Topics

Step by Step

Jay Stanley

Greetings all,
So many very nice members have assisted me on my New to Guiding post that I though I would ask for some additional help.
I need a step by step guide to using the PMC8 Configuration Manager to use the mount is serial mode.
Do I connect via wifi first, then launch the PMC8CM, any twists or turns in doing so?
Once connected do I then launch CdC or are there additional steps to be taken?
Again, remember you are talking to a professional ID10T manager :)
CS,
Jay

Wes Mcdonald

Jay:

Connection of the mount to serial cable is best thought of as a standalone operation, independent of CdC or anything else.  It sets the mode of communication between ASCOM apps on the PC and the PMC8.  So let's get that setup first.

1.  With PMC8 off, boot the PMC8.  Connect your laptop to the PMC8 wifi.
2.  Go ahead and connect your serial wire to the mount and the PC.
3.  Boot the Configuration Manager on your PC.
4.  It opens up too small, drag a corner and make it bigger.
5.  Look at the bottom f the CM screen -- you should see a red and a green indicator down there, one showing the PMC8 network is connected via wifi (green) and one saying the current connection method is Unknown (red).
6.  Click the Connection tab to go to the screen to connect.  Make sure the window size bar is low enough that you can see the two buttons on the right side under the drop boxes that say Find and Refresh.  These are immediately under the Comm port drop box.
7.  We. have to make a few settings changes to the setting on the Connection Tab.  You will have to make these changes each time you boot the CM in the future.
    a.  Use the top right drop down box to select the EXOS2 as your mount.
    b.  Use the Refresh button to get all the comm ports loaded into the drop box.  Then press the Find button to find the Comm port to which the PMC8 is connected.  You may already know this and if so you can just try to drop down the box and pick the right port.  If it isn't there, use the find button.
   c.  Now look at the right side of the window where there are  four stacked buttons under a heading of "How do you want to connect".  The top button is the Find current connection button.  Press it.  The app will tell you how it is connected.  At that moment, the two indicators at the bottom of the window will both be green, with the one on the left indicating how you are connected.
8.  Ok, so now the CM is communicating with the PMC8.  Use the right hand button "Via ASCOM" to switch to serial mode.  You will see a message in the log window that the mount was switched to serial.  Also the two green indicators now will reflect that you are in serial mode.

That's all there is to it.  The PMC8 will stay in serial mode from now on, until you go back into the CM and change it.

Hope that helps.  At his point you can load all the ASCOM stuff you want, or CdC directly I believe.  You just have to configure the ESmount driver to the correct communication mode, the correct comm port, and the correct site location.  Then you will be on your way.  Suggest you use POTH etc.  You can find lots of stuff on ASCOM setup as well as CdC on the web.  Probably also in posts on the forum.

Wes.

.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jay Stanley

Wes,

Thank you very much. I have one of the first EXOSII mounts so I know the firmware needs upgraded. Also once I get the scope moving with Cdc I'll see about setting up guiding :)
Again, I thank you and appreciate your time!
CS,
Jay

On 1/8/2020 6:27:58 PM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin