Topics

Subject headings

David Pickett

Dear Friends,

I am pleased to be a member of this group and look forward to learning a lot from others, but I have a request.

This is a gentle request for those starting a new topic to choose a subject heading as relevant as possible.

The reason why I make this point is that it will make it much easier for others to search for information in the future.

Some recent subject headings which are not very informative have been:

-- New PMC-8 problem [actually a problem concerning a slipping EXOS-2 transmission belt, not PMC-8 itself.]

-- New Year new ES G11 problems [actually a problem with the PMC-8 guiding input, not G11]

Many thanks for taking care in future of the wording of the title of the thread. I encourage you all to post more often.

Clear skies!

David

hubbell_jerry@...

Thanks David for that reminder, I know that in the rush to post something we come up with an initial title and then get into other things in the message and don't  update the title. I have done that. Also, it would be good to update the title if you are responding to a previous message as the response may have nothing to do with the original message title.

Thanks

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

CYRIL BONNETT

The supplier of the PMC_8, Explore Scientific, supplies modified EXOS-2 and Losmandy mounts with the pmc-8 unit they go together, a package and modified to the extent that only the manufacturers of the system can answer.

If I had a EXOS-2 mount unmodified I would have posted in another forum.

These systems are, where I live,  as rare as hens teeth and getting answers is as hard as pulling one of those teeth.

“better to speak to the dip stick than the oil rag”

At 20:08 15-01-18, 'Cyril Bonnett' cyril.bonnett@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

The supplier of the PMC_8, Explore Scientific, supplies modified EXOS-2 and Losmandy mounts with the pmc-8 unit they go together, a package and modified to the extent that only the manufacturers of the system can answer.
Not so: some modifications are fairly apparent. The mounts are standard Losmandy, or EXOS, except that they have been fitted with different motors. These motors are driven by the PMC-8, so there is a certain amount of interaction; but when a belt comes loose on the EXOS, it is an EXOS mechanical problem and not a PMC-8 electrical problem. (An exception to this would be if your PMC-8 had accelerated the motor to the extent that the belt fell off; but you would know about this!)

If I had a EXOS-2 mount unmodified I would have posted in another forum.
Indeed, but actually that other forum might have been able to diagnose the problem you had. I personally ask questions about my G-11 not here, but in the Losmandy forum, and receive useful answers there. It is not that your problem was irrelevant to this group, but simply that those with the EXOS variant are a subset of the group, and had it been described as EXOS rather than PMC-8, it would attract their attention better. (I am thinking here of someone in the future who receives a motor/belt with the same problem as yours, and he or she will be looking for some hint of that in the title.)

These systems are, where I live, as rare as hens teeth and getting answers is as hard as pulling one of those teeth.
For all I know, I may be the only person in the whole of Austria that has one, though I believe there are a very small number of Losmandy/Gemini mounts here; but my point is that posting in a thread described as PMC-8 implies that it affects PMC-8, which involves electronics, whereas in fact, your thread was about a mechanical problem with EXOS-2 and therefore irrelevant (even possibly incomprehensible) to someone who has a G-11. As the PMC-8 system gains users, which I hope it will, there will be more people posting here (and maybe there will be a larger variety of mounts involved than there are at present), and there will be greater need to distinguish between archived threads that are directly relevant and those one can safely ignore.

David

CYRIL BONNETT

The name of the group says it all ESPMC-Eight

Explore Science sell two mounts and their PMC-8 as packages, a bit like car manufactures sell cars as complete packages. Do you take your car bake to the oil supplier? Or do you take it back to the manufacturer.

If in the future I need some information about the supplied mount or the PMC-8 system then I will contact ES.

In fact I my supplier sent me information that Explore Science gave them on the belt tensioning procedure. The problem was, it turns out was how Explore Science have modified the mount. Having a adjustment that relies on one central bolt to hold the stepper motor and tension the belt is totally different from the EXOS- 2 adjustment for the gear driven mount and leads a lot to be desired from those who modified the mount. I hope that the modifications by the suppliers of the PMC-8 to your costly Losmandy mount are of better design than that of mount I have.

The four dome headed socket screws that hold the lower half of the plastic cover on came into contact with the mount which stopped the stepper motor being tightened by the one central bolt in doing so it allowed the motor to turn enough to slacken the drive belt! enough for it to jump on the drive cog when the Telescope was being slewed to an object.

No amount of tightening the bolt would have cured it, in fact it would have stripped the threads in the casting. A simple cure, eventually was to file the head of the bolts flat.

If ES are going to have mounts modified and SELL them then they need to up their quality control, let’s hope that the PMC-8 itself is put together better.