Topics

Pulse Guide

W. Christopher Moses

Hi Jerry,

Do you have a rough time frame, or prioritization, for pulse guiding.

Thanks,

Chris Moses

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Chris,

I have started looking at it, but with all the work I have on my schedule working on a new version of the PMC-Eight, it will be later this year before I get it done. I think once I start focusing on it, it shouldn't take all that long. The current ST4 auto-guiding port is implemented at the hardware/firmware level, so I have to modify the firmware to include a command to support the pulse-guiding function in ASCOM. Not a big deal, but I want to make sure I don't break anything of course when doing it. Also, I have not decided on a strategy, or the technique to use to integrate it into the existing firmware.

The current auto-guiding function runs in the watchdog process (on it's own processor) to maintain good response and does not interact with the command process (which is also running on it's own processor). I will probably configure it to run on the watchdog processor and monitor the 2 required parameters (Percent Sidereal Rate, and Duration) set up in the global memory space. I may be able to integrate it into the existing interface by just substituting the values read from the global memory space versus the value read from the hardware ST4 interface. We shall see. I may fit the work in sooner, if I think it won't take too long.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi Jerry,
Thanks for the info.
Please add +1 next to the votes for it.

I have to admit that I'm a little bit concerned that pulse-guiding might be a check-list item for some people. Many new comers (and even some people that have been in AP for a while) may never have used ST4 and may be reluctant to learn how to do it.

If I ever get around to making that video, I'll be sure to show how to set it up in PhD.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Chris, yes that is a concern here also. I am sure you have seen the conversations on CloudyNights about it also. It is priority 2 on my things to do (out of about 15). I am currently working with a new prototype board I just received that is priority, when I get that done, then I will move to this (among other updates to the firmware and ASCOM driver.)

W. Christopher Moses

I have not noticed that thread. Is it in Mounts?

hubbell_jerry@...

Yes, here is the link, I think you participated in the discussion, although not specifically about pulse-guiding. I think it is in some of the later conversation, this is a long thread.

Ben K

Perhaps we could set-up a poll-feature to track what features folks want, and Jerry and crew could use that (and their own understanding of the code, their strategy, etc) to make decisions about what they're interested in? Lots of software companies do something similar, especially when first adding features.