Topics

Release of Latest PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver and ExploreStars Android App

hubbell_jerry@...

I have just posted the release version of the PMC-Eight ASCOM driver in the files section at:

This version includes support for ASCOMPAD gamepad interface program. You can find ASCOMPAD here:
OR

The sourceforge.net version is from 2011 though.

The Latest PMC-Eight SDK which includes this new driver is here:

The Android App has been released and is available here. This page has the installation instructions.

We are working on getting it loaded and available on the Google Play Store but it takes a bit of doing. We wanted to get it out there so we created this page for you to download it. You have to install it manually on your Android Tablet device though. You need to load the files onto an SD card and put it in your Tablet.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions about these releases.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh@...

Devin Gingrich

Outstanding news!! Any update on how development for the iOS version is going (or did I miss that message)?

-Devin

Sent from an .

On Apr 3, 2018, at 6:15 PM, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

[...]

HI Devin,

We have just started the iOS development, but there is an alternative for Apple users if you have a MAC OS X system. Through the use of the PMC-Eight INDI driver for LINUX very generously developed by Michael Fulbright, it may be possible to use the PMC-Eight on MAC OS X.

The following is available for download. This client and server, along with the INDI driver you should be able to navigate the sky with the PMC-Eight system. There may be other OS X clients that use the INDI driver also, I have not researched this though.

AstroTelescope for MAC OS X

INDI Server for OS X

Michael if you could respond on how to get and install the INDI driver for MAC, that would be great!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

David Pickett

At 01:23 04-04-18, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

We have just started the iOS development, but there is an alternative for Apple users if you have a MAC OS X system.
Congratulations on getting the Android app working.

But for those who wish to use an iPhone or iPad as a controller for the PMC_8, MAC-OS is not an alternative to iOS!

David

r_hoskin@...

Is anybody else having trouble opening ES_PMC8 ASCOM Driver Setup_2018_04_04.zip ?
I'm getting 'invalid' from all of Winzip, 7-zip, and Windows Explorer (Win7).

The larger SDK zip opens just fine...

- Bob

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

No worries.  All sorted out.

When doing "save target as" from the link in Jerry's announcement note, I get a 77kb stub of the .zip.
But...
If I go to the Files section and select the driver from there, I get a properly-sized .zip downloaded, that unzips just fine.

[2nd try to send this - what's up with Yahoo?]

Is anybody else having trouble opening ES_PMC8 ASCOM Driver Setup_2018_04_04.zip ?
I'm getting 'invalid' from all of Winzip, 7-zip, and Windows Explorer (Win7).

The larger SDK zip opens just fine...

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

I just saw your messages about the link. Yahoo is a bit quirky sometimes it seems. I have seen in the past if you copy and save the link it doesn't work, but if you just click on it, it works. Really strange.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jeny@

Hi,

 I getting error 'Could not open database file' on ExploreStars startup. Seems the issue is it cannot locate databse and images, but ExploreStars folder with data is installed on SDCard under Android directory.
Please, see attached image for details. Any ides how how to fix it?

Thanks!

CYRIL BONNETT

Hi

I have just uninstalled explorestars from my tablet and the reinstalled it to the sd card.

I removed the sd card fom my Sony Xperia tablet and put it into the laptop.

Download the Explorestars.zip  first and unzip it  to the sd card’s root directory, don’t put it in the android  directory, I then downloaded the APK from to the new  Explore Stars folder onto the sd  card.

http://www.explorescientific.com/pmc-eight/Android.html

Replace the sd card in android device, locate the Explore Stars folder and run the apk.

It worked fine.

Hope it works as I’ve found using the Android version better than the windows version.

Cyril

 I getting error 'Could not open database file' on ExploreStars startup. Seems the issue is it cannot locate databse and images, but ExploreStars folder with data is installed on SDCard under Android directory.
Please, see attached image for details. Any ides how how to fix it?

Thanks!

Jeny@

Thanks Cyril,
It worked! I guess official instruction is somewhere wrong!

[...]

Hi Jenya,

Thanks Cyril for helping out, I have been away this past week. Jenya, if you look closely at the directory structure shown after step 2 on the installation instructions here

You will see that the ExploreStars directory is NOT installed under the Android directory, but is on the root of the SMD card as Cyril stated. The picture can be a little confusing if you don't look closely at the structure lines.

I am glad you have it working now.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jeny@

Hi,
Yeah, after you pointed it out, I see now that explorestars is under root. IMO, if take out Android from the structure and rename 'e:' to 'SD Card' would make more sence.

Additionally, it's not related but still it's that added to my difficulties is that instalation instruction is inside of pmc8 box! Since it got assembled last, I first thought there are no instructions at all. Normally, instructions are on top of the stuff and once you open box it's first thing you see. Anyway, seems all is working now.
Thanks!