Release of 20A01 minor revision for Indi Users (All can load) #FIRMWARE

Wes Mcdonald

Folks:

Jerry has updated the release of the new universal firmware in response to a late breaking issue discovered by two of our beta testers who use the Indi driver.  The issue primarily affected Indi users, although users of the Windows driver could, under unusual use case, experience it.

If you are using the Indi driver, please wait to upgrade your firmware until the Indi community has published their updates to their driver which we hope would be soon.  We know that such an update is being worked on by the Beta testers.

We recommend all users reload the firmware from the just posted release (as of 8:30 EDT, 4/13/2021) if they have previously loaded the prior posted firmware.  The correct firmware will display a date of 2021.04.13 as part of the version code in the splash screen.

Thanks to all the beta testers for their efforts, they were instrumental in getting to this point where the code is releasable.

As of this note the Beta Test Group will be locked for further postings.  Henceforth, all users are encouraged to post issues as they may arise to the forum.

Regards,

Karl

Further to this, I have posted info about the updated INDI driver I'm working on in the DEV subgroup.  Please direct any questions or feedback there.  Just to re-emphasize, the old INDI driver is not compatible with the new firmware.  If you want to be able to keep using INDI with the new firmware, you will need to get the new driver.

--
Karl
Austin, Texas

Mount: PMC-8 EXOS2
Scope: ES N208CF Astrograph
Camera: Pentax K-70
Guider:
SX Ultrastar C, ZWO ASI120MC

Focuser: MyFocuserPro2
Software
: Indi on Raspberry Pi 4

Paul Meesters

Can someone please explain what INDI drivers and INDI users are ?
I take it that it has nothing to do with being from India, but the meaning eludes me, so I have no idea if I need to update the firmware or not.
--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

Mirko Gude

Hi Paul ,

Google is your friend  ;-)

WHAT IS INDI?

INDI Library is an open source software to control astronomical equipment. It is based on the Instrument Neutral Distributed Interface (INDI) protocol and acts as a bridge between software clients and hardware devices. Since it is network transparent, it enables you to communicate with your equipment transparently over any network without requiring any 3rd party software. It is simple enough to control a single backyard telescope, and powerful enough to control state of the art observatories across multiple locations

Best,
Mirko

Am 14.04.2021 um 08:12 schrieb Paul Meesters <p.h.meesters@...>:

[...]

Mounts: ES PMC-8 IEXOS 100, ES EXOS2-GT
Scopes: Skywatcher 80/600, TS Photoline 72/432mm-Apo
Cameras:  Nikon Z6, D7000, ZWO ASI385 Color, QHY 5L-II-mono
Lens: Sigma 150-600mm, Sigma Art 135mm/1,8, Nikon Z 50mm/1,8, Tamron 70-200mm
Msc: LRTimelapse Pro Timer 2.5, Raspberry Pi4, Polemaster, GPS Dongle, QHY miniGuideScope
Software: PixInsight, Kstars, Starry Night, Redshift

Wes Mcdonald

Paul

The new firmware provides various helpful new features and also improves the pointing accuracy of the mounts.  The new ascom driver also has changes and is necessary to operate the new firmware.

I suggest that you upgrade.

Eduardo Simone

Indi drivers are the Linux/macOS version of ascom. Some of us like to use a raspberry pi to run our mounts while doing astrophotography. That’s what indi/indi drivers are about.

Ed Simone
--
Meade LX 80 6" SCT and Meade DS 114mm Newtonian
Meade 2nd Digital Series Goto mount with 497 bandbox

ettore.ribaudo@...

Hello Eduardo.

Driver Indi are for Raspberry and mac; Ascom for Windows. I use Raspberry with Astroberry , for Nikon and telescope i use Kstar and Ekos.

Ettore

: IExos 100
Scopes: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO
Cameras:  Canon 1300D
Country:Italy

Steve Siedentop

Hi Paul -

INDI is a Linux/MacOS client server framework similar in purpose to ASCOM.  StellarMate, ASIAir, AstroBerry, etc. all run flavors of INDI.

There’s a fork called INDIGO that is backward compatible with INDI drivers and handles large file transfers better than INDI.  Cloudmakers has a number of MacOS apps that are well done.

-Steve

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 2:12 AM Paul Meesters <p.h.meesters@...> wrote:
[...]

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari

Luiz Sanches

I have a iExus 100, and after upgrade, the INDI driver don´t connect with the mount using Kstars on mac (I am wanting for the new driver) and the NEW Ascom driver also don´t connect, only the old Ascom driver.

Paul Meesters

Asiair Pro seems to be working still after the firmware upgrade. At least, the buttons used to manually slew RA and Dec still make the mount move.

Since there's cloud at the moment, I can't test guiding yet. If push comes to shove, there's always the possibility to rollback to a previous firmware.
--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

Wes Mcdonald

PauL

As i recall the first thing about the INDI was that we broke the mount id part as the get version command response is changed.  The second thing that is broken is a slew to a static az el.  Finally, the goto performance may not be as good as it was or it might be better.  Has to do with how the driver computed things.  Don't know.

Not sure what else might be broken.  Perhaps KArl can chime in.
Wes.

Luiz

If the old driver connects so too will the new driver -- no changes there.  Did you setup the new driver for the correct comm port and for serial comms?

Yes wait for INDI to be fixed properly.  Perhaps Karl will tell us all

Wes.

Karl

If Asiair Pro can connect to the new firmware, then they're either using my update to the INDI driver, or doing their own improvements behind the scene.  My update should have made it into the INDI nightly builds by now, but there's a lot of different release channels, and I'm not sure who uses what.  The stable version of INDI won't have my updated driver until the 1.9.0 release, I believe.  I wouldn't be surprised if INDI on the Mac lags behind significantly, so your best bet would be to compile it yourself.

There shouldn't be anything broken with the updated INDI driver.  Users *may* see slightly more accurate gotos and guiding on account of the new firmware.  One of the biggest changes was eliminating the need for an inverted cable (though the inverted cable is probably still preferred).

That said, I just pushed a second update to my fork that overhauls pulse guiding, supports different SRF rates for RA/DEC, *may* support southern hemisphere (need a tester), fixes some obscure tracking issues, and a few other things.  I had some clear skies tonight and it hasn't blown anything up yet.  I'm not sure what the real world impact will be, but just to give an idea--I cut out at least 80-100ms of delay each time a pulse is issued (by making some pretty reasonable assumptions such as that another client won't be messing with the tracking rate and that the mount won't be tracking in Dec).

It's a big enough change, that I'm going to wait a while before I do a pull request, but I would welcome testing by anyone who wants to build my fork.

--
Karl
Austin, Texas

Mount: PMC-8 EXOS2