Struggling with firmware update #FIRMWARE


Terry
 

Hi folks
I thought I'd finally have a go at updating my EXOS II to the latest firmware but now I'm struggling
At the same time I wanted to install the software onto a different laptop

I followed the instructions in the PDF file with the firmware installation kit (PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-08-08)
It seemed to update the firmware, I got the success message in the config tool
I went on to install Ascom 6.5 with POTH and tried to use POTH to slew the scope but nothing happened (Unparked and set to track first of course)
I installed the Explorestars app and data but on launching it just say's "Please Wait"

Certainly I've done something wrong but can't figure out what?

Thanks
Terry
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
Vixen VMC-110L


Frank Rich
 

Good Morning Terry

Have you loaded the updated ASCOM drivers from the Firmware update kit?
I would further suggest on YOUTUBE go the Explore Scientific channel.  Episode #171 Jerry Hubbell does a clear and precise step through of the update process

Good Luck
Frank Rich


James Furniss
 

As for the please wait in explorestars , I had the same problem after deleting g and installing it three times. To fix my problem I went through the program few to the app then through the advanced section and reset the app , then reboot it...


On Tue., Oct. 12, 2021, 6:56 a.m. TeeJayBee, <vdsr.tb@...> wrote:

Hi folks
I thought I'd finally have a go at updating my EXOS II to the latest firmware but now I'm struggling
At the same time I wanted to install the software onto a different laptop

I followed the instructions in the PDF file with the firmware installation kit (PMC-Eight 20A01 Firmware Installation Kit 2021-08-08)
It seemed to update the firmware, I got the success message in the config tool
I went on to install Ascom 6.5 with POTH and tried to use POTH to slew the scope but nothing happened (Unparked and set to track first of course)
I installed the Explorestars app and data but on launching it just say's "Please Wait"

Certainly I've done something wrong but can't figure out what?

Thanks
Terry
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
Vixen VMC-110L


Terry
 

Thanks
Yes I had installed the Ascom drivers from the update kit, a nice clean install as this machine has not had Ascom installed previously, so it's a fresh install of Ascom 6.5 with POTH and then the pmc-eight drivers

It's doing my head in now, I going to try different usb ports next
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
Vixen VMC-110L


Terry
 

I'll try a re-install then
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
Vixen VMC-110L


Terry
 


--Re-installing Explorestars hasn't helped but at least I can use it on my android tablet if I just want observation or unguided short exposure imaging
My big problem now is POTH motion controls, N.E.S.W. work fine but the stop button in the middle of them doesn't do anything, that's going to make it useless for alignment on targets to sync

Any ideas folks?


EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
Vixen VMC-110L


Terry
 

Still haven't managed to get POTH motion controls to work fully, the stop button does nothing so the only way to prevent the mount from continuously moving is to hit the park button, obviously that's not going to be practical
I have uninstalled and re-installed the PMC8 drivers as well as Ascom
The Ascom device hub seems to work fine but I'm led to believe there are problems using that with the PMC-eight mounts?

Failing that I have to assume there's some kind of issue with my laptop, I wish the set up was much simpler, it's enough to wrap my head around astro imaging when everything is simple without all the extra brain strain from functionality problems

I'm getting to the point where I just want to sell it all and give up now and just go back to a simple AZ-GTi with DSLR/Mirrorless se up, so much easier with Sky-Watcher's wireless arrangement
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


Andreas Volz
 

"Still haven't managed to get POTH motion controls to work fully, the stop button does nothing."

Same for me. When slewing manually the mount won't stop via Poth Controller.


Terry <vdsr.tb@...> schrieb am Mi., 13. Okt. 2021, 10:43:

Still haven't managed to get POTH motion controls to work fully, the stop button does nothing so the only way to prevent the mount from continuously moving is to hit the park button, obviously that's not going to be practical
I have uninstalled and re-installed the PMC8 drivers as well as Ascom
The Ascom device hub seems to work fine but I'm led to believe there are problems using that with the PMC-eight mounts?

