Topics

PHD2 Pulseguiding failure #EXOS2 #ASCOM #pmc-eight

murfkcco@...

Greetings all,

I am currently running
EXOS GT 2
William Optics z73 a
zwo asi120mm
50mm Orion guide scope
QHY Polemaster

I decided to give Autoguiding a try this week in order to get some longer exposure times.  After some woes in figuring out the ASCOM Device hub I was able to get mount, camera and planetarium software running together.  When I attempt to start a calibration with PHD2 I get the error "Pulse guide command to mount has failed" during the west and east step phases. Occasionally it will make it to the North and South steps before the same error occurs.

The equipment setup was run through the "wizard" at startup.

I have let PHD 2 run through the entire step process and the auto selected star moves in each direction as well as with the Backlash and Nudge steps.

I am sure Im missing something I just dont know what.

If anyone could give me some tips on this it would be much appreciated.

Brian

Brian,

How are you connecting to your PMC8 unit?    Wired, or wireless?   And if wired, a USB->Serial cable with the FTDI chip?

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 04:04 PM, Brian Murphy wrote:
I decided to give Autoguiding a try this week in order to get some longer exposure times.  After some woes in figuring out the ASCOM Device hub I was able to get mount, camera and planetarium software running together.  When I attempt to start a calibration with PHD2 I get the error "Pulse guide command to mount has failed" during the west and east step phases. Occasionally it will make it to the North and South steps before the same error occurs.
Hi Brian,  sorry you are having this issue. In PHD2 are you configuring the program to use the ST4 cable and selecting "On camera" or are you selecting "ASCOM driver", not using the ST4 cable, and using PulseGuide? If you are using the ST4 cable connected between the PMC-Eight and the camera, then you may be running into an issue with the ST4 port calibration which we see from time to time with different cameras.  I would suggest not using the ST4 cable and "On camera" and instead use the ASCOM connection to control the mount. This will eliminate an extra cable and provide a more reliable guiding signal. Also, if you are going to be autoguiding, I would second the previous advise to use the system in wired, serial mode versus wireless mode as it is also more reliable.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Brian Murphy <murfkcco@...>

Edited

I am doing it as a wireless connection.  I saw the tip for the serial cable on another post here and have ordered one just to add another tool to the tool belt.

Thanks a ton for the information I will report back ASAP if this resolves the issue,

Brian Murphy <murfkcco@...>

Jerry, I have just been working through the ASCOM side of PHD 2.  I tried the ST4 Cable as a control just to see what would happen and got a Error along the lines of "Not enough movement" on the east and west steps.  Once I get my hands on the serial cable I will get back to you on if that resolves the errors.  Thank you for your response.

On another note keep up the good work on the Youtube ES sessions! We all appreciate the information that you all share.

Brian Murphy

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:25 PM, Brian Murphy wrote:
On another note keep up the good work on the Youtube ES sessions! We all appreciate the information that you all share.
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your support, I hope we can keep bringing good information to everyone via the broadcasts. Typically, I use the forum for the source of topic ideas, but if anyone has something specific they want to ask please post it here on the forum or tune in and ask it live during the broadcast.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data