Topics

PMC-8 / EXOS-2 GT Home Position #EXOS2

Jim McKee

I've out of the loop on working with my EXOS-2 mount for 2 months.
I don't know if I am missing something simple, but when I start up the PMC-8 and Start POTH to connect, DEC has a value of -5' and RA has a value of 23'.  Lat/Long and time are correct.  GOTO, of course, won't go where it should with these starting values.  With the mount in Weight Down, parked position, If I go into APT or Stellarium and Sync to Polaris' I  can get position POTH position to get to close to Dec 90', RA 0'.  This gives good GOTO performance,

Once I turn everything off and restart, DEC/RA are back to -5 and 23 respectively.  If I try all of this on a different computer, I get different default values for DEC and RA, but not 90 and 0.

So It seems like there is missing driver or piece that is writing a position to a config file.   But 10 hours into this hunt, I am stumped.

Anyone who can help me figure out what I am missing will be most appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

Hi Jim,

It could be the PARK position has been redefined at some point different than the HOME position. The ASCOM driver has a function where you can set a user defined PARK position that is different from the default HOME position (the NCP). The POTH setup dialog box has a button to set the PARK position that commands the ASCOM driver to store the current RADEC position in the profile. So when you hit PARK it will go to that position. Also, when you start up the PMC-Eight and connect to it later on the next day or whatever, when you connect to the PMC-Eight with the ASCOM driver, the driver reads the profile setting for the PARK and sets the RADEC values to that.

The program ASCOM Profile Explorer is on your system in the ASCOM platform folder and can be used to check this.. Run the profile explorer and Select "Telescope Drivers" - "ASCOM.ES_PMC8.Telescope" and look at the values for "RA Park Position" and "DEC Park Position". If they are not zero then the PARK position is not set to HOME. HOME is motor counts 0 (zero) for RA and DEC. It is the reference point for the mount position calculations. This may be your problem, if so, you can enter 0 (zero) into the "RA Park Position" and "DEC Park Position" and it will reset it back to HOME.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jim McKee

Thanks Jerry,

That worked. I looked at that earlier today, but was tired of pushing buttons and felt I was making things worse.
Jim
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 07:34 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
That worked. I looked at that earlier today, but was tired of pushing buttons and felt I was making things worse.
Jim
Great, glad to hear!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data