Topics

Shailendra's guide issue #EXOS2

Shailendra,

New topics should go in new threads!  Easy to do if you want to branch off an existing one, from email - just change the subject line, like I did.  :-)

Re: your guiding going bad after adding dew heaters...  How are you powering your mount?  Off the mains, or battery?  And if battery, what kind?   Thinking voltage drop may be messing you up...

Re: Lock (aka clutch) adjustment.  Not that I know of, but the EXOS2 is a descendant of the LXD75, and the stardeck observatory pages cover that, although it's a bit confusing that he jumps from lock adjustment to worm adjustment, so parse that section carefully.  :-)

Link below.  Just FYI, while the exploded diagrams you'll find on that page are certainly close to of our mount internals, they are not correct where bearings and related spacers are concerned. 

You can see the lock components on the diagrams.  Pretty simple - lever and threaded rod, presses a little button of some hard metal against the side of the ring gear.  This creates a mechanical link between the outer shell of the mount, that your scope attaches to, and the ring gear, which is permanently engaged with the worm and motors.  Lock off, no engagement, lock on, engagement. 

- Bob

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, at 04:26, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Morning guys,

is there a way to check tracking during the day? I added a few dew heaters and knocked my guiding from 0.70 to 5.45 and had lots if issues last night. So will rebalanced and try again. Also I need to adjust the ra lock. Do we have a vid or docs?

Thanks
Chox

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...>
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2020 11:41:34 PM
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Moving the EXOS2 tuning notes? #EXOS2

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 05:21 PM, Robert Hoskin wrote:

Thoughts?  And are you ok for storage budget if I do that?  

I think that moving the file to the Main files is fine. It would be great if new users would read and heed the sticky Main forum messages, but you can't force it.
I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2 290M
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>

Thanks Bob!

Mount is powered by mains. Dew heaters separately on a skywatcher 17ah power pack. Laptop separately mains powered. With cameras attached to the laptop.

I saw that Scott had covered it on an episode of the explore scientific broadcast just cannot find the episode. Only reason is its making it a bit difficult to check ra balance for east bias. As it sticks from about 11 o clock to anything depending really. Before prob wasn't an issue as I must have been on the cusp. And now I need to check the east bias due to the added weight.

I have played with it today in between meetings. And I have it a bit better. But just need to test it now. For the dec, if it is going to sway one way or another is it better to go east or west?

At the moment.the dec If moved east it wants to go west If wes tit stays west.

If the ra is east heavy when i move to the west should it balance or still be scope heavy? It was scope heavy. I have it so it now balances.

If not..goodbye dew heaters! Hahaha

Thanks again Bob :-)

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 3:26:56 PM
Subject: [ESPMC-Eight] Shailendra's guide issue #EXOS2

Shailendra,

New topics should go in new threads!  Easy to do if you want to branch off an existing one, from email - just change the subject line, like I did.  :-)

Re: your guiding going bad after adding dew heaters...  How are you powering your mount?  Off the mains, or battery?  And if battery, what kind?   Thinking voltage drop may be messing you up...

Re: Lock (aka clutch) adjustment.  Not that I know of, but the EXOS2 is a descendant of the LXD75, and the stardeck observatory pages cover that, although it's a bit confusing that he jumps from lock adjustment to worm adjustment, so parse that section carefully.  :-)

Link below.  Just FYI, while the exploded diagrams you'll find on that page are certainly close to of our mount internals, they are not correct where bearings and related spacers are concerned. 

You can see the lock components on the diagrams.  Pretty simple - lever and threaded rod, presses a little button of some hard metal against the side of the ring gear.  This creates a mechanical link between the outer shell of the mount, that your scope attaches to, and the ring gear, which is permanently engaged with the worm and motors.  Lock off, no engagement, lock on, engagement. 

- Bob

Morning guys,

is there a way to check tracking during the day? I added a few dew heaters and knocked my guiding from 0.70 to 5.45 and had lots if issues last night. So will rebalanced and try again. Also I need to adjust the ra lock. Do we have a vid or docs?

Thanks
Chox

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...>

I think that moving the file to the Main files is fine. It would be great if new users would read and heed the sticky Main forum messages, but you can't force it.
I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

Argh!  So no voltage drop, you've got it all isolated..  

Section 4 of my tuning doc covers balance.  Generally not hard, but what's your scope?    

The other thing you might want to look for is cables doing things they ought not...

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, at 10:48, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Thanks Bob!

Mount is powered by mains. Dew heaters separately on a skywatcher 17ah power pack. Laptop separately mains powered. With cameras attached to the laptop.

I saw that Scott had covered it on an episode of the explore scientific broadcast just cannot find the episode. Only reason is its making it a bit difficult to check ra balance for east bias. As it sticks from about 11 o clock to anything depending really. Before prob wasn't an issue as I must have been on the cusp. And now I need to check the east bias due to the added weight.

I have played with it today in between meetings. And I have it a bit better. But just need to test it now. For the dec, if it is going to sway one way or another is it better to go east or west?

If the ra is east heavy when i move to the west should it balance or still be scope heavy? It was scope heavy. I have it so it now balances.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Robert Hoskin <devonshire@...>

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Thanks Bob. Yes first test of dew heaters so wnsyed it isolated just in case. The scope is a 102t skywatcher not heavy 3kg I think.

Pic attached of whats on it.Image
 I'll read the balance part in your doc after work

Cheers
Chox 

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 4:01:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ESPMC-Eight] Shailendra's guide issue #EXOS2

Section 4 of my tuning doc covers balance.  Generally not hard, but what's your scope?    

The other thing you might want to look for is cables doing things they ought not...

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Hey Bob,

Have a look at my video if you get a chance. So if I'm east heavy. When the scope is on the west should it be west heavy? Or should it stay where I have manually moved it too. East heavy last night killed the tracking. It was a little windy so I did weigh the tripod down with the extra weight. And seemed stable enough. But the tracking has never had issues with my ra. Normally dec! Hahaha

Cheers
Chox

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 4:38:11 PM

Thanks Bob. Yes first test of dew heaters so wnsyed it isolated just in case. The scope is a 102t skywatcher not heavy 3kg I think.

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Shailendra,

The east-heavy thing can easily become confusing, until you "become the RA axis".   :-)) 
Then , it's easy.   
Read the section, but here's the gist of it:

<<
Balancing East-heavy is easy. Begin by balancing your mount evenly. Slew to your target. Then, simply stand in front of your mount’s RA axis, with your back to North, and your face to south. Make sure that the things on the left of the RA axis are heavier than the things on the right. That’s all there is to it. If the weights are on the left, move them down the weight bar by an inch or two. If they’re on the right, move them up.
Done.>>

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, at 11:57, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Hey Bob,

Have a look at my video if you get a chance. So if I'm east heavy. When the scope is on the west should it be west heavy? Or should it stay where I have manually moved it too. East heavy last night killed the tracking. It was a little windy so I did weigh the tripod down with the extra weight. And seemed stable enough. But the tracking has never had issues with my ra. Normally dec! Hahaha

Cheers
Chox

Pic attached of whats on it.

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Attachments:
  • processed.jpeg

--

Thanks Bob.

I'll try that but it sort of goes against all of the vids I've seen. They all say;

Stand behind mount. Turn ra axis 90 deg. Release dec axis balance dec so its camera heavy. Done.

Ra axis move so scope is on the east and make sure its scope heavy.
What it diesnt tell you that if when the east side becomes the west side. Then what?
Should it stay put? Or should it now be west heavy.
So are you saying you should balance once at the target? Won't that knock the mount out of sync? The suggestion seems to be that once your connected and starting your sequence to image you dont touch the mount?

Thanks again :-)

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 5:03:07 PM

Shailendra,

The east-heavy thing can easily become confusing, until you "become the RA axis".   :-)) 
Then , it's easy.   

<<
Balancing East-heavy is easy. Begin by balancing your mount evenly. Slew to your target. Then, simply stand in front of your mount’s RA axis, with your back to North, and your face to south. Make sure that the things on the left of the RA axis are heavier than the things on the right. That’s all there is to it. If the weights are on the left, move them down the weight bar by an inch or two. If they’re on the right, move them up.
Done.>>

Hey Bob,

Cheers
Chox

Pic attached of whats on it.

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Attachments:
  • processed.jpeg

--

Edited

Shailendra,

One thing at a time...  :-))

Camera-heavy, you can do indoors, with the mount parked.   Yes, it will balance off-center, thanks to that heavy DEC motor hanging off the side, just do the best you can.  That part is what it is.

As to east-heavy, just think about what I wrote and try it.  And if the east side becomes the west side, that would be from a meridian flip, and yes, you'd need to re-balance at that point. 

Bias East-heavy, when at the target?  Sure - it's a general method, independent of knowing your target's location in advance or how you're using the mount. 

I generally shoot the eastern sky, as the view is better and less light-polluted, so I'm usually calibrating PHD2 and imaging on the same side of the meridian.  My sequence goes something like this:
  • Check for even RA balance (DEC is already camera-heavy - that doesn't change)
  • Do camera checks, PA, heaters, etc.
  • Slew to my PHD2 calibration target.
  • Adjust weight balance
  • Calibrate PHD2
  • Slew to my imaging target
  • Plate-solve to center
  • Start guiding
  • Start imaging
So the weight adjustment when near the target doesn't mess up sync or imaging.  I haven't touched the locks, and the pointing to the target has not yet been refined and sync'd.

