One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD


Wes Mcdonald
 

Peter:

No I dont think it is faulty, at least not yet.

1.  You must have your PC attached to the PMC8 via wifi for the CM to function correctly.
2.  Get a clean boot of the PMC8 and choose the PMC8 wifi for the PC WiFi connection
3.  Plug in the serial cable.  
4.  Boot the Configuration Manager.
5.  Drop down the connection tab.
6.  Set the mount type to Exos2
7.  Press the find button.  
8.  Press the refresh button to ensure you have the comm port 
9.  Pick the comm port reported by the Find button.
10 Press the top right DO IT button to Find Current Connection
11.  Now assuming all is well press the VIA ASCOM DO IT button.  

Thats it, you are now in serial mode.

If this does not work, report back the status of the bottom line of the window.  Two different connection method indicators, will be green or red.  

wes


On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:29 PM Voyager <pmaks01@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Wes,
USB to Serial via Parallax FTDI chip cable (https://www.parallax.com/product/28031)
- tried both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports
- I have two of these cables and each gave the same results - interestingly, PMC Manager shows different COM ports whe I i plug in each cable/adapter (COM 3 and COM 5 respectively), in the same USP port
Nothing else connected to laptop at this time.

PmC-EIght Config Manager output:
7       Com Port: COM3
6       Com Port: COM3
5       Received: 
4       Sending via Serial: ESX!
3       Received: 
2       Sending via Serial: ESGp0!
1       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
0       Com Port: COM3

Tried WiFi connection - this worked. Disconnected the WiFi and attempted to switch to serial "Via ASCOM" and received pop up message: 
"Mount is currently busy. Please try again in a second...":

31       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
30       Com Port: COM3
29       Switching to TCP......Already on TCP
28       Switching to TCP...
27       Switching to ASCOM......Could not switch.
26       Switching to ASCOM...
25       Switching to ASCOM......Could not switch

Could the PMC-Eight unit be faulty ?
Thanks, 
Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


 

Thank you Wes,  that worked !

I didn’t realize that I have startup CM with WiFi connection active. 

Once, I am active via serial, I assume I can disconnect the mount WiFi connection - correct ? 

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


Wes Mcdonald
 

Yes indeed.  And once in serial the pmc8 will remain there until you change it

We’d

--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


peter.spatz@...
 

Hi, I'm new to this group, and your post shows  why Im here.
2 years ago my AVX head crashed, I felt on the stairs outside, an the mount head crashed into concrete.
I lost my interest and was only sad. I could'nt and wont invest into asto since then.
As I'm a fotographer, for 5 years now, i got the ioptron star tracker and managed to get Andromeda last week with my cam. Since then I wanted to go back to Astronomie, and step into fotographing. I' m selling some of my visual equipment, and yes, my C9, to have some money to spend into new gear.
So I'm sure about am 80 doublet, the mount is still questioned. I came across the PMC, and it's very interesting, and as plus an very active manufacturer and customers helping. This shows this thread. I will read on, and maybe the Exos2 PMC will be the partner in my garden at night.


Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering
 

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 02:14 PM, <peter.spatz@...> wrote:
I came across the PMC, and it's very interesting, and as plus an very active manufacturer and customers helping. This shows this thread. I will read on, and maybe the Exos2 PMC will be the partner in my garden at night.
HI Peter,

Welcome to the forum.
Please look over all the information available on our forum and on the Explore Scientific website and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.

Thanks!
 
--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home


Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!


 

Hi Wes,
The mount has been working well for the past six weeks.

I have downloaded and updated the firmware 9t_17_EXOS2.eeprom :

9       EVT:503-Checking COM4.
EVT:505-Propeller chip version 1 found on COM4.
EVT:506-Loading RAM
EVT:507-Verifying RAM
EVT:508-Programming EEPROM
EVT:509-Verifying EEPROM
INF:451-Success.

8       Path to EEPROM: "C:\Users\pmasi\Downloads\PMC8_FirmwareEEPROM (1)\9t_17_EXOS2.eeprom"
7       Path to Propellent.exe:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Explore Scientific Utilities\PMC-8 Configuration Manager 1.0.3\Propellent.exe "
6       Attempting to upload ROM
5       Switching to ASCOM...
4       Mount appears to be connected on Serial
3       Com Port: COM4
2       Switching to ASCOM...
1       Mount appears to be connected on Serial
0       Com Port: COM4

This appears to have been sucessful.
Connected to POTH Hub and Stellarium, tracked Jupiter for about an hour.

Disconnected and shut down apps.

Tried to Switch to Wireless ASCOM in Config Manager and it appeared to hang.
Brought up Explore Stars - WIndows 10 App - and I get the "Please Wait" message

Rebooted the mount and connected PC via Wifi and went through the steps above to switch back to serial and I can't do that any more:

1       The mount does not appear to be connected. Please check your settings and network connection.
0       Com Port: COM4

Any thoughts on how to get out of this state?

Thanks,
Peter

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, 
Scope: ES ED80-FCD100, ES AR152 ,Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


 

To be clear:

All of the "Do It" buttons are greyed out other than "Find current connection", so I am unable to switch back to serial.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>
 

Good day Voyager,

 

This might work for you.

JR

 

These are the steps I use to connect Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) and finally Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial.   

Don’t laugh at me, I need these steps or I will mess up J.   So far, I have not had an instance where ASCOM POTH failed to connect.   

ASCOM POTH has locked up due to me connecting and running APT and Stellarium/ Stellarium Scope at the same time.  Through

many failed attempts, I have learned only one piece of software can control the mount at a time L.

 

If you are new and unsure, give these steps a try  J.

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) Process:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100 for me

6.       Click Find Current Connection

7.       The only option that will appear will be

“Via Wireless ASCOM (TCP)

8.       Click on via wireless ASCOM (TCP)

Note:  at the bottom of the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager you will

see highlighted in green TCP and PMC-Eight-xxxx

9.       Open ASCOM Poth

10.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

11.   Click Setup and select “Enable WiFi TCP/IP”

12.   Click “Ok” and “Ok” again

13.   Connect ASCOM Poth to mount

14.   Now you should be able to connect all of your software via ASCOM POTH HUB

15.   Going back to ExploreStars

16.   If PMC-Eight Configuration Manager is already open, proceed; if not, open and proceed

17.   Select  “via ExploreStars (UDP).

18.   Now you can use the ExploreStars app

 

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial process (iEXOS-100):  a bit more involved going back:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100

6.       Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

7.       Plug in cable from mount to PC

8.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

9.       Go to Connection Tab the com port should have a number in it.

10.   Select mount type:  IEXOS-100 for me

11.   Select the following option via ASCOM (Serial)

12.   Select “Do It”

13.   Bottom line will display connection mode ‘Serial”  and PMC network

14.   Open ASCOM Poth

15.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

16.   Click Setup and select “Enable Serial Port”

17.   Select the Com Port

18.   That’s it; you are ready to play and connect other pieces of software to your mount.

19.   Going back to ExploreStars; remember, there are multiple paths you can take to get

back to ExploreStars.   What follows is my method for bringing everything back to wireless

20.   Go to ASCOM POTH

21.   Disconnect mount if connected.

22.   Click Setup; the “POTH Setup” menu will pop up

23.   Click Setup; enable WiFi TCP/ IP; click Ok

24.   You can now close ASCOM POTH

25.   Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

26.   Reopen PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

27.   Click “via wireless ASCOM (TCP)”

Note:  Message window will state “Switching to TCP......Success - switched to TCP”

28.   Click via ExploreStars (UDP)

29.   Note:  Message window will state Switching to UDP....Successfully switched to UDP”

30.   Now you can play with the ExploreStars app again.

 

 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Voyager
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:37 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

To be clear:

All of the "Do It" buttons are greyed out other than "Find current connection", so I am unable to switch back to serial.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


Mike Forbes <mikeforbes059@...>
 

This is great JR.  I wish I had this procedure 6 weeks ago when I took FOREVER to get everything working, and several nights wondering why my camera wouldn't work in Sharpcap and APT, lol.  I think many will benefit from this!

Mike

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM jrichard333 <jrichard333@...> <jrichard333@...> wrote:

Good day Voyager,

 

This might work for you.

JR

 

These are the steps I use to connect Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) and finally Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial.   

Don’t laugh at me, I need these steps or I will mess up J.   So far, I have not had an instance where ASCOM POTH failed to connect.   

ASCOM POTH has locked up due to me connecting and running APT and Stellarium/ Stellarium Scope at the same time.  Through

many failed attempts, I have learned only one piece of software can control the mount at a time L.

 

If you are new and unsure, give these steps a try  J.

