Topics

UPDATED FIRMWARE NOW AVAILABLE #ExploreScientific #FIRMWARE

I have released a new version of the PMC-Eight firmware for the G11, EXOS 2, and iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight Mounts.

Here are the release notes pertaining to this most recent version. Please use the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager Firmware Update tab to download and install the firmware.

THIS IS A RECOMMENDED UPDATE

2020-JUNE-08 FIRMWARE RELEASE

iEXOS 100 PMC-Eight Mount Files:
1A01C_10B_5.eeprom
1) Updated Stepper Motor micro-step parameters to correct pointing
error when slewing between 1 and 3 degrees. Thanks Bill Black for
discovering this error and to Wes McDonald for tirelessly working
with me to nail down the root cause of this behaviour.
2) Updated motor current settings to raise the motor current when
slewing as compared to when tracking -

EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Mount Files:
9T_17_EXOS2.eeprom         600/900 mA Comm Watchdog Enabled
9T_17a_EXOS2.eeprom 600/900 mA Comm Watchdog Disabled
Description
1) Updated Stepper Motor micro-step parameters to correct pointing
error when slewing between 1 and 3 degrees. Thanks Bill Black for
discovering this error and to Wes McDonald for tirelessly working
with me to nail down the root cause of this behaviour.
2) Updated motor current settings to raise the motor current when
slewing as compared to when tracking -

G11 PMC-Eight Mount Files:
9T_17_G11.eeprom 600/900 mA Comm Watchdog Enabled
9T_17a_G11.eeprom 600/900 mA Comm Watchdog Disabled
9T_18_G11.eeprom 900/1300 mA Comm Watchdog Enabled
9T_18a_G11.eeprom 900/1300 mA Comm Watchdog Disabled
Description
1) Updated Stepper Motor micro-step parameters to correct pointing
error when slewing between 1 and 3 degrees. Thanks Bill Black for
discovering this error and to Wes McDonald for tirelessly working
with me to nail down the root cause of this behaviour.
2) Updated motor current settings to raise the motor current when
slewing as compared to when tracking -

TITAN PMC-Eight Mount Files:
9T_18_TITAN.eeprom 1200/1500 mA Comm Watchdog Enabled
9T_18a_TITAN.eeprom 1200/1500 mA Comm Watchdog Disabled
Description

jrh at explorescientific.com

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Scopes - Celestron Comet Catcher, Celestron C8, AR 127 Air-Spaced Doublet
Mount - EXOS-2GT

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 05:25 PM, Bruce Bradley wrote:
I’m guessing there is no way to update your firmware if you’re using an iPad. Since there is no
PMC-Eight Configuration Manager Firmware Update tab

The firmware update is currently done using a Windows program called the PMC-Eight Configuration Manager available on our PMC-Eight Software Downloads page. This update requires a cable connection to ensure a reliable update from your computer. Also the program component (DLL) we use to do the actual firmware load is one developed by the microcontroller manufacturer and only runs on Windows.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Omar Rahman

Hi. I have a quick clarification. Comm watchdog disabled is the version that keeps tracking even with a dropped connection, right?

Thanks!
Omar
--

Scope:
ES ED102

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 06:45 PM, Omar Rahman wrote:
Hi. I have a quick clarification. Comm watchdog disabled is the version that keeps tracking even with a dropped connection, right?
Hi Omar,

Yes, that is correct.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Luke

Good morning Jerry,

I installed the updated firmware yesterday and was out last night, it worked like a charm, perfect precise goto now.

Thank you.

Luke

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 03:35 PM, Luke wrote:
it worked like a charm, perfect precise goto now.

Hi Luke, thanks for reporting back, I appreciate it. I still need to work a small error that is in the RA axis that I hope to get done in the next couple of weeks.
Which mount do you have Luke?

Thanks again!

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Luke

Hi Jerry,

I have a Losmandy PMC8 G11.

Luke

Jennifer Shelly

The new FW has been loaded on my PMC-8.  I have not been able to test as I use my G-11 as a portable mount and clouds/rain is expected for about a week in the Richmond Metro Area, VA.  I will report back once I get a chance to try it out.
--
Sincerely,

Jennifer Shelly
AstroPorch, VA

Mounts
: ES PMC-8 G-11, ES PMC-8 EXOS-2
Scopes: ES ED127 FCD-100, ES Levy Comet Hunter, ES N208CF, QHY Mini Guide Scope, Solomark F60 Guide Scope
Cameras: QHY600M, QHY128C, QHY168C
Misc: MoonLite CFL 2.5 / High Res Stepper / V2 Mini Controller, Baader SteelTrack NT / SteelDrive II, Baader UFC, Optolong 2" L-Pro / L-eNhance, QHY CFW3-L, Baader 2” LRGBSHO CCD
Imaging Software:  NINA, APT, SharpCap Pro

John Pirrone

Can someone tell me if there is a video that shows you step by step how to do this firmware update? I am a visual learner and it is much easier for me to do anything if I see it visually. I believe that I have the correct USB to serial cable but it is only about six inches long and I am not sure if I am supposed to plug it into the PMC 8 or directly into the mount and to my computers USB cable. I used that cable to update my Celestron CPC 8 scope a while back with the Celestron HC update software. They had a video that showed it step by step and I was able to do it flawlessly.  Let me know if there is a video please.

Wes Mcdonald

John
What mount do you have.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

brian skinner

Hi, like John, I am a little unsure about the exact process involved in reloading/updating the, in my case, my iEXOS 100 firmware. I have held back from executing the actual download but I have as far as I can tell successfully downloaded the download manager and correct firmware file. I fear a failed download into the mount as this would cause the mount to be unusable I presume. A step by step guide would be very useful.

Thankyou, Brian

Wes Mcdonald

Regarding a video for loading firmware.  Thus was demonstrated in the explore Scientific afternoon chat this week.  I believe it was day 3 or 4.  These are available on YouTube.

Jerry showed how to do it using the configuration manager.

You cannot hurt the unit by trying.  It will load and update or it will fail and remain as it was.

Don't worry.  Just do it.  It will all be fine.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

John Pirrone

I have the G11

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 2:57 AM Wes Mcdonald <wesmcd6@...> wrote:
John
What mount do you have.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG

don't matter works on any pmc8

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

brian skinner

Great Wes, just what the doctor ordered, it was also very nice to put faces to the names.

Thankyou and kind regards, Brian

John Pirrone

Hey Wes. I answered incorrectly. I do not have the G11 mount. I have the EXOS2-GT mount.  OOPS.

John

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:11 AM brian skinner <brianjimskinner@...> wrote:
Great Wes, just what the doctor ordered, it was also very nice to put faces to the names.

Thankyou and kind regards, Brian

Wes Mcdonald

John

No.problem. Same procedure.

Polemaster, Orion ST-80 and SAG
Electrical Engineer, Retired

Hi Jerry,
i was just wondering, on my EXOS 2 PMC-Eight Mount , I have it set to operate on serial port, not wireless.
If I do this update to the mount, will it change it back to wireless ?

thanks,
kevin rea
lancaster, calif usa

Bill Gilpin

I'm another iPad user, but have a PC I could use to do the firmware update.

What programme do I install to get this "PMC-Eight Configuration Manager Firmware Update tab"?