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020, at 12:16, Shailendra Sharma wrote:
Thanks Bob.

I'll try that but it sort of goes against all of the vids I've seen. They all say;

Stand behind mount. Turn ra axis 90 deg. Release dec axis balance dec so its camera heavy. Done.

What it diesnt tell you that if when the east side becomes the west side. Then what?
So are you saying you should balance once at the target? Won't that knock the mount out of sync? The suggestion seems to be that once your connected and starting your sequence to image you dont touch the mount?

Shailendra,

Then , it's easy.   

<<
Done.>>

Hey Bob,

Cheers
Chox

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Attachments:
  • processed.jpeg

--

--

Thanks Bob.

I have a few things to try. I have it balanced perfectly at the mo. Which is basically emulating how I had it before. Was very very slighly east heavy. Practically unnoticeable. And very slightly camera heavy. So when on the east it stays put. And on the west it stays put. 

I'm using tonight to test out the options. If not goodbye dew heaters and hello hairdryer! Hahaha

Thanks for the suggestions. It does make more sense now :-) 

Cheers
Chox 

Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 5:59:41 PM

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Re-worded for clarity, replaced "Balance once at the target" with "Bias East-heavy..."]

Shailendra,

Camera-heavy, you can do indoors, with the mount parked.   Yes, it will balance off-center, thanks to that heavy DEC motor hanging off the side, just do the best you can.  That part is what it is.

As to east-heavy, just think about what I wrote and try it.  And if the east side becomes the west side, that would be from a meridian flip, and yes, you'd need to re-balance at that point. 

Bias East-heavy, when at the target?  Sure - it's a general method, independent of knowing your target's location in advance or how you're using the mount. 

I generally shoot the eastern sky, as the view is better and less light-polluted, so I'm usually calibrating PHD2 and imaging on the same side of the meridian.  My sequence goes something like this:
  • Adjust weight balance
  • Calibrate PHD2
  • Plate-solve to center
  • Start guiding
  • Start imaging
So the weight adjustment when near the target doesn't mess up sync or imaging.  I haven't touched the locks, and the pointing to the target has not yet been refined and sync'd.

Thanks Bob.

Shailendra,

Then , it's easy.   

<<
Done.>>

Hey Bob,

Cheers
Chox

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Attachments:
  • processed.jpeg

--

--

Might be working again!!! :-) 

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>
Sent: Tuesday, 1 September 2020, 19:42
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io

Thanks Bob.

I have a few things to try. I have it balanced perfectly at the mo. Which is basically emulating how I had it before. Was very very slighly east heavy. Practically unnoticeable. And very slightly camera heavy. So when on the east it stays put. And on the west it stays put. 

I'm using tonight to test out the options. If not goodbye dew heaters and hello hairdryer! Hahaha

Cheers
Chox 

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: Re-worded for clarity, replaced "Balance once at the target" with "Bias East-heavy..."]

Shailendra,

• Adjust weight balance
  • Calibrate PHD2
  • Plate-solve to center
  • Start guiding
  • Start imaging

Thanks Bob.

Shailendra,

Then , it's easy.   

<<
Done.>>

Hey Bob,

Cheers
Chox

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--

Attachments:
  • processed.jpeg

--

--

Hey all.

So balance seems to be sorted. Images on screen looked fine. And ra and dec combined error was hitting 0.45 at some points.
But the final image. Or is it just me. This is stacked and a quick stretch seems like i have roration. Can anyone confirm? Image

Thanks
Chox

Mount: exos 2 gt pmc 8
Scopes; skywatcher 102t and svbony 50mm
Cameras; canon 600d and zwo asi 120 mc-s
Software; stellarium, NINA phd2.

From: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io <MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io> on behalf of Shailendra Sharma <sshailendrasharma@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 1, 2020 9:31:49 PM

Might be working again!!! :-) 

Sent: Tuesday, 1 September 2020, 19:42
To: MAIN@ESPMC-Eight.groups.io

Thanks Bob.

Cheers
Chox 

[Edited Message Follows]

Shailendra,

• Adjust weight balance
  • Calibrate PHD2
  • Plate-solve to center
  • Start guiding
  • Start imaging

Thanks Bob.

Shailendra,

Then , it's easy.   

<<
Done.>>

Hey Bob,

Cheers
Chox

Cheers
Chox 

Thanks Bob!

Shailendra,

- Bob

Morning guys,

Thanks
Chox

I say go for it.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell
Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--

--