Topics

Serial-to-UBS adapters that work

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

We've got a decent list of tablets that are proven to work.

Member Bob Hoskins suggested we get the same going for the FTDI chip-set adapters that users have proven to work.

If you have a set that works, please respond here with EXACTLY what it is. A photo of it might be a nice way to show members what it looks like.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Jeremy Parker

Hi Kent,

I'll just give you a short list of things that have been working fine for me. I've been using this model FTDI serial-to-USB adapter cable from Amazon without any problems:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QUZY4JC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's of any use to people who want a longer cable to their Nikon DSLR, for my Nikon D5300, I'm using the stock/proprietary USB cable but with a USB extension cable to get more length:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F212M84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My USB 3.0 hub is also from Amazon, and I've had no issues with it either:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0788NM6WQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, on the tablet side, I'm using a 5th gen Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10, also with no issues using any of my normal imaging software or ExploreStars:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SF41Y9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Jeremy
--
Scope: StellarVue SV102T  & Optimus Eyepieces
Mount:  Explore Scientific PMC-Eight G11, Spring-loaded OPWB on DEC, O-Vision Worm on RA

Kent,

Here's my post from back in the day:  Parallax adapter + housing mod for it

https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/message/346

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide

Steve Siedentop

Hi Kent -

Here's what I have used successfully:

InstallerParts USB to Serial Adapter USB Male/DB9 Male FTDI Chipset – Mac and Windows Compatible

The following instructions work with it so you can use the PMC8 G11 and EXOS 2 with INDI or INDIGO running on a Linux device.

-Steve

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 9:52 AM Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Support <kent@...> wrote:
We've got a decent list of tablets that are proven to work.

Member Bob Hoskins suggested we get the same going for the FTDI chip-set adapters that users have proven to work.

If you have a set that works, please respond here with EXACTLY what it is. A photo of it might be a nice way to show members what it looks like.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11, Skywatcher NEQ-6, Celestron AVX
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Celestron C6, Stellarvue SV80ED, Coronado Solarmax 40

Steve Lang

Based on other recommendations I had read, I'm using a UGreen USB-Serial converter.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ugreen-USB-to-RS232-DB9-Serial-Converter-Adapter-Cable-with-FTDI-Chipset-Driverless-for-Win8-1/32671527899.html to be specific.

Seems to be working well for me so far.

On 15/06/19 1:52 AM, Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Support wrote:
We've got a decent list of tablets that are proven to work.

Member Bob Hoskins suggested we get the same going for the FTDI chip-set adapters that users have proven to work.

If you have a set that works, please respond here with EXACTLY what it is. A photo of it might be a nice way to show members what it looks like.

Kent Marts
Customer Service
Explore Scientific

Jennifer Shelly

I have had success with the following cables

Sabrent USB 2.0 to Serial (9-Pin) DB-9 RS-232 Adapter Cable 6ft Cable [FTDI Chipset] (CB-FTDI)

DTECH 10 Feet USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Port Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset Supports Windows 10 8 7 and Mac Linux
--
Sincerely,
Jennifer Shelly

AstroPorch, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES N208CF, Meade APO 70 MM Astrograph, QHY Mini Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY168C, ZWO ASI183MC-P, ZWO ASI183MM, Nikon D5600
Misc: Baader SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong L-Pro
Imaging Software:  APT, BYN, SharpCap Pro, ASICap

I have been using the PArallax serial converter and have recommended people just get it and be done.  Its drawback is that it is not packaged so you have to Macgyver something up.  But given other's experience I decided to try a packaged unit also.   I bought the Dtech 10 foot cable, DT-5031.  It does indeed connect and run the PMC-8 via serial and costs a whooping $15.  Comes packaged, and has three nice status lights in the serial connector.  BUT it does not support RTS.  Jerry, is this an issue?  I think it might be for this cable if one wants to program the PMC?

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 12:48 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
BUT it does not support RTS.  Jerry, is this an issue?
The system requires the DTR line along with XMT, RECV, and GND. The DTR line is used for initialing the boot loader when updating the firmware. You can use that cable probably if you never want to update your firmware.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

wcblack1020@...

Edited

This cable from Amazon is working great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07589V742