Saddle to mount alignment EXOS 2 #EXOS2 #alignment

alandebrut

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, I have noticed recently that my mount when in the home position seems out, both RA & DEC arrows are aligned but my scope is pointing off to the right by a couple of degrees.
Also, the weight bar is not centred along the front leg.

This means that when I PA and have Polaris centred with my Polemaster its not centred in the scope

I took the scope out of the saddle and placed a long piece of wood in the saddle and locked it in place and sure enough when in the home position the piece of wood is pointing off to the right.

Is this normal? if not what might be the solution?

I can recenter using the Alt/Az screws but this means that one screw is almost all the way in and the other is hanging on by a thread

I conclude this cannot be right.

Any help would be most welcome.
Thank you

Alan
--
Warrington
UK

Explore Scientific:  Telescope AR102, F6.5   Exos 2, PMC8
ZWO Electronic Auto-focuser   ZWO ASI Air Pro
ZWO ASI533 main camera   ZWO ASI120mm guide
QHY PoleMaster     Altair 290C

Celestron SE8 plus mount    Starsense
Sharpcap Pro,    CDC   Stellarium   APT   Firecapture
Canon 80D

Jennifer Shelly

Alan:

I think the answer lies with the tripod.  Is the tripod level in all axis (x, y, z)?  Are the tripod legs fully extended? Is the tripod spreader firmly pressed against all of the tripod legs? Rotating the tripod in the direction of the severe Az adjustment will help.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA 400, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

James Ball

Somewhere in the forums there is a write up on how to set the mount to accurate polar home.  The arrows are not always accurate and there is no encoder to tell the mount when it is homed, it simply takes the position it is in when power on as home.  Once you find the exact accurate polar home you can use tape and a marker to make more accurate arrows on the mount, but if the level of the tripod changes so does the exact home position.
--
James Ball
Dawson Springs, Ky

Wes Mcdonald

Alan:

Paper on setting polar home in Mounts subgroup, files section.

wes

alandebrut

Hi,

As always thanks for the response and help, I'll check out the paper Wes and the tripod again.

Its not really affecting its performance, thats normally down to me, just seemed odd.

Thanks, have a great Easter all :)
Alan