Topics

Polar alignment

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

Edited

I was told by the engineer at Explore Scientific that it should be sufficient for observing only to align on Polaris and you’re good to go.

My question is if I align on polaris, turn on PMC-Eight drive then using Explorestars to slew to an object in the database like M-45 then the scope is no where near the object.

Am I missing something?

--
Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Wes Mcdonald

Probably.

Check your location and time settings in Explorestars.  MAke sure you have the right mount type set.  In your location make sure you have the right sign for your latitude.

You will not have a completely accurate goto though.  For that to be better you need to do a 2-3 star alignment.  But if you have a red dot finder you can tweak your goto and your rough alignment will keep things in the eyepiece for awhile.
Wes.

Wes.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 5:24 PM Bruce Bradley <landru@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I was told by the engineer at Explore Scientific that it should be sufficient for observing only to align on Polaris and you’re good to go.

My question is if I align on polaris, turn on PMC-Eight drive then using Explorestars to slew to an object in the database like M-45 then the scope is no where near the object.

Am I missing something?

--
Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

I run Explorestars on an iPad so the only thing that needed set was the mount type, EXOS-2

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 5:40 PM -0500, "Wes Mcdonald" <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave C <dmcampbell@...>

Edited

My Android picks up the location and correct time from my cell connection or from my home network if I am in the back yard, so no need to enter that data manually in Explore Stars. However, just aligning on Polaris is going to be almost 1 degree off! The EXOS II has a great alignment tool built into the polar alignment scope but no included instructions on how to use it. Meade makes a mount that uses the same "calendar and clock" setup and they put out a two page document that tells you how to set it up and also how to use it.

Do a search for the Meade LX70 and find the data sheet for the polar scope setup. The same procedure works for the EXOS II....https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/files/User%20Contributions
--
Dave C. (Retired Energy Engineer) CMVP
Springfield, Mo. USA

Telescope: ED140 FPL53 140mm f/6.5 Air-Spaced Triplet ED APO Refractor in Carbon Fiber with 3" HEX Focuser
Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT Equatorial Mount with PMC-Eight GoTo System
Tracking: Orion StarShoot AutoGuider Pro & 60mm Guide Scope Package
Software: PHD2, AstroCap, POTH, ASCOM, Stellarium

Rick Hughes

The Android app Polar Alignment Pro has a screen for that reticle. It will take your time and location into account and show you how to rotate the RA axis to get it aligned.
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER

Danny Wingate

Hey Rick,
Where did you find the Android app Polar alignment Pro? I can't find it in the app store, can you send a link?
Thanks,
Dano

Rick Hughes

Sorry, typo. It is called Polar Aligner Pro.

In the app the scope reticle is listed as Meade LXD55. That reticle matches my EXOS2-GT, but it doesn't appear to match the reticle in the document posted for the LX70 mentioned in this thread. I don't know if everyone got the same polar scope or not.
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER

Rick Hughes

Looking again at the app, there are several reticles to choose from. The one in that LX70 document appears to match the one in the app for Celestron CG4 / CG5. In any case you should be able to figure out where Polaris should be offset from NCP using any of the available reticles.
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER

Rick Hughes

In any case you should be able to figure out where Polaris should be offset from NCP using any of the available reticles.
On second thought, that isn't true, of course. It might tell you the direction of the offset, but apparently the different reticles are for different FOV so the scale and so the distance of the offset will not be the same.
--
Mount: EXPLORE SCIENTIFIC EXOS2-GT EQUATORIAL MOUNT WITH PMC-EIGHT GOTO SYSTEM
Scope: ED115 FPL53 115MM F/5.5 AIR-SPACED TRIPLET ED APO REFRACTOR IN CARBON FIBER

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

I have a question about the EXOS2-GT mount.  Is the polar alignment scope aligned with the RA axis? I ask this because I have recently downloaded an app called Polar Scope Align. This is one of the first things they want you to do before using their app to align the mount with Polaris. I’ve been troubleshooting my mount for several months and have yet to be able to use the mount/PMC8 combination. I am hoping that this will help me troubleshoot the several problems I am having with the mount.

As a sidenote I was unable to use a negative symbol in the longitude  field of the ExploreStars app. I got around this by copying and pasting into the field but I thought this was something that you should know about.

--
Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Wes Mcdonald

You should collimate the polar scope with your RA axis. You can find various videos on how to do this in the internet.

What tablet are you using?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

I wish I would have known about aligning the polar scope earlier. The Polar Scope Align app has instructions on how to do it.

I’m using an iPad

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:18 PM -0400, "Wes Mcdonald" <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

You should collimate the polar scope with your RA axis.  You can find various videos on how to do this in the internet.

What tablet are you using?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Wes Mcdonald

Well there is a lot to know in this hobby.  There ain’t no howie stick that can hit you and endow you with it all.

Your iPad will pickup your lat Lon automagically.

