Topics

Uploading photos to Forum

Jim McKee

Jerry
Admin question for you.  I have tried to upload photos to the forum with an entry as an embed and attachment and I am getting error that dumps the whole entry.  I have tried Firefox and Safari and JPEG, GIF and PNG of all sizes.  Any insights into the issue? Are we running into a limit on storage size? If so, I would be happy to contribute to expand to the 2TB limit.
Thanks

Jim
--
Scope:        Orion EON 115mm APO
Mounts
:      ES EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-8
Cameras:   Canon 6D Astro Mod, Canon 7D2, 1D Mk 2, EOS 60D Asto Modified
Lens:
          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. Backyard EOS, StarTools, APT, DSS
Computer:  Dell Latitude E5450, Windows 10

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 06:57 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
Are we running into a limit on storage size? If so, I would be happy to contribute to expand to the 2TB limit.
Yes, i recently had to clear out some attachments to free up some space. It probably has run out again. I will look into clearing the space, but if you want to contribute that would be most appreciated, but let me check into it first.

Thanks Jim

--
Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jim McKee

Edited

Thanks Jerry,
I was looking at the pricing for groups.io and it is rather steep for 1TB of storage. No matter what, attachments would have to be managed, which is not what I had been doing.   So the size of my photos was too big.  I have started moving AP work to my smugmug account and will provide link rather than attachment.
As a procedural issue, it would would probably be helpful if everyone would keep photos reduced to max JPEG size of less than 500kb.

Jim
--
Mounts
Lens:
Misc:          TELRAD, ZWO ASI120MM Guide Camera, Astromania 60mm Guidescope, Senso Sesto Focus Motor
Software:   EXPLORESTARS IOS & WIN, Stellarium. Backyard EOS, StarTools, APT, DSS

Jerry Hubbell - Explore Scientific VP Engineering

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 08:39 PM, Jim McKee wrote:
As a procedural issue, it would would probably be helpful if everyone would keep photos reduced to max JPEG size of less than 500kb.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the prices are very steep for added disk space. I have discovered that each subgroup comes with its own 1 Gb of storage so we actually have more available, it's just that the MAIN is the most popular and therefore is used up faster. Unfortunately, the limit settings for images is based on pixel size and I have turned that on. The pixel limit is 2048x2048 pixels. We have image attachments that were > 25 Mb for some messages, so I had to delete those.

I will make a sticky message that asks everyone to minimize the size of message attachments, and if they like to save an image in the files section of the other subgroups and provide a link in the MAIN group message then that would work for now also. 

Thanks!

Jerry Hubbell
Vice President of Engineering

Explore Scientific, LLC.
jrh at explorescientific.com

www.explorescientificusa.com
1010 S. 48th Street
Springdale, AR 72762
1-866-252-3811

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data
             Remote Observatories for Amateur Astronomers: Using High-Powered Telescopes From Home

Mark Slade Remote Observatory (MSRO) IAU MPC W54 Equipment
Wilderness, VA
Mounts
: ES PMC-Eight G11 + Telescope Drive Master (TDM)
Scopes: ES 165 FPL-53 ED APO CF, ES 102 FCD100 ED APO CF
Cameras:  QHY174M-GPS + FW, QHY163C
Misc: 3-inch 0.7x Focal Reducer Field Flattener, Filters: Luminance,
Red, V-band Photometric, Diffuser, 200 lpmm Spectral Grating

Software: MaxIm DL 6, Cartes du Ciel, Astrometrica, AstroImageJ, AutoStakkert!

Jim McKee

I know I wasn't reducing Iphone photos of PHD and DSLR photos that could be 2-10MB.    Will comress to less than 1920x1080 and increase JPEG compression.  500kb photo gets the point across.
/Jim
--
Mounts
Lens: