Topics

Parallax USB/Serial Cover

Michael Fulbright

I saw this somewhere else so I can't take credit but there are some
CAT5/VGA adapters out there that if you Dremel open and throw out the
insides you can put the Parallax USB/Serial adapter in its place and get
nice screws to secure it to the PMC-Eight controller and it won't
accidentally fall out!  It also is nice protection for the adapter.

Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Extender-Female-Male-to-Lan-Cat5-Cat5e-6-RJ45-Ethernet-Female-Adapter-h4/292320411412

I ordered a MALE one but I doubt it matters since you are pulling out
the insides.

I had to cut the cover in half and just used electrical tape to put it
back together.

Michael Fulbright

David Pickett

Why do all that when you can buy one of these? Also available on other Amazons.

David

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0758BMXBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 21:17 10-01-18, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I saw this somewhere else so I can't take credit but there are some
CAT5/VGA adapters out there that if you Dremel open and throw out the
insides you can put the Parallax USB/Serial adapter in its place and get
nice screws to secure it to the PMC-Eight controller and it won't
accidentally fall out! It also is nice protection for the adapter.

Here is the one I ordered:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Extender-Female-Male-to-Lan-Cat5-Cat5e-6-RJ45-Ethernet-Female-Adapter-h4/292320411412

I ordered a MALE one but I doubt it matters since you are pulling out
the insides.

I had to cut the cover in half and just used electrical tape to put it
back together.

Michael Fulbright

Michael Fulbright

I was having problems with my USB serial adapter so Jerry recommended the Parallax adapter as one he developed the PMC-Eight with so I got one.  :)

I know a few other people with the PCM-Eight have the same adapter so it seemed this could be useful info.

So you have had luck with the adapter you linked?

Does it have a FTDI chipset?

Thanks,
Michael

On 1/10/2018 3:46 PM, David Pickett yahoo@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Why do all that when you can buy one of these? Also available on other Amazons.

David

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0758BMXBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 21:17 10-01-18, Michael Fulbright
mike.fulbright@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

>I saw this somewhere else so I can't take credit but there are some
>CAT5/VGA adapters out there that if you Dremel open and throw out the
>insides you can put the Parallax USB/Serial adapter in its place and get
>nice screws to secure it to the PMC-Eight controller and it won't
>accidentally fall out! It also is nice protection for the adapter.
>
>Here is the one I ordered:
>
>https://www.ebay.com/itm/VGA-Extender-Female-Male-to-Lan-Cat5-Cat5e-6-RJ45-Ethernet-Female-Adapter-h4/292320411412
>
>I ordered a MALE one but I doubt it matters since you are pulling out
>the insides.
>
>I had to cut the cover in half and just used electrical tape to put it
>back together.
>
>Michael Fulbright

r_hoskin@...

Well, Dave...

I doesn't ship to Canada! :-))

Seriously, when I was looking for my adapter, I figured I was in for enough excitement without looking for trouble on that score.  Jerry was specific about needing that FTDI chip, but I also noticed that he uses a pretty high baud rate on the serial port.  When I looked at a couple of alternatives, they either didn't specify an upper baud rate they support, or specified a lower one.

So... I went with the little Parallax card.  I'm sure it works well, but its packaging worried me from the moment I saw it.  Jerry says he's fine with his, but it just bothered me seeing it dangle unsupported.  (twitch...twitch...)

I did a post like Michael's a few weeks ago, but got my case from Amazon.  That VGA-to-CAT5 form factor is exactly right - just takes a bit of tinkering to get it to come apart so it will go back together after Dremelling. :-)

If Explore had had a supported, properly molded cable as an option at the time, I'd have been glad to buy it instead (assuming reasonable cost).  That little Parallax card was not easy to find up here in the frozen north.

- Bob

Michael Fulbright

Bob -

 I'm glad you posted so I could thank you as I couldn't find your old post in my folders...

 I was really cheap and ordered from China so it took a month.

Michael

On 1/10/2018 4:14 PM, r_hoskin@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

[...]

Michael,

You're most welcome!  Glad you were helped.

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

I found this adapter cable that uses the FTDI chipset on AMAZON that may be a good option to the original one I specified from Parallax.  I understand the need to provide a well protected converter cable for this use. I will talk to Scott Roberts about listing something like this on our website for customers to buy. We may be able to stock these. I am not sure what the cost would be buying from us, we will probably have to think about it. I will let you know.

Here is the link to the adapter I found.
I have not personally tested this device

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jason Haefner

I just got this cable.  Not tested yet.  I'll post back when I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0Z1ATK/