Topics

Polar Alignment #EXOS2 #polaralignment #ExploreStars

scienceandventure@...

Hello there,

I wonder if polar alignment can be assisted in some way by the Explore Stars App.

Celestron equatorial mounts have the All-Star Polar Alignment feature.

I have an Exos 2 Goto PMC-Eight Equatorial Mount.

Is there any way to make the Azimuth and latitude axes adjustments with the help of the Explore Stars App?

If so, what steps should I perform to do a precise polar alignment with the help of the Explore Stars App?

I use Explore Stars mostly with my iPad, and I also can use Explore Stars in a Microsoft Surface Laptop with Windows 10.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank You!!!

On Sat, Aug 31, 2019 at 06:57 PM, <scienceandventure@...> wrote:
Is there any way to make the Azimuth and latitude axes adjustments with the help of the Explore Stars App?
Wes and I have been discussing this and we have come up with a way to maybe do this. Wes is currently at the Almost Heaven Star Party (AHSP) ahsp.org in Spruce Knob, WV and is planning on testing this procedure. I am sure if he has any more info he will chime in here.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Joe Izen

Jerry, Wes,
Thanks for listening and working to created a polar alignment. I understand you had plate-solving, computer driven astrophotographers in mind and eventually I expect to be one. For now, it would be very helpful to have a polar alignment routine as I work myself up the astrophotography technology ladder.

The main reason I purchased my iExos-100 was to have a mount small enough to throw into a suitcase to chase solar eclipses.  As the polar alignment routine, evolves, please consider a usage example where an iExos-100  is set up in day time for use on the Sun. It would be extremely helpful to be able to do some sort of polar alignment during the daytime when the only object visible is the Sun. It's probably safe to assume that most users have a smartphone or table with an electronic compass.  November 11 is just around the corner, and I suspect the community would make great use of a daytime polar alignment for the Mercury transit.

-Joe

Hi Joe,

There are several ways to do a daytime polar alignment, I have used a procedure using a compass and a level, and the mounts native angular positioning precision to get a fairly accurate polar alignment good enough for visual use and for doing lunar, solar, and planetary video imaging. Lunar, solar, and planetary imaging does not require the tracking precision that long exposure deep-sky imaging requires so this is sufficient. I think I have posted the procedure on the forum before, I will have to look for it.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Up here at AHSP.  Well the weather has been poor sadly.  So I cannot report progress on the alignment idea.  Blah.  Probably running for home tomorrow to prep for Dorian.  Testing to follow after that mess clears.

In any event practice the 2 star alignment procedure as that will be part of what the idea includes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired