Topics

Tablets that work..

Wes Mcdonald

Hi all:

A recurring theme on the forum is what tablet is known to work with Explorestars.  I believe this is primarily with regard to Android tablets but I guess it might come up with other tablets as well.  I propose that we all respond to this note by stating thier tablet, their OS, the OS version that they have found success with.  I will compile these and create a document with these data.  This should help others, especially those new to the product line.

I use a

Samsung Tab A, 7".  It is running Android 5.1.1
Insignia 10" Windows 10 Tab, details to follow

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Gord Farmer

I operate my exos11 mount PMC-Eight on a iPad Air 2.   Explore stars app
It bears very little resemblance to the windows version . How about a proper video on this system when using iOS
Being new to the game it would be in the least helpful.
 Plus in the help section in the app there is none.
 It’s working reasonably well after a month of trial and error.
  Thanks
Exos 11 PMC-Eight.
Explore Scientific AR 152

On Apr 1, 2019, at 9:57 AM, Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:

Hi all:

A recurring theme on the forum is what tablet is known to work with Explorestars.  I believe this is primarily with regard to Android tablets but I guess it might come up with other tablets as well.  I propose that we all respond to this note by stating thier tablet, their OS, the OS version that they have found success with.  I will compile these and create a document with these data.  This should help others, especially those new to the product line.

I use a

Samsung Tab A, 7".  It is running Android 5.1.1
Insignia 10" Windows 10 Tab, details to follow

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jim McKee

I have IPAD Mini Gen2. IOS 12.2
Only shortfall is if the IPAD goes to sleep (I have it set to never), it takes a few steps to regain PMC-8 Wifi and Explorstars connectivity.  Once connected, very dependable
I would suggest, for the purposes of this survey, that we also provide short synopsis of if it works or not and any issues.
Jim

--
Mounts:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Lens:          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II

Suprit Singh

Hello everyone,

I can confirm ExploreStars working well on my ipad pro 10.5 with the latest iOS 12.1.4 installed. At the moment, my PMC8 system has gone back to ES due to a wifi issue. I can make a video of the app in function when it comes back.

Best,
Suprit

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 12:19 PM Gord Farmer <gordfarmer@...> wrote:
[...]

Postdoc @ UNB Fredericton

Research Areas:
Gravitation, Cosmology, and Computer Vision
Interests: Wide-field and Deep Sky Astrophotography
Scopes: ES ED102 APO Triplet, Meade 80mmF5 refractor, Super Takumar 200mm F4
Mounts: ES EXOS2GT PMC8, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, SW Star Adventurer
Cameras: Sony A7

Gord Farmer

A little concerning , all the problems people seem to be having .
I’m at a point of wondering if I should have ordered this mount in the first place .

On Apr 1, 2019, at 11:26 AM, Suprit Singh <supritsingh@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Gord,

The wifi issue happened due to my mistake in setting the wifi password that lead to a factory reset. I think the switching of "wifi to serial and back" can be improved and especially systems that are not running Windows such as Mac OS and Linux. Other than that, I am very confident for using this mount as far as GoTo is concerned. Haven't tried auto-guiding yet.

Best,
Suprit

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 12:30 PM Gord Farmer <gordfarmer@...> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Vickers - Explore Scientific Software Developer

The wifi switching off is not us, it’s on Apple. They are not allowing us to keep sending data from the app while it’s in the background. If we had bluetooth then they would be fine for it automatically.

Thanks,
Stephen Vickers

Explore Scientific

o. 866.252.3811
m. 870.654.6995
stephen.vickers@...

On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:38 AM, Suprit Singh via Groups.Io <supritsingh@...> wrote:

[...]

I have three celestrons ,all goto.
Nexstar 130 slt
Nexstar 102 gt
Gps1100
All handbox operated , never a problem .

Time will tell with this system
A video dedicated to iOS would be helpful

Regards
Gord

On Apr 1, 2019, at 11:42 AM, Stephen Vickers - Explore Scientific Developer <stephen.vickers@...> wrote:

[...]

Frank Bastian

Hello all. Until yesterday I was using a Microsoft Surface 3 that worked very well until I accidentally and stupidly tipped my mount over onto it while doing some bench testing - ugh.
To replace it I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 11" tablet/laptop. I can report back once I have it loaded and running.
Frank

On Apr 1, 2019, at 11:38 AM, Suprit Singh <supritsingh@...> wrote:

[...]

Lloyd Simons

I have a Lenovo tab 2 A10-70F Android 6.0. Explorestars has worked well since my initial troubles with the install.
Lloyd

Maulik

I used the app on an iPad Pro 11. One the issues I experienced is what others using iOS have mentioned, i.e. WiFi connectivity when the tablet goes to sleep or is in the background. This seems to be an Apple related problem rather than the ES devs from whatever I've read and know about the iOS platform.

