Topics

Round stars!

r_hoskin@...

Well...I *think* that I'm finally making some headway in my quest for round stars :-)

I did have some briefly in January, but they got away on me.  The next time out, I was getting some odd-shaped tracks.  I called them seagulls, but David more properly characterized them as dumbbell-shaped.

In the course of going over the mount for sources of unwelcome movement, I found that the RA axis had picked up some play.  I had been moving the mount with the cwt attached, and may have done that to myself.  No more.  Anyway, ES provided some instructions for adjusting the worm and gear (have to consider the belt drive), and I took most of the play out.

Reduced some of the 'stuff' on the scope and rebalanced it.  I was prepared to try the one-side-heavy thing tonight, but it didn't appear to be needed.

I updated my Sharpcap and did a dual PA (Vertical to 90 -> 'Good', then 90 back to vertical -> 'Excellent').

Attached is a 120sec image from tonight.  Could be sharper, but the tracking seems to be working much better.  Progress!

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

It's good to hear that you are getting things resolved. For some reason, I don't see a link for your image, it's not in-line in your message either. I have noticed that when I attach images to posts, that it doesn't seem to work at all. I end up uploading the image to the group and then getting a link to it to post on the message.  This has been going on for me for quite a while. Does anyone else see this behavior? or am I the only one having problems.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

Hi Jerry!

Arggh!...  I posted to the group w/attachment, and it did come back to my email w/attachment - but I don't see it on the group post!   Good 'ol Yahoo... :-)

Anyway, here's the photo.  Kicking myself that I didn't try for more than 120 - looks to me like it could have gone longer.  I'm not using a flattener, so the stars on the edges don't count :-))

- Bob