Reload old Explorestars if Updated Explorestars has issues with Android 10/9 #ExploreStars #Android

Wes Mcdonald

Folks:

If you updated Explorestars with the new version from the play store you may be having issues with Android 10, and potentially Android 9.  Explore Scientific has posted a link to the old Explorestars on their web site:

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system

1.  If you click on the red link

Previous Version of Android OS ExploreStars App Download (APK FILE)

your PC will download the zip file for the .apk .  It may be possible for you to download it directly to your Android using a browser on your tablet.  If not, download it to your PC and after unzipping move it to your Android's SD card (using a card reader etc.).

2.  Force stop Explorestars and de-install it, along with its data in the Settings/apps area of Android.

3.  Use the Android file explorer to navigate to the .apk and click on it to run it.  Android should ask for permission to do so, so answer yes and proceed.

4.  The application will install and be ready to run.  You will need to reset the settings in Explorestars, notably the site location.

This file is the previous version that appears to operate normally on all versions of Android so far.

Wes.

brian skinner

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 01:36 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
[...]

Hi Wes, just to confirm for anybody else experiencinqg this problem. My android 10 Tab A is running the old app faultlessly, as before, I've just run my first viewing session and all went fine. Thankyou and the ES guys again for sorting this issue.

Kind regards, Brian
--
Brian Skinner
iEXOS100

Pete@torrington

This old version works on my Samsung tablet running Android 8.1.0 (Oreo).
It would be interesting to know which OS versions need this fix.
Since 8.1.0 is now the oldest supported version, it may be all,
in which case the new version of the app needs fixing.
That raises the question: what platform was used to develop and test the new version.

Oh, what a tangled web...

Wes Mcdonald

The new Explorestars is being examined.  There was an entirely new set of libraries.

I believe the new Explorestars should run in 8.1. I believe I had it on that before I upgraded  to 9 to see what would happen. On my machine it ran fine on 9. But I think there was a report herein that it didn’t on that person’s machine.

Too hard to figure out.  Try it and see. Developer is working the issue.