Topics

Updated Explore Scienttific PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver Available

hubbell_jerry@...

I have posted the updated Explore Scientific PMC-Eight ASCOM driver installation setup program in the files section. See the previous message about the upload. This driver will be posted also on our website later today or tomorrow early. At that point I am going to announce it on CloudyNights and on our company Facebook page and website.  I thought I would give you guys first crack at installing it.  I would appreciate any feedback you have on the installation and on the new features which include:

Pulse-Guiding functionality - you can set the Sidereal Rate fraction from 0.00x to 1.00x in 0.05x increments.

Tracking Rate Selection - you can select the following rates: Sidereal, Lunar, Solar, and King from the main setup dialog screen.

Tracking Rate Offset - on the Miscellaneous tab of the driver setup dialogue box, you can put an offset value in to fine tune your tracking at a resolution of 0.01 arc-seconds/second (+/-).

Improved User Park Position setting - You can now position your mount anywhere you would like and use the Set Park button (available on the ASCOM Scope-Dome Hub, POTH setup page) This value is stored in the driver profile. The user park motor positions are read in to the mount controller when connecting so it will be there even when you power down and power back up the controller. If you want to go to the NCP, the you can use the HOME button on the POTH setup page to go there. HOME is hardwired to the NCP, and Park now can be wherever you like it (default is NCP out of the box).

I wanted to get this out to everyone since it has been quite a while since the initial release. I will be releasing an updated SDK before too long with improved documentation. I apologize for not providing better instructions now.

Thanks for your patience and support for this project.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

If you look in the files section, you will also see that I posted the updated version of the Explore Scientific PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver Test Application. You can use this client application to exercise the driver. I use it in my development and testing of the driver.  I will try and post a guide for this, but most of it should be self explanatory. Give it a try!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

r_hoskin@...

Thanks, Jerry!

I can do an install (Win7) tomorrow (Tuesday), and take it as far as making a mount connection, but observing is a no-go.  Weather here has been unusable for weeks, and no idea when that will change.

- Bob

David Pickett

Thanks, Jerry for these files.

I have downloaded and apparently installed successfully on Win 10. I hope to find time to
test inside today or tomorrow. Outside is out of
the question as it is expected to continue
completely overcast here for the forseeable
future! (I did briefly glimpse the crescent moon
last night, but it was behind a medium thick
layer of cloud and soon disappeared!)

Just one question: how does one set and turn
on/off the various tracking speeds?

Best,

David

At 00:23 20-02-18, hubbell_jerry@... [ESPMC-Eight] wrote:

If you look in the files section, you will also
see that I posted the updated version of the
Explore Scientific PMC-Eight ASCOM Driver Test
Application. You can use this client application
to exercise the driver. I use it in my
development and testing of the driver. I will
try and post a guide for this, but most of it
should be self explanatory. Give it a try!

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

hubbell_jerry@...

Hi David,

When you go to the ASCOM driver setup dialogue box, the different rates are set via the pull-down menu in the upper right of the box, right below the radio buttons for selecting either TCP/IP or Serial. It is next to the mount selection pull-down.

Whatever ASCOM client program you use, Cartes du Ciel, Maxim DL, Stellarium, has a button to turn tracking on and off.  If you use POTH, you will see a checkbox for turning tracking on and off also.

Jerry Hubbell
Director Electrical Engineering
Explore Scientific, LLC.

David Pickett

Cool! I shall play with this tonight. It snowed
today here -- but not enough to bring all the clouds down... :(

David