Topics

PMC-eight drops Wi-Fi

Brent Phillips

sorry, will not let me reply to posts I got a yahoo account for the sole purpose of this group. wish it was on another platform but got to do what I got to do.

thanks for the response, I am running AC power and I purchased the mount from Explore Scientific.

I do not have a polar scope so I do a rough polar alignment.  I can see Polaris through the hole the polar scope goes into.
The mount does not do any thing in particular when the Wi-Fi stops.  The only LED lights on the back that are on when it dropps is the top middle red light, bottom right red light and bottom left green light.

when the mount stops the motors just go quiet, the lights on the back are on but the mount will not move.

the tracking seems to be to fast even when i hit sync the object will leave the field of view fast.

David Pickett

Brent,

At 19:39 04-02-18, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I do not have a polar scope so I do a rough polar alignment. I can see Polaris through the hole the polar scope goes into.
Rather than the Losmandy polar scope, I would recommend a Polemaster, which fits on the G-11 very easily.

The mount does not do any thing in particular when the Wi-Fi stops. The only LED lights on the back that are on when it dropps is the top middle red light, bottom right red light and bottom left green light.
This is not clear to me as, from your description, it would appear that your LEDs are different colours from mine.

Mine can be described as:

==================
Looking at the long side of the PMC-Eight box
with the LEDs at the left hand end:

UPPER ROW

1 YELLOW Wireless Data Transfer
2 GREEN 10V dc Motor Power
3 GREEN MCU Active

LOWER ROW

4 GREEN SSID Connection
5 RED SSID Association
6 RED 3.3V dc Logic Power

without wifi connected: 2, 4*, 5* 6 (when wifi is being negotiated, 5 goes off)

wifi connected, ExploreStars app not running: 2, 4*, 6

wifi connected, ExploreStars running: 2, 3, 4*, 6*

* = flashing
===========

You write "top middle red light", but did you mean "top middle GREEN light"? If so, you have 2, 4, 6 illuminated, which is not one of the states that I have seen.

Did you test that the antenna connector is screwed firmly on to the box and also that the correct socket is installed on the cable from the PSU?

David

David

Brent Phillips

sorry top middle green bottom left red and bottom right green

Brent Phillips

ok when it stops working 2, 4, 6 are on nothing flashing.  I am trying to figure things out as i sit in the livingroom

David Pickett

Brent,

Since you are sitting comfortably. Why not do a
dry run from turn on and describe what happens
(including the LEDs)? This might help to identify
what is going on. Tricky, I know, but try to
keep an eye on what happens to the LEDs at the
point when the motors stop responding -- you can hear when that happens!

David

At 21:17 04-02-18, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

ok when it stops working 2, 4, 6 are on nothing
flashing. I am trying to figure things out as i sit in the livingroom

Brent Phillips

ok turned everything on, did a 3 star alignment, went to a few objects, left it at some objects for about five minutes letting it track.  went to an object just now, LED are doing their thing, 1,2,3,4,6 are on. the app says it is tracking but the mount will not respond to any input from me and the motors have gone silent.

Brent Phillips

so just felt the motors and they are still working the mount just will not respond to input from my computer.

David Pickett

Brent,

Let me get this right: none of the lights mentioned is flashing?

What are you running Explore Stars on?

What are the power settings on the computer/tablet?

Does it always become unreponsive after the exact same amount of time?

David

At 22:19 04-02-18, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

ok turned everything on, did a 3 star alignment,
went to a few objects, left it at some objects
for about five minutes letting it track. went
to an object just now, LED are doing their
thing, 1,2,3,4,6 are on. the app says it is
tracking but the mount will not respond to any
input from me and the motors have gone silent.

Brent Phillips

yes they are not flashing, I am running windows 10 on an HP.  it is plugged in and battery full.  no the amount of time before it stopped varies.
I don't know what I did, if I did anything at all, but right now it is staying connected.  it seems to track but with out a real star it is hard to say if it is accurate or not.

David Pickett

That's good.

I was going to ask, but forgot:

What magnification did you have on your system
when the target moved out of the field of view?

It is late here in Europe, so time for me to turn
into a pumpkin. We have had cloudy skies for
weeks now; but you might try outside to see if it works better.

Let me know...

Good luck!

David

At 23:49 04-02-18, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

yes they are not flashing, I am running windows
10 on an HP. it is plugged in and battery
full. no the amount of time before it stopped varies.
I don't know what I did, if I did anything at
all, but right now it is staying connected. it
seems to track but with out a real star it is
hard to say if it is accurate or not.

Brent Phillips

I used my 8.8mm (81x) for alignment and 24mm (30x) for viewing.  thanks again for the help will see if everything works tonight.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Brent,

I just talked to Greg Bragg this morning and also just saw this message thread. I think he has relayed the information needed to change the WiFi channel number on the system using the little ST4 port (RJ12) dongle we provide for this purpose. Using this should increment the channel number and hopefully correct the problem.

What we have seen is in some instances, the WiFi environment is very busy with several SSIDs and if the PMC-Eight is using the same channel as others it can disrupt the communications regardless of the signal strength. For everyone's benefit, here is the procedure to increment the channel number:

1. Power up the PMC-Eight and let it go through the boot process (the lights will settle out).
2. Insert the dongle into the auto-guider port (ST4 RJ12)
3. Watch the lights cycle and the system should reboot itself.
4. Wait until it settles down again, then try and connect the ExploreStars application again.

I recommend powering down the system then powering it back up between steps 3 and 4, but this
shouldn't be necessary.

If you use Google to search for WifiInfoView, this is a simple program you can use to see how much WiFi traffic there is in your area and also see what channels are being used.  When you increment your channel, just make sure it is not the same as others in your immediate environment.

That should get you going again.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC

David Pickett

At 16:32 05-02-18, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Hi Brent,

I just talked to Greg Bragg this morning and also just saw this message thread. I think he has relayed the information needed to change the WiFi channel number on the system using the little ST4 port (RJ12) dongle we provide for this purpose. Using this should increment the channel number and hopefully correct the problem.

What we have seen is in some instances, the WiFi environment is very busy with several SSIDs and if the PMC-Eight is using the same channel as others it can disrupt the communications regardless of the signal strength. For everyone's benefit, here is the procedure to increment the channel number:
etc.

Brent,

I hope this solves your WIFI dropout problem. But please let us all know here whether it does so or not.

David