Failing that I have to assume there's some kind of issue with my laptop, I wish the set up was much simpler, it's enough to wrap my head around astro imaging when everything is simple without all the extra brain strain from functionality problems

I'm getting to the point where I just want to sell it all and give up now and just go back to a simple AZ-GTi with DSLR/Mirrorless se up, so much easier with Sky-Watcher's wireless arrangement
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


--
Clear skies,

Andy

Mount: ES PMC-8 EXOS2, ioptron SkyGuider Pro
Scope: SkyWatcher Explorer 150/750 PDS
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 7D Mk2
Guiding: ZWO ASI120Mini mono, ZWO 30F4 Guidescope, PHD2
Msc: TS Optics Coma Reducer Corrector 0.95x
Software: N.I.N.A, APT, Pixinsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop


Terry
 

Sorry to hear that Andreas, if I find a solution I'll post it here, I have changed everything over to use Device Hub instead of POTH, hopefully it will work but reports from more experienced users suggest that it won't
Failing a solution I'll have a virtually new 200 PDS for sale, used once only,  I'll go back to a simpler/smaller set up AZ-GTi, ASIair pro and mirrorless camera with manual lenses
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


Wes Mcdonald
 

TJB

Can’t say what’s up with poth but the ascom hub is fine to use.   


Please wait means the pc is not communicating to the pmc8.  Connect the pc to the pmc8 and the use the cmd.exe, enter ipconfig, and see if the pc up address is 192.168.47.11.   If it is not then the WiFi connection is your issue

Wes



--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


Wes Mcdonald
 

Can’t say why poth won’t stop but the hub works fine.   There was an issue long ago but that is corrected now

I would suggest that the arrow keys on poth are not what you should use for centering objects anyhow.  There are alternatives.  One is to use your tablet running Explorestars as the Left right up down arrows.   Simply join the WiFi network with the tablet while the pc is connected via serial. 

If you are using ascom over WiFi then you cannot use Explorestars.  But if you are using ascom the. You should find an application that has LRDU buttons .  One option is to load NINA.  While it might not be what you want to use to manage your session (but it is fabulous) it has under its telescope section a dandy LRDU button.  It does however run the mount at 2.5 degrees per second so that is sort of fast. 

You might load ascompad which is a free app to provide a keypad.  

While the arrow keys on poth are useful for some things (maybe) Anything is better in my view.

Wes


--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


Jennifer Shelly
 

Terry:

Have you changed the slew rate to 2.5 in POTH before attempting to use the directional buttons?  If you did not that could explain why the mount is not moving.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2, ES PMC-8 iEXOS-100
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, Askar FRA400, Askar FRA600, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C, QHY183M
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance / L-Extreme, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD, Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso 2, QHY CFW3-S, Optolong 1.25” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro
Processing Software: PixInsight, Lightroom, Premiere Elements


Terry
 

Thanks Wes, I wonder why others are ecommending not to use the Ascom Device Hub?, it's always suggested to use POTH instead, so you're saying that Device Hub will work perfectly well for imaging, guiding etc as well as observation of course?
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


Terry
 

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 02:30 PM, Jennifer Shelly wrote:
Terry:

Have you changed the slew rate to 2.5 in POTH before attempting to use the directional buttons?  If you did not that could explain why the mount is not moving.

Hi Jennifer, yes I had changed the slew rates but it wasn't that it was not moving, it was rather that it wouldn't stop moving when clicking the stop button
 
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


Steve Siedentop
 

I think most of the resistance is because Device Hub is a big change which introduces risk.  It is quite a bit different than POTH.  Clunky in my opinion and I don’t find the UI intuitive, but it works for imaging or observing. 