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) Process:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100 for me

6.       Click Find Current Connection

7.       The only option that will appear will be

“Via Wireless ASCOM (TCP)

8.       Click on via wireless ASCOM (TCP)

Note:  at the bottom of the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager you will

see highlighted in green TCP and PMC-Eight-xxxx

9.       Open ASCOM Poth

10.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

11.   Click Setup and select “Enable WiFi TCP/IP”

12.   Click “Ok” and “Ok” again

13.   Connect ASCOM Poth to mount

14.   Now you should be able to connect all of your software via ASCOM POTH HUB

15.   Going back to ExploreStars

16.   If PMC-Eight Configuration Manager is already open, proceed; if not, open and proceed

17.   Select  “via ExploreStars (UDP).

18.   Now you can use the ExploreStars app

 

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial process (iEXOS-100):  a bit more involved going back:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100

6.       Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

7.       Plug in cable from mount to PC

8.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

9.       Go to Connection Tab the com port should have a number in it.

10.   Select mount type:  IEXOS-100 for me

11.   Select the following option via ASCOM (Serial)

12.   Select “Do It”

13.   Bottom line will display connection mode ‘Serial”  and PMC network

14.   Open ASCOM Poth

15.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

16.   Click Setup and select “Enable Serial Port”

17.   Select the Com Port

18.   That’s it; you are ready to play and connect other pieces of software to your mount.

19.   Going back to ExploreStars; remember, there are multiple paths you can take to get

back to ExploreStars.   What follows is my method for bringing everything back to wireless

20.   Go to ASCOM POTH

21.   Disconnect mount if connected.

22.   Click Setup; the “POTH Setup” menu will pop up

23.   Click Setup; enable WiFi TCP/ IP; click Ok

24.   You can now close ASCOM POTH

25.   Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

26.   Reopen PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

27.   Click “via wireless ASCOM (TCP)”

Note:  Message window will state “Switching to TCP......Success - switched to TCP”

28.   Click via ExploreStars (UDP)

29.   Note:  Message window will state Switching to UDP....Successfully switched to UDP”

30.   Now you can play with the ExploreStars app again.

 

 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Voyager
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:37 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

To be clear:

All of the "Do It" buttons are greyed out other than "Find current connection", so I am unable to switch back to serial.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


 

Thank you JR.

I don’t seem to be able to get past step Step 13 when going back to serial connection.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


Wes Mcdonald
 

Voyager

1.  The CM cannot do anything unless the PC is connected to the PMC8
2.  Get your serial line plugged into the PMC8.  Boot the PMC8.  Connect PC to PMC8 wifi
3.  Open up CM.  Expand it so you can see stuff.  Go to the connection tab.
4.  Bottom line should show PMC8 Wifi in Green.
5.  Set your PMC8 type.  Press refresh.Drop down list of comm ports.  Pick a comm port that it found.
6.  Press FIND  It should say what is up.
7.  Press the Find Current connection do-it button if it isn't grey.  If it is...oops.
8.  To use the PMC8 with explorestars you must select connection type to be via UDP.  You might get the message that this doesn't matter for the exos2.  If so it doesn't matter.  Pick TCP then.  OTherwise pick UDP
9.  At this point you should be able to flip back and forth between serial and wifi using the buttons.  

Remember the PMC8 remembers what mode it was in, so once you get it working in a mode, that's all you need to do with the CM until you wish to change the mode.
Let us know how you make out.
Wes.


--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


 
Edited

Wes,

I can't seem to get past step 7 buttons are gray - see image below. 

I've tried 3 different FTDi cables: 2 Parallax and one Amazon, all of which had been working prior to my attempt to switch to WiFi/UDP (Do It button) in CM. I a;so had POTH/Stellarium working well via serial - based on your instructions from July (above). Also tried the Parallax terminal app to try and connect via serial but - no luck.

Also, currently, I can connect via WiFI from my iPad/Explore Stars and have the mount respond/slew to objects.

Is there a hard reset on the PMC2 that one needs to apply ?


--

Thanks !
Peter


Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


Wes Mcdonald
 

Is this a new version of the cm ?

Wes 

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:07 PM Voyager <pmaks01@...> wrote:
Wes,

I can't seem to get past step 7 - see image below. 

I've tried 3 different FTDi cables: 2 Parallax and one Amazon, all of which had been working prior to my attempt to switch to WiFi/UDP (Do It button) in CM. I a;so had POTH/Stellarium working well via serial - based on your instructions from July (above). Also tried the Parallax terminal app to try and connect via serial but - no luck.

Also, currently, I can connect via WiFI from my iPad/Explore Stars and have the mount respond/slew to objects.

Is there a hard reset on the PMC2 that one needs to apply ?


--

Thanks !
Peter


Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA










--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


Wes Mcdonald
 

Ok so the mount is working in WiFi mode with a tablet now.  You have two issues 

1.  Cannot get cm to recognize the pmc8
2.  Pc explorestars does not work it gets hung at please wait.

Is this correct?



On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:11 PM Wes Mcdonald via groups.io <wesmcd6=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Is this a new version of the cm ?

Wes 

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 9:07 PM Voyager <pmaks01@...> wrote:
Wes,

I can't seem to get past step 7 - see image below. 

I've tried 3 different FTDi cables: 2 Parallax and one Amazon, all of which had been working prior to my attempt to switch to WiFi/UDP (Do It button) in CM. I a;so had POTH/Stellarium working well via serial - based on your instructions from July (above). Also tried the Parallax terminal app to try and connect via serial but - no luck.

Also, currently, I can connect via WiFI from my iPad/Explore Stars and have the mount respond/slew to objects.

Is there a hard reset on the PMC2 that one needs to apply ?


--

Thanks !
Peter


Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA












--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired








--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>
 

Good day Mike,

 

Thank you.

 

I first posted a longer version of this on Feb.23.2019 in the Beginners Forum;

And then a shorten version on Apr.26.2020 to the Main Forum.

 

I have reached an age where if I don’t do something continuous for a

week or two, I will forget basic steps.  I still plan on updating this later on

including pictures once I update to ASCOM 6.5.  I might do the

same for ASCOM 6.4. 

 

I run Windows 10 and it has its own issues.  Currently dealing with intermittent BSODs,

I believe this is related to AVG.  There is a conflict of mindsets somewhere within the

System.

 

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Forbes
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 3:12 PM
To: MAIN@espmc-eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

This is great JR.  I wish I had this procedure 6 weeks ago when I took FOREVER to get everything working, and several nights wondering why my camera wouldn't work in Sharpcap and APT, lol.  I think many will benefit from this!

 

Mike

 

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 11:52 AM jrichard333 <jrichard333@...> <jrichard333@...> wrote:

Good day Voyager,

 

This might work for you.

JR

 

These are the steps I use to connect Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) and finally Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial.   

Don’t laugh at me, I need these steps or I will mess up J.   So far, I have not had an instance where ASCOM POTH failed to connect.   

ASCOM POTH has locked up due to me connecting and running APT and Stellarium/ Stellarium Scope at the same time.  Through

many failed attempts, I have learned only one piece of software can control the mount at a time L.

 

If you are new and unsure, give these steps a try  J.

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Wireless (TCP) Process:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100 for me

6.       Click Find Current Connection

7.       The only option that will appear will be

“Via Wireless ASCOM (TCP)

8.       Click on via wireless ASCOM (TCP)

Note:  at the bottom of the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager you will

see highlighted in green TCP and PMC-Eight-xxxx

9.       Open ASCOM Poth

10.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

11.   Click Setup and select “Enable WiFi TCP/IP”

12.   Click “Ok” and “Ok” again

13.   Connect ASCOM Poth to mount

14.   Now you should be able to connect all of your software via ASCOM POTH HUB

15.   Going back to ExploreStars

16.   If PMC-Eight Configuration Manager is already open, proceed; if not, open and proceed

17.   Select  “via ExploreStars (UDP).

18.   Now you can use the ExploreStars app

 

Explore Stars (UDP) to ASCOM Serial process (iEXOS-100):  a bit more involved going back:

1.       Change Network WiFi to PMC-Eight-xxxx WiFi

2.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration manager

3.       Expand window so you can see everything

4.       Go to Connection Tab

5.       Select mount type:  iEXOS-100

6.       Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

7.       Plug in cable from mount to PC

8.       Open PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

9.       Go to Connection Tab the com port should have a number in it.

10.   Select mount type:  IEXOS-100 for me

11.   Select the following option via ASCOM (Serial)

12.   Select “Do It”

13.   Bottom line will display connection mode ‘Serial”  and PMC network

14.   Open ASCOM Poth

15.   Click setup; ”POTH Setup” screen will pop up

16.   Click Setup and select “Enable Serial Port”

17.   Select the Com Port

18.   That’s it; you are ready to play and connect other pieces of software to your mount.

19.   Going back to ExploreStars; remember, there are multiple paths you can take to get

back to ExploreStars.   What follows is my method for bringing everything back to wireless

20.   Go to ASCOM POTH

21.   Disconnect mount if connected.

22.   Click Setup; the “POTH Setup” menu will pop up

23.   Click Setup; enable WiFi TCP/ IP; click Ok

24.   You can now close ASCOM POTH

25.   Close PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

26.   Reopen PMC-Eight Configuration Manager

27.   Click “via wireless ASCOM (TCP)”

Note:  Message window will state “Switching to TCP......Success - switched to TCP”

28.   Click via ExploreStars (UDP)

29.   Note:  Message window will state Switching to UDP....Successfully switched to UDP”

30.   Now you can play with the ExploreStars app again.

 

 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Voyager
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 9:37 AM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

To be clear:

All of the "Do It" buttons are greyed out other than "Find current connection", so I am unable to switch back to serial.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>
 

Good day Sir,

 

I see you are working with Wes as well.  I will read the follow ups and chime in if I can be of assistance.

 

JR

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Voyager
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 5:28 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

Thank you JR.

I don’t seem to be able to get past step Step 13 when going back to serial connection.

Peter
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>
 

Good day Voyager,

 

I need to get a baseline for where you are currently:

1.       Your IPad connects via wireless to the mount?

2.       Your Windows PC cannot connect to the mount via wireless or serial?

3.       What state was your mount in previously; wireless or serial?

4.       What happens when you click the Find it connection?

 

Statements:

1.       I think your mount is in serial mode?

2.       Close the ES Configuration manager

3.       Open/ check ASCOM and make sure

WiFi mode is enabled.

 

Click Wireless setup tab.  Your WiFi module will be different for the EXOS2-GT PMC8:

 

4.       Open ES Configuration manager and check the following:

 

If that does not work, close the ES Configuration manager

 

5.       Download PMC8 utility and check the following:

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system

 

6.       Open ES configuration manager and click Find Current Connection and  it should work .

 

JR

 

 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io [mailto:MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io] On Behalf Of Voyager
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2020 8:08 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] One beginner's guide to getting EXOS2/PMC8 fully operational with ASCOM, Stellarium, SharpCap, ASPS, and ASCOMPAD

 

[Edited Message Follows]

Wes,

I can't seem to get past step 7 buttons are gray - see image below. 

I've tried 3 different FTDi cables: 2 Parallax and one Amazon, all of which had been working prior to my attempt to switch to WiFi/UDP (Do It button) in CM. I a;so had POTH/Stellarium working well via serial - based on your instructions from July (above). Also tried the Parallax terminal app to try and connect via serial but - no luck.

Also, currently, I can connect via WiFI from my iPad/Explore Stars and have the mount respond/slew to objects.

Is there a hard reset on the PMC2 that one needs to apply ?


--

Thanks !
Peter


Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


 

Wes, response is “yes” to your questions 1 & 2.

Also, reinstalled CM v1.0.3.
--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


 
Edited

Hello JR,
responses to your questions on current state:

 need to get a baseline for where you are currently:

1.       Your IPad connects via wireless to the mount?

>> Correct

2.       Your Windows PC cannot connect to the mount via wireless or serial?
>> Correct

3.       What state was your mount in previously; wireless or serial?
>> was working in serial mode prior to switching to wireless after firmware upgrade

4.       What happens when you click the Find it connection?
>> as shown in screen print above,
>> “Find” results in the “Com 4” response
>> “Find current connect ‘Do it’ “ returns second message

>> “The Mount does not appear to be connected...”

I will be trying out the rest of your recommendations in a few hours.

thank you for your support.

Peter
(Voyager)

--
Mount: EXOS2-GT, Orion SkyView EQ, AR152 
Scope: ESED80-FCD100, Orion 8” Newt
Guide system: Starfield 50mm, Altair GPCAM2 130M
DSLR: Canon 6D, T3i
Software: ExploreStars W10, iOS; Sharpcap, Altair ImageCapture, PMC 8 Manager, Stellarium 
Location: Sierra Foothills, CA


Wes Mcdonald
 

Peter:

If your pmc8 is working via wifi with your ipad it is in wifi mode.

1.  I would verify the serial cable is working by reloading the firmware.  The CM does not need to be connected via serial mode to do this, just have the serial cable connected.  If the firmware does not load then the serial line is broken somehow, either you are in DLL hell, or there is a physical problem.  I suspect a windows problem tho.  If the firmware load ends with success, you know everything is connected.  Reboot the PMC8 after loading the firmware.  It takes a reboot for the new load to run.

2.  If the load fails then you need to look at what is wrong starting with the PC and working outward.  One thing to do is to go to the advanced tab.  Select the wifi TCP for an EXOS2 or UDP for the iEXOS.  Then press the get version number.  If you are connected via wifi, you will receive a reply.  If you don't get the reply then you are not in wifi mode or your pc is not connected to the PMC8 system wifi.  

3.  If the load is successful, then go ahead and try using the CM again to change the state of the connection

wes



--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100
ES ED 127, 10" LX200GPS+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired