Topics

This headache

Gord Farmer

Here’s the problem , as the iOS version of explore stars is yet to have a help section I purchased a windows laptop . I’ve downloaded explore stars a number of times and keep getting “ data missing”
What in the name of @%#$& is the problem now?
Is there some kind of order ?
I’ve been unhappy with this semi functional system since March
Any suggestions would be appreciated before I toss the whole kit and kaboodle into the river.

Regards

Kent Marts Explore Scientific Customer Service

That message means you have no loaded the database correctly.

1) Be sure that you downloaded the Windows version rather than the Android version. These are different types of databases and ARE NOT compatible.

2) The database must be extracted from the zip file. And it must be extracted correctly.

3) The database must be installed in the Pictures folder on your machine. In the Pictures folder you should see: a) 1 folder named ExploreStars; b) inside that folder another folder named Images AND 3 text files, ExploreStars, ExploreStars-Bright, and ExploreStars-Stars.

4) One installed correctly, close down the app, then restart the laptop.

If you no longer get the data-missing message, you've got it loaded correctly.

If you are not connected to the mount, the next screen you'll see is a BIG message stating PLEASE WAIT. That means the app cannot find the PMC-Eight. That's because you are not connected.

So, close the app, power up the mount, go to the wifi manager in the laptop, connect to the mount using the password PMC-Eight. Launch the app. If you are connected you'll now hav, in place of the PLEASE WAIT message, the virtual joystick/compass rose.

Kent Marts, Customer Service, Explore Scientific

Joe Izen

I'd like to chime in that I went through this same frustration myself, followed by the frustration of having to buy an SD card for the database, even though there was plenty of room in my built in storage. PMC -8 can do a lot better with the new user experience. It isn't plug and play, but it should be.

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM, Joe Izen wrote:
It isn't plug and play, but it should be.
If you are willing to pay the premium for the Apple iOS iPad then you will get a true plug and play experience loading ExploreStars for iOS. Otherwise you just have to purchase the hardware we recommend for the Android ExploreStars application and follow our instructions.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data