Topics

Polemaster adapter for iEXOS-100

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

Hello everyone.

I have a customer who's asking about attaching a Polemaster to an iEXOS-100.

Had anyone created an adapter for this?

I've searched the threads but cannot find anything.
--
Kent Marts
Customer Service

Gear: Anything in the store!

Steve Siedentop

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 5:12 PM Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service <kent@...> wrote:
Hello everyone.

I have a customer who's asking about attaching a Polemaster to an iEXOS-100.

Had anyone created an adapter for this?

I've searched the threads but cannot find anything.
--
Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Gear: Anything in the store!

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40

Patrick Maher

Edited

I use this ADM product...   https://www.admaccessories.com/product/vpa-pole-v-series-dovetail-adapter-with-polemaster/

You just need to make sure you have a long enough Vixen dovetail bar so there is enough of the bar sticking out in front of the motor to allow room to add this clamp-on Polemaster mount.

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

Wes Mcdonald

Mike Leemhuis made a 3D printed part for this.  It clamps into the saddle and one mounts the Polemaster onto it.  Here is alink.

One can get it 3D printed via 3DHubs.  It is not expensive

wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Gord Farmer

Hi Kent
A question.
I went to use the exos2 pmc eight mount tonight and the motors would only make a grinding or slipping noise . I removed the covers and the belts seem to be okay .
Any idea what this may be ?
 The mount is carrying the 152AR and it is well balanced.
I’m very concerned
Regards
Gord

On Oct 9, 2019, at 8:18 PM, Gord Farmer <gordfarmer@...> wrote:

[...]

If the mesh is too tight (worm to wheel) the mount will stall.  It sounds like a coffee grinder. It does not need to be unbalanced for this to happen.

Since you have the covers off you can (with power off) try turning the large pully with your fingers.  If it is hard to turn then you have a bind between the worm and wheel.  There is a video somewhere that shows how to adjust the mesh.

My brand new mount ran fine until the worm and wheel found a place where they were.too tight and it stalled.  What happens is each time you move the mount manually with the clutch released the rotational relationship between the worm and gear changes.  Now the  wheel will probably have two high points in it's rotation about 180 degrees appart.  When the mesh is tight there it will be loose about 90 degrees from where it is tight.

Bob Hoskins also wrote a tuning  document that will describe this adjustment.  It is in the files section of one of the subgroups.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

Gord,

Wes beat me to the answer because I was off Thursday.

There is one other thing it might be: power. Either you've got a low battery or the tip is not inserted. There's one other possibility: The internal piece that sticks into the tip can become closed. What looks like a post is actually two clam shell shaped pieces that have a slight gap. You can open that up by using a very small flat blade screw driver or a knife. Use caution when opening to not cut yourself.

The other option is what Wes outlined.

The ring gear, which is driven by the worm gear, is NOT perfectly round. It's got at least one high spot to it. To "fix" this, simply run your mount, using the left or right button, 90 degrees, then stop. Unlock the axis and manually move it 90 degrees back to the home position and lock it. You have no rotated the ring gear 90 degrees.

Best practice is to NEVER manually move the Dec axis -- because when you do you're causing the ring gear to rotate. ALWAYS park the mount either with the park function or by using the left or right arrow to drive the mount to the park position. This ensures that you never rotate the ring gear more than 90 degrees in either direction.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific