Topics

Tablets, etc

Dan Ward

Jerry,

My PMC-eight works fine with my laptop, but it is an older, heavy professional model.  I would like to move to a tablet (or android) device.  Have you seen anything that handled the software well that was still economical?

Dan

On Oct 13, 2017, at 11:28 AM, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] <ESPMC-Eight@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,  thanks for your decision to buy a PMC-Eight system. I looked at the adapter you have specified on this webpage:  https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/Serial-Cards-Adapters/1-Port-USB-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Cable~ICUSB2321F and it should do the trick. The chip it is using is the pretty much the same one in the adapter I use from Parallax: https://www.parallax.com/product/28031.

It's interesting that the one you pickedhttps://www.parallax.com/product/28031.says in the spec that the baud rate is limited as you said to 115200.. I expect that if it uses the generic FTDI driver, you can set the baud rate higher, but as you suspect, it might not be reliable That is not the case with the Parallax adapter. Also the one you picked on the webpage I found is $10 more. You didn't say how much the one you found was, but you shouldn't have to pay more than $20. If you are still deciding, I would suggest you get the Parallax one.

Thanks again, I look forward to hearing about your experience with the EXOS 2 PMC-Eight and be sure to contact me if you have any questions.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Dan,

I would suggest a Windows 10 Tablet device with a keyboard that you can flip out of the way if you want to use the ExploreStars application AND be able to connect using the ASCOM driver over a serial adaptor. Depending on the third party software you would use you would probably want a 10-inch tablet. This may run you around $300 on up, I am guessing. If you just want to run ExploreStars only, the a Windows 10 tablet in the $100-$150 range should work fine.

W. Christopher Moses

A few random thoughts:

1. Make sure you can get a screen cover for it.  Not to protect it from scratches, but I find they help with dew.

2. If you are just running ExploreStars, then any tablet will do. I still have an old, original Windows Surface Pro from 5 years ago that runs it perfectly.