-Steve

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:14 PM Terry <vdsr.tb@...> wrote:
Thanks Wes, I wonder why others are ecommending not to use the Ascom Device Hub?, it's always suggested to use POTH instead, so you're saying that Device Hub will work perfectly well for imaging, guiding etc as well as observation of course?
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 G11 with Ruland Couplers and One Piece Worm Blocks, Skywatcher NEQ-6
Scopes: ES ED127CF FCD100, Orion 6” Mak, Stellarvue SV80EDT, Coronado Solarmax 40
Cameras:  CentralDS CDS-600, CentralDS Astro 60D, Orion Starshoot SSAG
Msc: Moonlite Focusers, Astrozap Dew Straps, Pegasus Ultimate PowerBox
Software: PixInsight, Cartes du Ciel, BackyardEOS, SkySafari


Terry
 

Thanks Steve, as I only used POTH to nudge the scope into alignment before hitting "Sync" in Stellarium I think it will work fine for me
--
EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Watchdog Disabled
Fujifilm X-T2
Sky-Watcher 200 PDS


Wes Mcdonald
 

TJB

Hub does.   Heck Jerry has used it all along.   I also have tested it and use it during development of firmware changes.  

It has a slower inquiry rate to the mount for position than Poth has.  This used to flub the watchdog time out in the firmware which would stop the mount from tracking.  The new firmware addresses this in two ways, one by increasing the watchdog time out significantly, and the second by allowing you configure the mount to continue tracking in the face of lost comms, obviating and concern for what the query rate is for an app.   

Anyhow it seems fine now.  I would interested in hearing if others are using the hub with the 20A01.1  code version and what their experience is.

Wes


--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


 

Wes

  I was using Poth under ASCOM 6.4 until two week ago. In updating all my Software accept ASCOM, Poth stop button stopped working. I would push direction button in CDC it would just go for every and not stop. Sharpcap, Apt, and Phd2 mount controls all seem to work fine Phd3 wouldn't always display stars after using Sharpcap. I then updated to ASCOM6.5 sp1 and same thing with Poth. I just changed it over to Device HUB and everything seem to be working as before all the updates when testing indoors do to clouds. The next couple night looking good so will have a chance to try it under the stars.

Micheal

IExos-100 and EXOS 2GT both running PMC-Eight version 20A01.1
Svbony 503 80MM f7 w/ Orion 0.8 field flattener
Celestron 150mm C6n f7 w/motor focuser w/ FCUSB Motor Controller
Cameras Canon T7, ZWO 224, ZWO 120mm ,ZWO 120 MC
Svbony 50 mm guide scope on 80mm Scope
Svbony 60 mm guide Scope on 150 mm Scope
On order DewBuster controller
ASCOM 6.5 with Poth. Cartes Du Ciel for mount control, SharpCap for
Polar alignment and planetary photos
Astro Photography Tool, platesolve2, PHD2 for guiding, and Stellarium
for object framing only.

On 10/16/2021 9:18 AM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
TJB

Hub does.   Heck Jerry has used it all along.   I also have tested it and use it during development of firmware changes.  

It has a slower inquiry rate to the mount for position than Poth has.  This used to flub the watchdog time out in the firmware which would stop the mount from tracking.  The new firmware addresses this in two ways, one by increasing the watchdog time out significantly, and the second by allowing you configure the mount to continue tracking in the face of lost comms, obviating and concern for what the query rate is for an app.   

Anyhow it seems fine now.  I would interested in hearing if others are using the hub with the 20A01.1  code version and what their experience is.

Wes


--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired


Wes Mcdonald
 

Michael

Ok that’s great.  Others have also reported the stop button on the poth does not work.   I keep meaning to look into it  it somehow always do something else🥴

So I think you told us the hub stop button works.   

Ok thanks.  I’ll try to see why poth isn’t stopping, but if it isn’t sending a date command there isn’t anything that we can do about it.  I wonder what would have changed between ascom versions?

Wes




--
Wes, Southport NC
EXos2-GT PMC-8, iExos 100, ESG11
ES ED 127+MoonLite Focuser, 10" LX200GPS+ MoonLite focuser+wedge, Astro-Tech 8" Newt, ETX-90, 60mm no-name guide scope ~ 260mm FL
Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG, ZWO 290MM, D5300 astro modified, ASI071 cooled OSC, ASI MM290 guide camera
Nina, Bootcamped Mac Mini control computer, RDP to iMAC
110 amp hour lead acid deep discharge battery for field power
Electrical Engineer, Retired