Topics

ST2 and ST3 Tripods Now Available for iEXOS 100 users #ExploreScientific #iexos-100

NOW AVAILABLE!!  ST2 and ST3 Tripods and the Precision Azimuth Adjuster for the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight Mount !!
Additional counter-weights are also available for the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount as needed.

You can find this equipment on our website at the following links:

iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight Precision Azimuth Adjuster
https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/pmc-eight/products/iexos100-azimuth-adjuster-adapter

iEXOS 100 1 kg (2.2 lb.) Counterweight
https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/mount-accessories/products/iexos-100-2-2-pound-counterweight-1kg-2-2lb-es-cw22-00

Medium Duty ST2 Tripod - White
https://www.explorescientific.com/products/st2-white-mount

Heavy Duty ST3 Tripod - Black
https://explorescientificusa.com/collections/twilight-ii/products/st3-black-mount

Heavy Duty ST3 Tripod - White
https://explorescientificusa.com/products/st3-white-mount

I expect that the weight limit for astrophotography will now be bumped up when using the larger tripod and azimuth adjuster. You should be able to load about 15 lbs. of equipment on the iEXOS 100 (when using the extra counterweight) for astrophotography. Some of you are  already at that limit with the current tripod shipped with the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount.

Please let me know if you have any comments or questions.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Howdy,

I understand the company has to make a profit, but it is better to sell the iEXOS-100 and buy a IEXOS-2GT/ PMC8.

Option 1

iEXOS-100

$359.99

Azimuth adapter

$99.00

ST2 Tripod

$149.00

Total Investment

$607.99

Option 2

iEXOS-100

$359.99

Azimuth adapter

$99.00

ST3 Tripod

$249.00

Total Investment

$707.99

Option 3

iEXOS-2GT/PMC8/ Polar scope

$799.00

Azimuth adapter

N/A

ST3 Tripod

N/A

Total Investment

$799.00

JR

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Taro

Edited

Yes JR

I asked to ES support by chat
And got same answer. And No any set deal.
.
I think same as you.
Too much

--
Living in  Pattaya Thailand
Scope: Celestron 6SE,WO Z61,SVBONY SV48

I understand the questions about the pricing, but I have thought about what you can probably reasonably expect in terms of equipment capacity and price and I really don't think it is out of line with what you should expect to pay. I have created a table of configurations and a chart of price per capacity based on different configurations.

DISCLAIMER: This is only my initial thinking based on the capacity testing we have done on the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight mount and also customer experiences as reported here on the forum.
These numbers are preliminary and could significantly change in the future.

As you can see, The price point for each configuration and weight capacity increases linearly once you are past the entry level mount system as shipped today. Note, the highest price point is for the EXOS 2 configuration. There are significant improvements in the iEXOS line of mounts versus the original EXOS mounts which are significant benefits including 1) built in USB, 2) internal PMC-Eight controller, 3) internal cable for RA axis, 4) Same motor drive system as in EXOS 2 mount providing extra margin in terms of torque and in handling the higher loads. Finally 5) Being able to use the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight in its most lightweight mode with the ST1 tripod provides an excellent "Grab and Go" mount system. This is an increasing requirement for a lot of our customers.

Also, even though the EXOS 2 mount comes with a polar scope to do polar alignments, most astrophotographers prefer not to use that and end up purchasing or using their camera systems to perform a polar alignment.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE AND COMMENTS ON THIS.
Again, this is a preliminary look at projected weight capacity for the iEXOS 100.

Thanks!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Here is an additional analysis which adds more counterweights into the mix as compared to the first table and chart I created.

Let me know which scenarios make the most sense in terms of usability and flexibility.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 08:39 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
Let me know which scenarios make the most sense in terms of usability and flexibility.
I have attached the spreadsheet I used to create this information for you to play with as you like.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Harry

Hi Jerry,
Now that adequate tripods and the adapter are available, any thoughts of issuing some kind of credit for
those of us who have the original 100 tripod, and purchase an ST2 or ST3? Either a credit or “discount “, for
those of us who are registered 100 owners,  or a credit if we return the original tripod?
Thanks for your consideration.
Harry
--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Patrick Maher

The pricing seems reasonable to me so I have no complaints there.  The purpose of the iEXOS-100 was to provide a high quality mount that is lightweight and portable.  The iEXOS-100 in its original configuration is indeed high quality, lightweight and very portable at a very good price.

