Topics

Simple fix to stop PMC-Eight metal bracket from sliding on tripod leg

Vince White

I've generally been frustrated with the small metal PMC-Eight bracket, which is secured to the tripod leg by a velcro strap and will slowly slide down until hitting something.  In the past, I would just set the velcro above the tripod spreader, however, that places the PMC-Eight a touch high and can cause interference with my telescope during median flips.

Anyway, as an experiment, I tried applying a thin layer of kitchen silicone to the inside of the velcro strap.  After letting it dry, I found that it does an excellent job of sticking to the stainless tripod leg and preventing the velcro from sliding down the leg or even moving much at all!  This was an easy fix with some silicone that I already had laying around.  Now I have one less thing to fiddle with when setting up my astrophotography gear.

-Vince
--

Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2-GT
Scopes: BRESSER 208mm f/3.9 Newt + ES HR Coma Corrector, Celestron C90 Mak, generic 50/191mm guide scope
Cameras:  Canon 5DmkII, Canon EOSm, T7C (ZWO ASI120MC clone)
Misc: 2" Optolong UHC filter, Raspberry PI 4
Software: INDI + Kstars + EKOS, DeepSkyStacker, GIMP, Lightroom

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 09:17 PM, Vince White wrote:
I tried applying a thin layer of kitchen silicone to the inside of the velcro strap.
Hi Vince,  that is certainly some "out-of-the-box" thinking to solve a poor design choice on our part (It wasn't my idea, honest, I never liked that solution).
Good job coming up with an innovative solution working with what you have.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jay Stanley

Dr. Benway on Cloudynights makes a printed clamp/adapter for the EXOSII, I don't see one currently advertised but I got one several months ago and it was inexpensive and works awesome.
CS,
Jay

On 11/21/2019 9:03:32 PM, Vince White <vnwhite@...> wrote:

I've generally been frustrated with the small metal PMC-Eight bracket, which is secured to the tripod leg by a velcro strap and will slowly slide down until hitting something.  In the past, I would just set the velcro above the tripod spreader, however, that places the PMC-Eight a touch high and can cause interference with my telescope during median flips.

Anyway, as an experiment, I tried applying a thin layer of kitchen silicone to the inside of the velcro strap.  After letting it dry, I found that it does an excellent job of sticking to the stainless tripod leg and preventing the velcro from sliding down the leg or even moving much at all!  This was an easy fix with some silicone that I already had laying around.  Now I have one less thing to fiddle with when setting up my astrophotography gear.

-Vince
--

Scopes: BRESSER 208mm f/3.9 Newt + ES HR Coma Corrector, Celestron C90 Mak, generic 50/191mm guide scope

Mike Leemhuis

Hi Vince,

I believe the part attributed to Dr Benway is actually the part that I designed and he is printing and selling without my permission.  He has done this with several my parts.  Anyway, I'll attach a link below to the bracket that I designed to hold the PMC-eight box to the 2 inch diameter leg of the Exos-2.  You can have this printed online by several 3D print suppliers.  I think several are listed automatically when you download the part.  Hope this helps you and others.  It's a big improvement over the Velcro strap and aluminum block.

Thanks,
Mike Leemhuis

--
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2
Scope: Explore Scientific ED102CF
Camera: QHY163C
Filter: Optolong L-eNhance 2" for nebula pictures
Software: ASCOM, PHD2, CDC, Sharpcap Pro
Computer:  Dell desktop XPS
Extras:  Lots of 3D printed parts I designed to improve usability

buddyself@...

I ordered a 2" roll bar light clamp from Amazon then drilled and tapped the mount bar for a 1/4-20 bolt and secured it to the clamp. The clamp come with rubber inserts so the clamps fit snug on the tripod leg.  

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075QJGJ2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
--
Buddy Self
buddyself@...

Trafford, AL

Mounts:Explorer Scientific EXOS GT 2 With PMC Eight Controller,
Scope
: ES ED80CF APO
Guide Scope:
QHY 5 II Guide Camera and 30mm Guidescope
Cameras
:  ZWO ASI1600MM,  ZWO ASI187MM
Misc
: QHY Polemaster
Software: PHD2, APT, ASCOM, StellariumScope, Stellarium
, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Cybermonk

Same here. It is SUCH an improvement. You won't be disappointed.

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 10:11 PM Jay Stanley <jaystanley@...> wrote:
Dr. Benway on Cloudynights makes a printed clamp/adapter for the EXOSII, I don't see one currently advertised but I got one several months ago and it was inexpensive and works awesome.
CS,
Jay

On 11/21/2019 9:03:32 PM, Vince White <vnwhite@...> wrote:

-Vince
--

Buddy,

Yup - light bar / bull bar / etc. clamps rock.  Mine were off ebay,  in a somewhat different style, but same function.
They are ideal for securely clamping whatever you like on those 2" legs, and no slipping, with the rubber liner..   
Based my DIY spreader on them, and also built/attached an electronics board to carry my PMC8 and other electronica.   

- Bob

--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Jim McKee

2" Pipe clamp.  Very solid, very inexpensive. But I have a slot in the mount for the PMC-8.

--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   ZWO ASI 071MC Pro, Canon 6D Mk 2, Canon 7D2,  EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. NINA,  APT, DSS, PixInsight, Photoshop CC
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 03:23 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
2" Pipe clamp.  Very solid, very inexpensive. But I have a slot in the mount for the PMC-8.
Yes, I think overall the best solution.

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

eric.harant@...

Edited

Hello all,
I've done severall attempt to solve this issue.
My last one is to use a Bresser JM-33 2" Pipe Clamp Clamp (12 €), some plastic, a ISA plate (see pict), nuts&bolts.

Some pictures in attachement.
It is solid as a rock, easy to install, move and remove.

Best regards

--
Eric
Nargis (45) France.

57 years old, Computer science engineer.
Some skills in sofware development (Windows / Unix)
Canon EOS 10D, 40D, 600D 1300D, EOS-R. + several lenses.
ToupTek IMX 294 cooled camera.
ZWO ASI120MM
BRESSER Messier AR-102xs/460, Bresser Messier AR-152S/760
Orion 80ED.
MAK INTES 713.
Meade LX200 GPS 10"
Old Losmandy G11.
SvBony 60mm x 240mm guide scope.