Universal Firmware Configuration Tool - Get Current Config not working

Paul Meesters

Edited

I installed the new firmware. in accompanying tool, the Get Current Configuration button seems to be not willing to cooperate :(
See image below:

So, first I select the correct com-port. There is only one listed, so no big issue there. Then I press the Get Current Configuration button, and the log-area shows a whole series of: BUSY messages. I cancel out and try again... same result BUSY BUSY BUSY
I then try the other button, why not.. so I press the REBOOT Show Splash button, and hey presto - results as shown in the image above.

I then retry the Get Current Configuration button, and get the errormessage shown in the image above. Even when I select the Mount TYPE myself (EXOS2) it ends up on the next line iEXOS100 (wrong!!)

Edit: here's a screen capture video of the observed result on Microsoft Onedrive:  UFCT - The movie

And - hmm - why is the hemisphere set to SOUTH by default ? Weird, ES is a North American company is it not ?

I guess there are still some bugs in this program ?

--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Howdy,

You need to change the WiFi connection in the Configuration manager to 1.03.

This menu will pop up in Poth Scope Dome Setup under ASCOM.  For the IEXOS-100,

the correct WiFi module is the ESP-WROOM-02.

JR

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:20 AM, jrichard333 <jrichard333@...> wrote:
You need to change the WiFi connection in the Configuration manager to 1.03
I'm afraid you are talking about something quite different here.
I use a serial connection and not WiFi, and this is about the Universal Firmware Configuration Tool, not the Configuration Manager.

--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

jrichard333 <jrichard333@hotmail.com>

Oh, ok.   Good luck.

JR

[...]

Wes Mcdonald

Paul

Sorry about the issue you are experiencing.

I put out a note on chxanging P9 manually to get around this.

Look on the firmware update thread.

The northern/Southern Hemisphere is not exactly a default.  The pmc8 has uninitialized data relative to this selection and it thus defaults to southern.  But that bit of data is not the only uninitialized bit and thus we need to set the UFCT check boxes to the correct value for your situation and save the configuration.  At that point the pmc8 is set up with proper default values.

As for get current configuration not working out of the box others have experienced this also, and reboot as you did seems to get past it.  This doesn’t happen on any of my test pmc8 boxes so go figure.

On thing tho is that when you get configuration it sometimes will be the first connection of the pc to the pmc8. This first go usually results in a reboot of the pmc8 which takes awhile to load and get past its initial configuration checks and especially if you have an iexos as it has to configure the WiFi module.  But your exos2 is quicker.   But slow.

Wes

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 3:45 AM Paul Meesters <p.h.meesters@...> wrote:
[...]

And everybody

When you look at paul’s movie you see him choosing exos2 and pressing get configuration, the result being the same error message.  This is correct!

What one must do after changing anything in the UFCT panel is SET Configurstion.   Nothing is written to the pmc8 until then.

The UFCT get configuration shoe you how the pmc8 is configured.  The set configuration changes this.  Only after a set config are the pmc8 settings written.

The thing everybody needs to know is that the pmc8 has its own view as to what kind of mount it is connected to.  The default is iexos100.   Now the pmc8 reports it’s hardware configuration to the UFCT when you do a get configuration.  The UFCT compares the hardware to the mount type and if they are inconsistent prompts you to select the correct mount type given the hardware configuration.  In paul’s case eithe a G11 or and exos2.   So then select exos2 and save that configuration.

My guess is this is the same procedure error everyone that has experienced this has had.  Explains why I have not seen it🥴, never did it that way.

Paul Meesters

Wes,

Everything worked after the configuration was saved one time. That's seems bit counter intuitive to me, but once you know that, it's workable. Maybe it could be explained in the instructions.
I still will have to test the new firmware. It's clouded at the moment, so sometime in the future it will be tested :)
--

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 01:05 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
What one must do after changing anything in the UFCT

This was not after changing anything. It was after updating the firmware, and running UFCT for the very first time.

So, the mount type isn't detected from the get go. It is only set after saving the configuration, even without ANY changes other then the mount type.

--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

Wes Mcdonald

Paul:

Correct.  Per your video, you selected the mount to ne exos2 then clicked GET CONFIGURATION.  SElecting the mount type did not change the configuration, it just set a new configuration state in the UFCT.  You mut press SAVE CONFIGURATION to write all the changed settings (checkboxes etc) back into the PMC8.  Thats all.

The instructions say to do this in order:  Boot PMC8, Get configuration, Change things and press SET configuration.  What was not obvious to you and others is that selecting the mount type constitutes a change which needs to be subsequently SET.

Error message could be more clear on this, something like "Mount type error, select EXOS2 or G11 and press SET CONFIGURATION."  Would that have been of assistance?

Wes.

Paul Meesters

Edited

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 08:53 PM, Wes Mcdonald wrote:
Boot PMC8, Get configuration
Wes, I don't know how to say it more clearly. step 2 in your order fails when you just have flashed your new firmware. Get configuration fails whether I click on EXOS 2 or not :(

--
Greetz,
Paul

Mounts:                            ES Exos-II + PMC-Eight; Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Pro;
Main scopes:                    ED APO 102mm f/7 FCD-100 CF; William Optics Redcat 51;
Finder & Guiding scopes: Bresser Messier 8x50 finderscope; Astro Essentials 32mm F/4 mini (= 128mm) guide scope;
Cameras:                         ZWO ASI 071 MC Pro Main camera; ZWO ASI 120mm mini guidecamera; Sony A7III (astromodified)
Other:                              ZWO AsiAir  Pro; iPad
Software:                         PixInsight, Deep Sky Stacker; Siril; PHD2; SharpCap; Adobe Photoshop; Pipp; Registax 6; Autostakkert 3; ExploreStars; APT

Wes Mcdonald

Paul:

Are you up an running now?  I am loosing the bubble on these threads....

Wes.