But for fun I just entered a negative longitude just fine on the iPad.  Hmmm.  Keyboard setting?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

The iPad will not pick up your location if it is Wi-Fi only. I just looked and my iPad only shows numbers a decimal point and the delete key. Unless there’s some special keyboard that you should add to the iPad I don’t know how it’s not showing the negative symbol.

I’ve been an amateur astronomer for close to 40 years I guess Celestron just makes things easier for you .

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:31 PM -0400, "Wes Mcdonald" <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Well there is a lot to know in this hobby.  There ain’t no howie stick that can hit you and endow you with it all.

Your iPad will pickup your lat Lon automagically.

But for fun I just entered a negative longitude just fine on the iPad.  Hmmm.  Keyboard setting?

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Harry

Hi Bruce, I use both an iPad (with cellular), and a Fire HD8 (wifi only). I believe you are correct that a wifi only cannot determine or display GPS data that ExploreStars requires. However, when I am outside (no cellular) with my  HD8, I do this:

Determine my GPS position independently using a GPS app on my IPhone. These are : My GPS Coordinates, or the app GPS Coordinates. Just make sure the display is in decimals, and not degrees.
I then retype this data, (to about 5 or 6 decimal places) in to the Lat/Long fields in ExploreStars. I include the minus
sign for Long and it accepts the data. I do NOT push the “Load GPS Coordinates “ button. I then verify the other entries are correct and I’m on my way.

It seems to work fine for me.

Harry

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

Thanks Harry, I use an app on mi iPhone also to put in the coordinates on my iPad. But as I said the screen to enter the coordinates on ExploreStars does not in crude a minus signal. I only included this info for the Explore Scientific folks. Screen shot included

On Apr 14, 2020, at 8:40 AM, Harry via groups.io <flykai1=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jed Fish

FWIW, I use ExStars on an iPad, WiFi only.

I have no problem using the “Load GPS...” button to load my location each time I observe. In fact, sitting on my couch just now reading this discussion and wondering, I shut off WiFi on the device, opened ExStars, hit the button and saw the last couple of the 12 digits to the right of the longitude decimal change. I’m about 100 yards east from where I observed last night.
--
Jed Fish
ES ED102

Bruce Bradley <landru@...>

I observe about 40 miles from my home and no WiFi except for the PMC8 network. The longitude and and latitude data is saved from when my iPad was connected to my home network but is off by a good amount. So I use a GPS app on my iPhone to input the correct coordinates.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:38 PM -0400, "Jed Fish" <jed.fish@...> wrote:

FWIW, I use ExStars on an iPad, WiFi only.

I have no problem using the “Load GPS...” button to load my location each time I observe. In fact, sitting on my couch just now reading this discussion and wondering, I shut off WiFi on the device, opened ExStars, hit the button and saw the last couple of the 12 digits to the right of the longitude decimal change. I’m about 100 yards east from where I observed last night.
--
Jed Fish
ES ED102
iExos100

--
Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

Bruce,

My iPad will load longitude and latitude without being connected to cellular or wifi.

And it has a minus sign to denote longitude west of the prime meridian. That minus sign is absolutely necessary. If you have to type it in, tap the button .?123 -- then tap the key that is (was) the x.

If you can't get the GPS to load, here's some guidance on things to try.

If the “Location Services” or “Share my Location” settings on your Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch seems grayed out and you cannot make changes to it, you may have accidentally set a restriction on it. ... Make sure “Allow Changes“ is checked and “Location Services” is set to “On

OR

Find which apps use your phone's location
  1. Open your phone's Settings app.
  2. Tap Location. App permission. ...
  3. Under ”Allowed all the time" and “Allowed only while in use,” view the apps that can use your phone's location.
  4. To change the app's permissions, tap it, then choose the location access for the app

OR

TURN LOCATION SERVICES ON/OFF

1     From a Home screen, navigate: Settings Settings icon > Privacy.

2    Tap Location Services.

3    Tap the Location Services switch to turn on Switch On or off Switch Off.

4     If location services are turned on, tap the desired location service (Maps, Weather, Find iPhone, etc.).

Note The location service gives you a choice of when to use and is enabled when a checkmark is present (options may vary with app):

·           Never

·         While Using the App

·         Always

5     Tap Back icon Location Services (upper-left).

6     Tap System Services.

7     Tap the desired system service switches to turn on Switch On or off Switch Off:

Note Available options may vary based on the model.

·         Call Network Search

·         Compass Calibration

·         Emergency SOS

·         Find My iPad

·         HomeKit

·         Location-Based Alerts

·         Location-Based Apple Ads

·         Location-Based Suggestions

·         Motion Calibration & Distance

·         Setting Time Zone

·         Share My Location

·         Wi-Fi Calling

·         Wi-Fi Networking

·         Frequent Locations

Hopefully one of those items will get your GPS up and running.

I am right now writing a document on how to collimate the illuminated finder scope to the polar axis. I might get it done today. When it is done, I'll post it here.

Regarding making it easier, new technology requires new skills.

--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!

Kent Marts- Explore Scientific Customer Service

I failed to attach the screen shot.

kent