For those of us who already own the EXOS-2, this adapter plate makes it easy to use the heavier tripod if we so desire.  I would never use this heavier tripod for portability or to be lightweight because then you lose the designed purpose of the iEXOS-100.  It is nice to have the adaptability though and the option to mix and match some of Explore Scientific's products.

The fact is, if you want lightweight and portable, the way to go is the iEXOS-100 package as is sold.  That is what you are purchasing.  As if that is not enough to provide to customers, now customers have the option to increase the load capacity at the cost of mount weight and portability.  And, Explore Scientific actually offers more than one option to accomplish this!

Even if you purchase the base package lightweight mount of other manufacturers, there are also add-ons to purchase and the cost can equal or exceed the costs we were seeing here at Explore Scientific and, to be honest, the iEXOS-100 is a more useful package at a competitive price in any of the configurations available today.

Additionally, the new customers of the iEXOS-100 have been asking for options such as these for months and Explore Scientific has made these new products available to us.  You can't ask for more than that.  Try succeeding at that with other manufacturers of astronomy gear.

Thanks for all the hard work and for listening to your customer base, Jerry.  I certainly appreciate it.

Patrick

--
Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 and EXOS-2GT (non-PMC)
Explore Scientific ED 102mm Refractor

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 09:18 AM, Harry wrote:
Either a credit or “discount “, for
those of us who are registered 100 owners,  or a credit if we return the original tripod?
Hi Harry,

We did discuss your suggestion, but we don't have a way to reprocess the returned tripods even if we were to give you a credit for it. So we are not currently providing any consideration for the original tripod. The iEXOS 100 mount system is packaged at our plant in China and we have no effective way of substituting the larger tripods in place of the original tripod either at a different price point. I can't imagine us even giving you a good return on your returned tripod due to our cost of handling and repurposing the ST1 tripods.

What I can do is request that Customer Service maybe provide a discount code for your next purchase with Explore Scientific, perhaps 5% or even 10% off for the first 25 people that order a tripod and azimuth adjustment adapter.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 08:39 AM, Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering wrote:
Here is an additional analysis which adds more counterweights into the mix as compared to the first table and chart I created.
I added the incremental cost to upgrade and the incremental capacity for the upgrade also to the table

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Wanted to weigh in on the new ST3 etc.

Those who bought a lightweight, low end mount because it was lightweight and low end got a fine instrument.  The various posted astrophotographs and guiding results show this.  Those who purchased the heavier EXOS-2 also got a fine instrument with a heavier payload and of course less portability.

With the introduction of the new equipment options those with the iEXOS now have a means for growing their mount with their own personal growth or change in interests.   If I had an iEXOS here is how I would look at it:

1.  I have a light weight, grab and go. If I add guiding I have a lightweight astrophotography rig which can carry useful scope payloads

2.  If I invest $400 more I have almost as much payload as if I bought an EXOS2.  I have a total investment about the same as an EXOS2.  Yet I have now a heavy mount capable of great astrophotos with a largish payload, and I have a lightweight grab and go which can also be used for astrophotos.

It is the best of both worlds for the same price as an EXOS2.  Sounds like a deal to me.

Those of you who have an iEXOS and just want to get those extra few pounds of payload should probably sell your iEXOS.  I expect they would return most of the original purchase price.  The difference of $50-$100 is a cheap date -- consider it college tuition as you used the iEXOS to learn about the hobby and also about where your interests were.  That's about 10 super macchiatos at Starbucks coffee.  HaHa.

In summary:  All in all I believe the offering provides a really nice upgrade path that gets you a mount that is configurable in either a lightweight mode for grab and go applications, or a heavier scope for use with heavier payloads.  And these come at the same aggregate cost as the other alternative, the iEXOS big brother the EXOS2.

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Taro

Jerry SAN
Thank you for answer to us.

I understand your explain.

But my point of view is not load capacity.
I (maybe not only me . many iEXOS-100 users) need only more useful azimuth adjuster.

As Wes said that when I decided to buy this mount, I accept it load capacity and very light system wedge.

You and your staff fixed load capacity issue very speedy for user.
I pay respect this .

And I want you think one more point about adjustment operation.

This is just my hoping.

All the best!!

--

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 12:56 PM, Taro wrote:
But my point of view is not load capacity.
I (maybe not only me . many iEXOS-100 users) need only more useful azimuth adjuster.

Hi Taro,

I understand. I agree that it would be good to have an azimuth adjuster that would fit the original ST1 tripod. I think the decision to create the azimuth adjustment adapter to fit the ST2 and ST3 tripods was, as you said, to offer a possible mount capacity increase along with the precision azimuth adjustment. Initially offering the azimuth adjustment adapter for the ST1 tripod would not have been as useful to the most customers. Bob Hoskins actually has suggested that we look into creating an interface adapter to go between the ST1 tripod and the azimuth adjustment adapter so that you could put it on the ST1 tripod as you want. I will discuss this next week with our team  and see what we may be able to do in that regard. Bob also suggested that maybe a 3D printed version could be designed and made available. Mike Leemhuis is the man to do this work.

Thanks

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Taro

Hi Jerry San

Thank you for understanding.
I am looking forward New adjustment adapter.

Thank you again for giving us your weekend time.

I love ES.

All the best.

--

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 01:23 PM, Taro wrote:
Thank you again for giving us your weekend time.
No problem, it's the nature of the beast since most of our customers do a lot of their observing on the weekends as long as the weather cooperates. I am pretty much a night owl myself so I work late into the wee hours sometimes doing work and also my own observing. Some customers send out messages late into the night so I am able to respond then also.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Howdy,

I am a new customer and I have not asked for these options.  I was never concerned about the stability and/ or lack thereof of the mount;  I only wanted a polar scope after learning the peephole was not working for me.  I was under the impression that ES was working on a polar scope attachment for the iEXOS-100 and it was in the testing phase.   I have decided I will experiment with using my DSLR as a polar scope for my initial alignment with Sharpcap or some other available software.

Some may be curious as to why I just did not pick up the iEXOS-2GT/ PMC8 to begin with?  Quite simple, I speak only for myself,  too many cables, an unattractive rectangular box, and having to use either a windows’ based computer or tablet.  I prefer  Android, but I am willing to make an exception for the JR SharpCap Pro project.

I can only speak for myself.  It is my understanding, the best portable setup going around as of today which satisfies my requirements is the iOptron iPolar  system which retails anywhere from $530.00 to $600.00 dollars.  Before I would invest $349.00 dollars on upgrades for the iEXOS-100, I would definitely buy the iOptron iPolar setup.   I as a consumer and/or end user has a choice, if I don’t like something, I cash out and call it a day.

I have no plans on selling the iEXOS-100 until I can fully operate it and get over 4-minute subs without a guide scope.  I watched Trevor’s video using the iPolar iOptron and that is my baseline.  As far as I am concerned, the iEXOS-100 is beefier, offers more features, and should run circles around the iPolar iOptron super portable setup, because it lacks Goto functionality and automatic meridian flips.

JR

[...]

Hi JR,

We do have a Polar Alignment scope developed for  the iEXOS 100. We showed it at the NEAF 2019 show (Suffern, NY) in April. I will check to see what the status of this product is and when can we expect to receive them.

Thanks for your continued interest in our products.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

I created a “setup specific” worksheet several months back when adding/ subtracting gear.  Even though I have 4-counterweights, I don’t see a need for the 4th.

When viewing payloads, I watched Scott’s video from ES with Alex.  They decided to experiment with how far they could push the mount, which they stopped around 84.5 pounds.

https://www.facebook.com/ExploreScientificUSA/videos/2411231452439818/

iEXOS-2GT/ PMC 8

Equipment load:  28-pounds

Visual load:  40-pounds

Scott’s Test iEXOS-2GT/ PMC 8

Equipment load:  not specified

Visual load:  84.5-pounds

iEXOS-100 mount.

Equipment load: 15-pounds

Visual load:  19-pounds

JR’s guess work iEXOS-100 mount.

Equipment load: don’t have enough information regarding the tripod to develop an opinion.

Visual load:  don’t have enough information regarding the tripod to develop an opinion.

JR

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes
: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras
:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc
: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,

Software
: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Hello Sir,

Pretty cool.  I am looking forward to its arrival.  As of yet, I have not gotten into attending events.  But it is on my schedule.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 09:24 PM, jrichard333 <jrichard333@...> wrote:
Pretty cool.  I am looking forward to its arrival.
Here is a peek at what the polar alignment scope for the iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight looks like.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data