Topics

Problem running AstroTortilla

Mike Leemhuis

I purchased an EXOS II mount and ES 102ED OTA this past Christmas and have started getting into astrophotography.  Over the last couple of months, with lots of Jerry's help,  I have gotten everything connected using CdC, PHD2 for tracking and a really useful program, AstroTortilla for aiming.  As most of you probably know, AT allows you to take a picture of the sky where the OTA is pointing and it uses plate solving to determine the actual pointing position.  It then sync's the OTA to this position and slews to the correct position.  This is a big time saver in aligning the OTA on whatever object you want to take a picture of.  In fact, it usually takes less than 30 seconds.

This past week my AT program suddenly would not connect to the POTH driver even though it was working previously.  I'll attach the long cryptic windows error message to this note.  I reloaded drivers and programs but could not get AT to attach to the ASCOM drivers and CdC at the same time.  After visiting many forums, I finally found the answer.

Somehow I had started AT with administrative privilege.  Once you start it that way, it will always start that way.  Apparently, windows has to have all programs that talk to each other running in AP mode or none of them can.  You can't mix them together.  So since I started AT with AP but not with CdC, PDH2, Cygwin, and POTH, I got the error when trying to connect.  The solution was to turn off the AP requirement for the AT program.  You do this by going to the program location and right clicking on the program, go to properties  and compatibility and uncheck the AP requirement box.

Now everything is running perfectly and life is good (except for the rain and clouds!)  Many thanks to Jerry for all the assistance in getting everything up and running.  He's a life saver!  Hopefully this long explanation will help others if they have a similar problem.

Mike Leemhuis

hubbell_jerry@...

HI Mike,

I'm glad you figured that out. When we talked yesterday, I thought it might be related to some kind of windows setting, but good work figuring that out, I never would have thought that.

Thanks

Clear Skies!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

Mike,

This was a timely post.  I think I may finally have my tracking stabilized, and pointing is my next problem. Where CdC thinks it's pointing, and where it's actually pointing are two different things.  I've just finished going through some options and have landed back at CdC and AstroTortilla, with BYN for camera control.

So - with all this integration behind you, how's the imaging working out for you?  :-)

- Bob