Topics

"Scope Driver not capable of providing equatorial or alt/az coordinates, disconnecting."

Steve Siedentop

Hi All -

I saw one post with this error, but it was centered around WiFi problems.

I have a known good FTDI USB to Serial adapter that successfully controls my Celestron mounts, although I don't think this is an adapter issue as I'm seeing command strings passed in the ASCOM trace file.

When I uncheck Autotrack, I receive the same message, suffixed with "Try auto track."

I've used this on two computers with the same results.  I am able to connect via WiFi, but I'm not able to connect via the serial port.

The ASCOM trace file is attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Steve

Steve Siedentop

I didn't state this in the original email...if it wasn't clear...

I'm getting this error when attempting to connect to the PMC8 via the serial port.  I've tried connecting the serial adapter directly to the port as well as through a known good serial 9 pin serial cable.

-Steve

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 11:17 PM, sdsiedentop@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Hi All -

I saw one post with this error, but it was centered around WiFi problems.

I have a known good FTDI USB to Serial adapter that successfully controls my Celestron mounts, although I don't think this is an adapter issue as I'm seeing command strings passed in the ASCOM trace file.

When I uncheck Autotrack, I receive the same message, suffixed with "Try auto track."

I've used this on two computers with the same results.  I am able to connect via WiFi, but I'm not able to connect via the serial port.

The ASCOM trace file is attached.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Steve

W. Christopher Moses

Have you tried communicating with the mount through a terminal program?

When you say "known good" what do you mean? How did you test it?

Steve Siedentop

Hi Chris -

I haven't tried communicating with the mount via a terminal program.  I'll try that next.

By known good, I mean I have tested the adapter successfully by controlling another mount with it on the same two machines I was unable to control the PMC8 with.

-Steve

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 11:34 PM chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Have you tried communicating with the mount through a terminal program?

When you say "known good" what do you mean? How did you test it?

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,
    Did you flip it into serial mode.  If you were using wifi, you need to tell it to switch.  You used to have to do this in a terminal program, but it looks like the new ascom driver might do it.

If anybody knows for certain about the driver, please chime in.  If not, I'll look at the code tomorrow.

Steve Siedentop

I did set the UI control to Serial via the ASCOM driver.

I’ll try to change it via PuTTY.

-Steve

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 12:29 AM chris_moses@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Hi,

    Did you flip it into serial mode.  If you were using wifi, you need to tell it to switch.  You used to have to do this in a terminal program, but it looks like the new ascom driver might do it.

If anybody knows for certain about the driver, please chime in.  If not, I'll look at the code tomorrow.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Steve,

Currently you need to reference Application Note 2 here:

to switch the communications channel from wireless to serial port. I have on my list to make that switch via the ASCOM driver configuration dialogue but have not implemented it yet.

Sorry about the confusion.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

W. Christopher Moses

Hi,

    Jerry - I have a few days off, I'll see if I can get around to it.  If not, maybe a simple change to the wording, to make it clear that it is only telling the driver which one to use, would be helpful.
   Maybe something like:
          Driver will listen for PMC-8 on:    X Wifi     X Serial

Where the Xs are radio buttons.
    Just a thought.

Chris

Steve Siedentop

Mystery solved...thank you Jerry!

-Steve

On Fri, May 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

Currently you need to reference Application Note 2 here:

to switch the communications channel from wireless to serial port. I have on my list to make that switch via the ASCOM driver configuration dialogue but have not implemented it yet.

Sorry about the confusion.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Chris,

Yes, that is a simple change. I will look at doing the actual switch in the driver and then post that on our website. I will probably post it to the Yahoo group for people to test also.

Thanks