Topics

Suggestion for files area of forum #ExploreScientific #EXOS2

Mike Leemhuis

So last night I decided to load the software needed to run my PMC-eight Exos 2 on my wife's laptop computer.  I had loaded the programs a year or more ago but wanted to update to the latest level software and drivers.  I went to the files section of the ES PMC-eight forum and looked for the latest driver.  I sorted the files by clicking on the last column so that they would be sorted by date and the most recent would be on top.  It was then that I noticed that the dates used are of several different formats (ie: Feb 1, 02/23/18...).  I'll include a screenshot below.  This makes sorting useless.   I would suggest to use one format for the date so that a sort works properly.  That way a user won't have to read through all the titles to try to find the latest software and possibly get the wrong one.  I would suggest [YY/MM/DD]. 

Mike

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

Edited

Hi Mike,

I think the Groups.io does this and is out of our hands when we upload and display files. If you notice, anything that is the current year has the month and day spelled out.
Kind of a  pain as you say!

I do not have plans to upload the latest versions of our Software, or Firmware here any more.
The only "OFFICIAL" source for these files is the Explore Scientific website here:
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system

I think I will go ahead and remove the old versions that are in the Files section. I will wait for comments on this to see if anyone objects.
I may set a drop dead date to download these files before I delete them if anyone wants them for some reason.
--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Mike Leemhuis

That's rather sad that groups.io won't date the files properly.  But you're right, removing the old files would probably be a good thing or at least tuck them away in a archives folder somewhere.  Having the latest official files on the ES website is a great idea.

Thanks,
Mike

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:22 AM Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering <jrh@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Mike,

I think the Groups.io does this and is out of our hands when we upload and display files. If you notice, anything that is the current year has the month and day spelled out.
Kind of a  pain as you say!

I do not have plans to upload the latest versions of our Software, or Firmware here any more.
The only "OFFICIAL" source for these files is the Explore Scientific website here:
https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/software-and-downloads-for-pmc-eight-system

I think I will go ahead and remove the old versions that are in the Files section. I will wait for comments on this to see if anyone objects.
I may set a drop dead date to download these files before I delete them if anyone wants them for some reason.
--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Wilderness, VA
Mounts

--
Mount: Explore Scientific Exos-2
Scope: Explore Scientific ED102CF
Camera: QHY163C
Filter: Optolong L-eNhance 2" for nebula pictures
Software: ASCOM, PHD2, CDC, Sharpcap Pro
Computer:  Dell desktop XPS
Extras:  Lots of 3D printed parts I designed to improve usability

Jerry,

FWIW, I agree that the ES downloads page is the right place for your latest-believed-good sw distributions, but I think you should have a generation or two behind, available in case there's a need for fallback, or to get around some platform compatibility hump that comes up later. 

What you often see on vender sites is an 'older versions' link, with those a level down from the current one, to avoid confusion.

HTH...

- Bob 
--
Mounts: ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: SV 102EDT, ZWO 60/280 Guide
Cameras:  Nikon D5300, Altair GPCAM2-IMX224C
Software: ASCOM, CdC, AstroTortilla, BYN Pro, Sharpcap, PHD2
Computer:  Thinkpad x230, Win7Pro/64

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 11:39 AM, Robert Hoskin wrote:
What you often see on vender sites is an 'older versions' link, with those a level down from the current one, to avoid confusion.
Hi Bob,

Yes, you are correct, in fact I did this with the Firmware files on the download page. I will put the previous version link on there also clearly labeled.

Thanks

--
Jerry Hubbell

Explore Scientific, LLC.

1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Wilderness, VA
Mounts