Topics

PMC8 control of iExos-100

Pavel

Hi Jerry,

nice to know you are also the author of the hardware and firmware. I
suppose you also wrote the Programmer's Reference Manual. I would
probably have a lot of questions. Let's start with the most basic ones
just to be sure I understand everything right:

The UDP communication mode seems to be the default one on the iExos-100,
unless it has been changed. All the modes are mutually exclusive, so
that I won't get any response either to TCP telnet or to the serial
connection until I change the mode, right? Does it mean I will not see
the booting startup splash screen in the serial console either, unless I
first switch to the serial mode?

In the UDP mode, the response is always sent to the same IP address that
the command came from, right? ExploreStars uses the UDP mode, so that it
should be possible to control the mount by sending commands in UDP
packets from different IP addresses/devices/applications at the same time?

The only end-of-line signal is usually the exclamation mark, no CR or LF
is needed. Then I should get immediate response after sending the
exclamation mark, and this applies to any mode, right? However, some
terminal applications won't send the sequence from their buffer until I
press the enter/return key - I hope it has no additional effect when LF
or CR/LF is being sent in addition?

I obviously misunderstood the role of the "diagnostic mode" at the first
reading. Is it possible that I have caused the permanent malfunction of
my mount just by sending sequences such as "ESGv!" or "ESGp0!" in the
diagnostic mode, where other sequences are expected?

Thanks,
Pavel

Hi Chris,

it exists.... I created it, along with the assembly layout, and
firmware, so I should know... LOL!  Currently the schematic is
proprietary information, although anyone with enough knowledge would
understand that today's microcontroller based systems are very generic
in their hardware design. The main hardware design features that support
the application are more important than the generic microcontroller
circuit. Regardless of the hardware design, the real secret sauce for
any modern microcontroller system is the firmware source code.

I am curious, what question do you have where you need the details in
the PMC-Eight schematic?  I have shared a couple of portions of the
hardware schematic, so what are you interested in knowing, perhaps I can
provide the answer for you.

*Jerry Hubbell*
*Vice President of Engineering*
*Explore Scientific, LLC.*