbell_jerry@...

Please see the Explore Scientific announcement for Losmandy G-11 owners for the G-11 Upgrade Kit now available

Thanks!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh@...

Mark Grattan

I am trying to decide whether to change my Losmandy G-11 Gemini-2 system to the the PMC-8.  Are other users happy/unhappy with that configuration?  Any information would be appreciated before pulling a $1500 lever.
Mark

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Mark,

We have only sold a few at this time but from what I have heard people are happy with the upgrade. I do know of somebody that bought an upgrade and there were a couple of mechanical issues with their mount that had to be sorted. To be fair, their mount was one of the original Celestron mounts from the early 1990's (25 years old!) so I think we had to figure it out. I think one of the items was that the main gear tooth count was not the same as what is delivered now. How old is your mount?

If you want to know more about the PMC-Eight you can visit our website. If you join the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight Yahoo Group, you can talk to others that own the PMC-Eight. Of course, you can always post your questions there and I will answer them. You can email me at jrh@... if you have any comments or questions also.

Thanks for your interest

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

David Pickett

Mark,

I assume that you are intending to have your
current G-11/Gemini converted to the stepper motors and PMC-Eight.

A lot of people are happy with what you currently
have. I have no personal experience of the
Losmandy servo motors & Gemini-2, but the control
system seems pretty sophisticated. I am happy
with the ES combination of G-11/PMC-8, despite
having no comparison with the Losmandy system. If
yours is an older G-11 it might be a good idea to
have Scott Losmandy service it and bring it up to modern specn.

The ES stepper motors seem to be quieter than the
servo motors from what I can tell on Youtube
videos. They are certainly not noisy at all. The PMC-Eight box is well-built and designed. It
works well with the ExploreStars app, though this
is at present only available on Windows 10. The
GUI is good though I am hoping that further
improvements will be made to it - hint to Jerry!
:). I have made Stellarium and Cartes du ciel
work with the motors in conjunction with the
ASCOM driver that can be downloaded. Having WIFI
connection to the mount is nice. I find it robust
and the signal level put out is more than
adequate. The catalog of stars, solar objects and
deep sky objects is large, though I have no idea
how it compares with Gemini. I would hope that
additional functionality will be added as more people start using this and the EXOS-II mounts.

Only you can decide whether $1500 is justified -- it is a lot of money!

David