Topics

POTH issue

Brent Phillips

Ok, so this is a new one and has only happened once so far.  When i connected to POTH and used it to control the mount when doing a polar alignment with the Pole Master the mount would only go East in right ascension.  it would go nonstop until I manually stopped it. Even when I hit west it would start turning East.  the only time it would go West is after hitting the South button then the West button at that point it would slew west.  Has anyone else had this issue?  nothing I did fixed it, turned it off then back on, unplugged then plugged back in, did an ASCOM diagnostic nothing worked.   

Sunil Bhaskar Bhaskaran

Brent,

The only time that happened to me was when I used the Degree option in the POTH controller. I always use the 2,5 or .2 or .02  step ones. The degree one is not the right one to use for Polemaster alignmaster, assuming if you are using that.

Sunil

Sent with Mailtrack

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 10:14 AM, brent.phillips79@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Ok, so this is a new one and has only happened once so far.  When i connected to POTH and used it to control the mount when doing a polar alignment with the Pole Master the mount would only go East in right ascension.  it would go nonstop until I manually stopped it. Even when I hit west it would start turning East.  the only time it would go West is after hitting the South button then the West button at that point it would slew west.  Has anyone else had this issue?  nothing I did fixed it, turned it off then back on, unplugged then plugged back in, did an ASCOM diagnostic nothing worked.   

Jeremy Parker

Hi Brent,

This happened to me when I used the POTH control with the 'speed' setting at 30°, or some other degree setting. Since you're right near the NCP, the east/west movements in degrees translate to LARGE movements by RA. I think the math may end up taking the mount to a location on the other side of the pier, which is why it moves east when you press west? What worked for me was to use the settings above 'Jog', like 2.5X, which works fine for turning RA by 30-45° at a time during the PoleMaster routine. So try that 2.5 setting and see if it works...

Regards,
Jeremy

Brent Phillips

thanks I will try that setting 

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Brent, 

Jeremy is correct, I could modify the ASCOM driver to check for this condition and restrict the motion when the mount is within some angle to the NCP, perhaps 10 degrees. I have had 3 or 4 customers ask me about it so far when they discovered it. I wouldn't consider it a bug in the driver though as it is only doing what the math is telling it to do.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.