Topics

PMC-8 Machine On Internet

W. Christopher Moses

I was going to spend some time this weekend trying to get the PMC-8 connected to my home network.  But, It looks like I'll be out at a dark sky site for a few days.  I did, however, have an idea for a workaround.

The idea is to put an additional network adapter on the machine.  I cheap USB ethernet adapter should work.  Then, install a Virtual Machine on your system.  Install all your astro stuff on the VM and connect the VM to USB ethernet, which is connected to the PMC-8.

Then, just RDP into the host machine and maximize the VM. Voilla.

As a bonus, you don't have to play around with terminal programs and configuring the PMC-8 settings.

Sounds like it should work, but I can't say I've tried it.

If anybody has experience with VM networking, please chime in.

Just a thought.

Chris

Michael Fulbright

I'm not sure you need a VM.  If windows sets up the routes properly then any traffic to the PMC8 subnet (192.168.47.0/24) will go there and your USB ethernet adapter should get a route for the subnet your remote machine (which connects via RDP) lives on as well as a default route to handle any traffic outside those two subnets (the internet).

So you should just be able to add the USB ethernet and everything will work.

I don't really do much on Windows but I image there is a way to query the current routes on your machine.

Michael Fulbright

On 7/19/2017 10:27 AM, chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

[...]

Excellent! I like it!
I will look into it.

Ben K

Chris,

Are you thinking of adding a second network adapter to your NUC, or something else?

I'm not following, I guess.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
Yes, the idea is to use two network adapters. One conected to the pmc-8 and one connected to the "normal" network. And to then "bridge" them somehow.

There are two small advantages I see to doing this vs having the PMC-8 directly join the other network. 1) No need to play with a terminal program and the PMC-8's internal variables, and 2) No need to do number 1 each time you are moving to a new network - which may be important for people, like me, who travel to dark sky sites.

I proposed installing all the astro stuff in a VM, which is easy to do, and having the VM connected to the PMC-8, while the host machine stays connected to the internet.

Michael proposed a conceptually easier method, albeit one I have never personally tried.

Ben K

The idea of installing to a VM is nice in that all of the software is self-contained and your interface can be customized just for astronomy purposes. Does add a bit of overhead to the underlying machine's needs for memory and processing power, though.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but why not connect to the PMC-8 via serial connection and connect the NUC to whatever WiFi you want?

Devin Gingrich

Has anyone tried joining a WiFi-Ethernet bridge to he PCM-Eight’s network? This would let your laptop remain connected to your internet connection (WiFi) and also have the PMC-Eight connected via Ethernet. Once I get mine, if no one else has tried by then, I plan on giving this a try using an AirportExpress.

W. Christopher Moses

That is one of the options I have been thinking about, but have not had a chance to test yet.

W. Christopher Moses

That is exactly how I am connected now.  It works great. The only reason is to eliminate that one serial cable.  Not that big of a deal.