Topics

Uploading photos to Forum

Jim McKee

Jerry
Admin question for you.  I have tried to upload photos to the forum with an entry as an embed and attachment and I am getting error that dumps the whole entry.  I have tried Firefox and Safari and JPEG, GIF and PNG of all sizes.  Any insights into the issue? Are we running into a limit on storage size? If so, I would be happy to contribute to expand to the 2TB limit.
Thanks

Jim
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 06:57 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
Are we running into a limit on storage size? If so, I would be happy to contribute to expand to the 2TB limit.
Yes, i recently had to clear out some attachments to free up some space. It probably has run out again. I will look into clearing the space, but if you want to contribute that would be most appreciated, but let me check into it first.

Thanks Jim

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Jim McKee

Edited

Thanks Jerry,
I was looking at the pricing for groups.io and it is rather steep for 1TB of storage. No matter what, attachments would have to be managed, which is not what I had been doing.   So the size of my photos was too big.  I have started moving AP work to my smugmug account and will provide link rather than attachment.
As a procedural issue, it would would probably be helpful if everyone would keep photos reduced to max JPEG size of less than 500kb.

Jim
--

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 08:39 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
As a procedural issue, it would would probably be helpful if everyone would keep photos reduced to max JPEG size of less than 500kb.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the prices are very steep for added disk space. I have discovered that each subgroup comes with its own 1 Gb of storage so we actually have more available, it's just that the MAIN is the most popular and therefore is used up faster. Unfortunately, the limit settings for images is based on pixel size and I have turned that on. The pixel limit is 2048x2048 pixels. We have image attachments that were > 25 Mb for some messages, so I had to delete those.

I will make a sticky message that asks everyone to minimize the size of message attachments, and if they like to save an image in the files section of the other subgroups and provide a link in the MAIN group message then that would work for now also.

Thanks!

jrh at explorescientific.com