--
Maulik

Mounts:
ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: ES AR102
Cameras: Nikon D7200
Software: Windows 10, Windows ExploreStars, iOS ExploreStars app

Gord Farmer

iPad Air 2.  iOS
It seems to be working fine just waiting now for a clear sky .
But has no preferences like the explore star app for windows or help topic

On Apr 1, 2019, at 12:45 PM, Maulik <mauliko@...> wrote:

I used the app on an iPad Pro 11. One the issues I experienced is what others using iOS have mentioned, i.e. WiFi connectivity when the tablet goes to sleep or is in the background. This seems to be an Apple related problem rather than the ES devs from whatever I've read and know about the iOS platform.

--
Maulik

Mounts:
ES PMC-8 EXOS2
Scopes: ES AR102
Cameras: Nikon D7200
Software: Windows 10, Windows ExploreStars, iOS ExploreStars app

brian skinner

Hi Wes, I am successfully using a Galaxy tab 4 with Android 511.
Regards, Brian

On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 14:57 Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@... wrote:
Hi all:

A recurring theme on the forum is what tablet is known to work with Explorestars.  I believe this is primarily with regard to Android tablets but I guess it might come up with other tablets as well.  I propose that we all respond to this note by stating thier tablet, their OS, the OS version that they have found success with.  I will compile these and create a document with these data.  This should help others, especially those new to the product line.

I use a

Samsung Tab A, 7".  It is running Android 5.1.1
Insignia 10" Windows 10 Tab, details to follow

Wes.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Jay Stanley

Works fine on my LG GPad X 8.0 Android 6.0.1, 128GB micro sd card, 8” screen. Also just installed on my Amazon Fire HD10 tablet with a 16GB micro sd card but haven’t tested yet but all boots up fine so I would expect it to be okay.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#3037) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_

Ben32

I am using a galaxy Tab E 9”. The only way I can get ExploreStars to work, I is by downloading the .apk file to the SD card. If I download the app using play store I receive a SQL database error.

Regards,

Ben

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 5:30 PM Jay Stanley <jaystanley@...> wrote:
Works fine on my LG GPad X 8.0 Android 6.0.1, 128GB micro sd card, 8” screen. Also just installed on my Amazon Fire HD10 tablet with a 16GB micro sd card but haven’t tested yet but all boots up fine so I would expect it to be okay.

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#3037) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Doylestown, PA
Mounts: IEXOS -100
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED 80 FCD100
Cameras:  Canon T5i Dslr
Msc: ES 8x50 Non Illuminated scope, ES 50mm 2"T2 adapter
Software: BackyardEos

Aaron

I have an iPad Pro (current generation, 12.9”). I have not used Explore Stars for astrophotography yet, but I have used it to fiddle with the mount indoors. It seemed to work, but the UX is not idiomatically correct for iPad and the app does not take full advantage of the screen. There are large blank areas on the sides of the screen.

Gord Farmer

The iOS version does not have the same preferences as the windows platform .  It’s a little confusing but , I’m up and running ( the final test tonight if the clouds stay away.
 I’m a noob with this stuff but I never say die.
A video on this thing (iOS) would be very helpful to us technologically retarded noobs . Lol

On Apr 1, 2019, at 6:25 PM, Aaron <aaron.morse@...> wrote:

I have an iPad Pro (current generation, 12.9”). I have not used Explore Stars for astrophotography yet, but I have used it to fiddle with the mount indoors. It seemed to work, but the UX is not idiomatically correct for iPad and the app does not take full advantage of the screen. There are large blank areas on the sides of the screen.

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

Did you try downloading the database from the Explore Scientific website?

https://explorescientificusa.com/pages/android-os-download

then going through the process of unzipping it on a Windows machine to the desktop, then dragging it onto the micro-SD card?

Kent Marts

Customer Service

Explore Scientific

[...]

Stephen,

iOS is quite capable of maintaining TCP connections in the background.
https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/97824

Additionally, apps can be configured to disable “sleep.”

Aaron

Harry

Hi All, My main question is does ExploreStars require an internet connection to work?

I observe mostly in dark rural areas that may or not have a cellular connection. I have
used my ipad with cellular successfully.

I have just acquired a Fire HD8 to use. It is wi-fi only, Bluetooth and no GPS. I thought I would use my iphone XR as a hotspot. Of course ExploreStars requires the wi-fi
connection to communicate with my iExos 100. I can’t seem to use the bluetooth connection as the phone says “Fire Tablet not supported”. I can input my
location for ExploreStars manually, but there the connection ends. Even in an area
with cellular service, that does no good. Any ideas?

Thanks, Harry

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL