Topics

Question regarding the ASCOM Alpaca and Stellarium

Mike Hammer

Hello Jerry,

 Is it possible to run the Android version of Stellarium on a tablet using WiFi and with ASCOM Alpaca installed on the same tablet? i.e., can Stellarium be run without the use of a Windows based computer?

In Lieu of that possibility, is it possible to get the PMC-8 to emulate one of the scopes that the Android version of Stellarium (or SkySafari for that matter) natively supports?

Lastly, I was wondering why it is not possible to use both the WiFi and Serial Port with the PMC-8?

Mike Hammer,

Owner of a new EXOS2-GT with PMC-8.

PS, did your last name have an influence on your pursuit of a career in astronomy (and yes, I know it is spelled differently).

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 03:48 PM, Mike Hammer wrote:

 Is it possible to run the Android version of Stellarium on a tablet using WiFi and with ASCOM Alpaca installed on the same tablet? i.e., can Stellarium be run without the use of a Windows based computer?

In Lieu of that possibility, is it possible to get the PMC-8 to emulate one of the scopes that the Android version of Stellarium (or SkySafari for that matter) natively supports?

Lastly, I was wondering why it is not possible to use both the WiFi and Serial Port with the PMC-8?

Mike Hammer,

PS, did your last name have an influence on your pursuit of a career in astronomy (and yes, I know it is spelled differently).

Hi Mike,

It might be possible to run Alpaca on the Android tablet, you will just have to give it a try. You would have to run the PMC-Eight from a windows machine as that would be serving the PMC-Eight through the Alpaca connector to the network. The hardware configuration might look like this:

PMC-Eight <--serial---> WindowsPC <----> NETWORK <----> Android

The PMC-Eight uses the ES Command language as documented in the PMC-Eight Programmer's Reference. We do not have any current plans to update the firmware command interpreter to use any other command language. We did this because we did not want to have any issues at all with copyright infringement or other IP issues using Meade's or Celestron's command language in our product.

Currently the PMC-Eight only works with either serial OR wireless not both. The hardware design though does not preclude the use of both at the same time, This is a future enhancement that will be implemented at some point and is part of our long term plan for our product development. Stay Tuned!!

Thank you for mentioning my family name. The Hubbell/Hubble family is a small family. We all descended from a fellow who came to America in the 1600's.  If you search on Google, you can find the Hubbell Family Historical Society (Hubbell.org)
It probably had a small influence on me as I was growing up and learning about astronomy as I was very well aware of Edwin Hubble. It is a very cool thing to have the most famous space telescope named after my family name. As you can suspect, I use my name as a "hook" into the astronomy business, and it helps people remember my name if not my face, LOL!

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data