Topics

Round stars!

r_hoskin@...

Well...I *think* that I'm finally making some headway in my quest for round stars :-)

I did have some briefly in January, but they got away on me.  The next time out, I was getting some odd-shaped tracks.  I called them seagulls, but David more properly characterized them as dumbbell-shaped.

In the course of going over the mount for sources of unwelcome movement, I found that the RA axis had picked up some play.  I had been moving the mount with the cwt attached, and may have done that to myself.  No more.  Anyway, ES provided some instructions for adjusting the worm and gear (have to consider the belt drive), and I took most of the play out.  

Reduced some of the 'stuff' on the scope and rebalanced it.  I was prepared to try the one-side-heavy thing tonight, but it didn't appear to be needed.

I updated my Sharpcap and did a dual PA (Vertical to 90 -> 'Good', then 90 back to vertical -> 'Excellent').

Attached is a 120sec image from tonight.  Could be sharper, but the tracking seems to be working much better.  Progress!

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

It's good to hear that you are getting things resolved. For some reason, I don't see a link for your image, it's not in-line in your message either. I have noticed that when I attach images to posts, that it doesn't seem to work at all. I end up uploading the image to the group and then getting a link to it to post on the message.  This has been going on for me for quite a while. Does anyone else see this behavior? or am I the only one having problems.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Robert Hoskin <r_hoskin@...>

Hi Jerry!

Arggh!...  I posted to the group w/attachment, and it did come back to my email w/attachment - but I don't see it on the group post!   Good 'ol Yahoo... :-)

Anyway, here's the photo.  Kicking myself that I didn't try for more than 120 - looks to me like it could have gone longer.  I'm not using a flattener, so the stars on the edges don't count :-))

- Bob

To: ESPMC-Eight@...
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 9:17 AM
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Re: Round stars!

Hi Bob,

It's good to hear that you are getting things resolved. For some reason, I don't see a link for your image, it's not in-line in your message either. I have noticed that when I attach images to posts, that it doesn't seem to work at all. I end up uploading the image to the group and then getting a link to it to post on the message.  This has been going on for me for quite a while. Does anyone else see this behavior? or am I the only one having problems.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

David Pickett

Jerry,

I cant say that you are the ONLY one having this
problem; but it doesnt exist for me: I receive all the attached files.

Best,

David

At 14:17 19-03-18, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Hi Bob,

It's good to hear that you are getting things
resolved. For some reason, I don't see a link
for your image, it's not in-line in your message
either. I have noticed that when I attach images
to posts, that it doesn't seem to work at all. I
end up uploading the image to the group and then
getting a link to it to post on the
message. This has been going on for me for
quite a while. Does anyone else see this
behavior? or am I the only one having problems.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Wes Mcdonald

Bob:

Good News!

One thing of note: when I received my mount it all seemed well, but after running it around for fun it bound up and the motor stalled (eventually both RA and DEC displayed this even with no load on the mount). The fix was to loosen the worm/wheel a bit. In doing this I found there is a bit of run-out in the mesh tolerance as a function of the rotation angle through the entire range of motion. Accordingly I had to settle for more backlash in some orientations than in others. At least that is what it seemed like. I made those adjustments after discussing things with Jerry H. So, hopefully you will not stumble across some stalling events due to binding as the worm/wheel mesh changes over time with the orientation of the two shafts.

Regards,
Wes.

Thanks, Wes!

Mine never got to the point of binding, but I know what you mean.  I got my instructions via Jessica and Alex at ES, and Alex's note was specific about rotating and checking to avoid binding at points at points in the mesh. 

When I checked for that, I found I was able to go from a loose and easy pulley-spin at one RA extreme, to a bind on the other side - I think my aluminum gear's mesh, at least, must be a bit out of round.  With the lock off, I was able to rotate the binding sector down to about 6 o'clock, where the mount was unable/unlikely to encounter it. That left me with a more consistent arc to adjust to.  I'd mess that workaround up if I ran the motors with the lock off, but I'm not likely to do that. 

- Bob

Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 12:29 PM

Bob:

Good News!

One thing of note: when I received my mount it all seemed well, but after running it around for fun it bound up and the motor stalled (eventually both RA and DEC displayed this even with no load on the mount). The fix was to loosen the worm/wheel a bit. In doing this I found there is a bit of run-out in the mesh tolerance as a function of the rotation angle through the entire range of motion. Accordingly I had to settle for more backlash in some orientations than in others. At least that is what it seemed like. I made those adjustments after discussing things with Jerry H. So, hopefully you will not stumble across some stalling events due to binding as the worm/wheel mesh changes over time with the orientation of the two shafts.

Regards,
Wes.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

I see it now. that's very good. I think you probably could go for a few minutes as long as your guiding is good. How did you attach the photo so that it showed up in the message?  I must have screwed something up in my browser configuration as I can't seen to attach photos and have them show up in my messages like you just did. I see your photo fine now.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <r_hoskin@...> wrote :

Hi Jerry!

Arggh!...  I posted to the group w/attachment, and it did come back to my email w/attachment - but I don't see it on the group post!   Good 'ol Yahoo... :-)

Anyway, here's the photo.  Kicking myself that I didn't try for more than 120 - looks to me like it could have gone longer.  I'm not using a flattener, so the stars on the edges don't count :-))

- Bob

From: "hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight]" <ESPMC-Eight@...>

Hi Bob,

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

Jerry,

That image is unguided.  :-)
I do have a guidescope w/Altair, but I'm just using it for PA, with Sharpcap.  I've got a bunch of work to do on the basics, before I try guiding.  I may get some clear sky tonight and I'll see if I can match or do better. 

I'm using Firefox when I'm in Yahoo.  The first post was just a straight file attachment done while in the grou the group.  For me, at least, the attachment did show up when my post's email filtered through, but does not show up for me while in the group's interface.  Sounds like David is having better luck with this.  As far as the second post goes, I'm using the Yahoo webmail client, and I just replied to your post from within that with attachemnt.
- Bob

From: "hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight]" <ESPMC-Eight@...>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2018 1:35 PM

Hi Bob,

I see it now. that's very good. I think you probably could go for a few minutes as long as your guiding is good. How did you attach the photo so that it showed up in the message?  I must have screwed something up in my browser configuration as I can't seen to attach photos and have them show up in my messages like you just did. I see your photo fine now.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

---In ESPMC-Eight@..., <r_hoskin@...> wrote :

Hi Jerry!

- Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

David Pickett

At 19:01 19-03-18, Robert Hoskin r_hoskin@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

I'm using Firefox when I'm in Yahoo. The first post was just a straight file attachment done while in the grou the group. For me, at least, the attachment did show up when my post's email filtered through, but does not show up for me while in the group's interface. Sounds like David is having better luck with this.
I have set individual mails to come to my mail client on my home computer (via POP3). I prefer that, as I can archive those that I think I may need down the line.

David