Topics

Unboxing, not sure about controller version

r_hoskin@...

Jerry,

Just unpacking my new EXOS-2/PMC8.  Packaging very good, fit and finish of the contents looks good.

Next stop, check firmware.  I'm reading your ESAN_002_rev02 doc, and I'm on pg 2, the line: pmc-eight system controller version 06B or later.

The model# on my controller box is: ESOGT-01B.  I'm comparing 06B and 01B, and wondering how to interpret that...

What say you?

Thanks!

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi Bob,

Yes, these numbers are different designators. The hardware design model number is actually "2A-006B" as it is assembly style 2A, design iteration 6, and subversion B. This is an internal hardware number only that matches the firmware version for that hardware.  The box itself has a model number that is the SKU for the controller itself. It is a stock number based model number. The current release version of the Firmware is 9T10 which translates to release 9, version T, subversion 10. This number has been incrementing since the initial firmware was built over 4 years ago.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

r_hoskin@...

Thanks, Jerry!

I was reviewing that doc, wondering if I needed to do a firmware update or not, and realized partway through, that I wasn't seeing how to tell what the current firmware version was.

Perhaps I'm already at the latest and don't need this?  I don't know how to check.

If the simple answer is 'just update anyway', that's fine, just let me know.

- Bob

David Pickett

Bob,

If you got your PMC-Eight recently, it is
probably the same as mine. I just plugged the
thing in and it worked. This is to be expected,
of course, and if it blows up (and you have
everything connected as it should be!), you are
covered by the warranty... Go for it!

David

At 20:14 24-10-17, r_hoskin@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

Thanks, Jerry!

I was reviewing that doc, wondering if I needed
to do a firmware update or not, and realized
partway through, that I wasn't seeing how to
tell what the current firmware version was.

Perhaps I'm already at the latest and don't need
this? I don't know how to check.

If the simple answer is 'just update anyway', that's fine, just let me know.

- Bob

hubbell_jerry@...

Currently, the shipping product is using the original release firmware version 9T10. I have been working on updates to the firmware and will make an announcement when that is released. I also have been doing auto-guider port calibrations which require a custom firmware patch on the 9T10 firmware that is installed your PMC-Eight if your auto-guiding camera does not provide the correct signal values into the PMC-Eight. If anyone is having an issue with their auto-guiding in that the mount does not seem to be responding correctly, then I can get with you and check it for you. We can then run a calibration check and adjust it as necessary.

Thanks

r_hoskin@...

Thanks!  No worries, then.  I'll take what I have, for a spin and see how it goes.

- Bob