There is no platform specific user manual for ExploreStars. We have created  videos that are on your YouTube channel and linked a couple of other videos on our website.
We dedicated one of our OpenGOTO Community Live progams to the Android ExploreStars application. Here is the link to the video for this episode:

https://youtu.be/KPDcQKdO1o4

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Paul Mogg

Thank you for your quick and honest reply Jerry, I will check out that video.

While I'm here I just wanted to say that I'm very happy with my new purchase of an EXOS 2 mount, the hardware is obviously extremely good value for the money, and a high quality product. I was blown away last night by my first views of the Andromeda Galaxy with my own eyes, a moving experience, and the mount slewed to it perfectly for me after I did a careful Polar Alignment, and "1 star alignment" on Mars using the Sync button.

The ExploreStars software is also very good and I love the graphical user interface. I just now (finally) found out through someone else's post that you can go to the Main Menu /Catalog/  DURING the Alignment process to pick any star that is above the horizon, This is an indespensible  feature for a beginner like me who has only learned a few constellations so far, ...but I only found out about it by doing a lot of searching, the App itself gives no clue that this is possible. I will now try again tonight to do a 2 and 3 star alignment using this.

The lack of an up to-date-user manual for the software is a big frustration for a beginner. I don't like having to spend my day hunting through forums and videos for information that could be presented in a few simple sentences by the developers. With the mount itself I received a printed user manual in German ( that unfortunately I don't speak ) and another user manual that gave instructions for the Windows version of Explorestars only, which works quite differently to the Android version in many respects.

I'd also like to make the suggestion that you enable the ability to attach some kind of simplified, wired, hand controller, just for slewing manually and aligning, to be used in conjunction with the software. The Tablet controls DO NOT replace the tactile nature of a hand controllers' buttons ( IMHO ), that you can continue to look through your eyepiece while using, rather than having to look away and find the right button to press on the tablet. I think you could sell a few of those, and I'd be your first customer.

I hope you take my crtitique as being from someone who would only like to see a really good product further improved.

Best regards,

Paul Mogg

ACorkill

Hi All,

I will also purchase a hand controller if you want to make one. I'm doing visual astronomy. It is really a necessity for slewing around the moon and other objects. The iPad controls force you to take your eye off the eyepiece to slew. It does get tiring.

Maybe you can do a quick poll and see how many people would buy a hand controller if you made one.

Thanks,
Andrew
--
Main Telescope: Explore Scientific 152ED APO Refractor in Carbon Fiber
Mount: Explore Scientific EXOS2-GT Equatorial

Harry

Hi All,
When I used ExploreStars for scope movement, I found using the “compass rose” as an easier alternative to the up/down/left/right buttons.
With just a little practice, you can keep your finger on the center of the rose, and move the scope, without removing your finger or your eye from the eyepiece. It also functions in a slower/faster rate depending on finger movements.

FYI, Harry

--
Harry
Vero Beach, FL

Mounts: ES iExos 100-PMC Eight
Guide: ZWO 30mm Mini, ZWO ASI120MM-Mini
Software: ASIair Pro, iPad Pro, MacOS, Starry Sky Stacker, Affinity Photo, Lightroom,  SkySafari Plus
Cameras: Nikon D600, D5500
Misc: ES USB Power Bank, Rigel QuikFinder, 0.8x Focal Reducer
Filters:  Optolong L-Pro, L-eNhance

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 12:21 PM, ACorkill wrote:
Maybe you can do a quick poll and see how many people would buy a hand controller if you made one.
We already offer a mount with a traditional hand controller

https://explorescientificusa.com/products/fl-exos-2-goto-eq-mount

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

ttanquary@juno.com <ttanquary@...>

I’m in for the same reason. It’s very difficult to center an object looking back an forth between the eyepiece and computer, especially when you have to contort your body to be able to look through the eyepiece/ finder!

Wes Mcdonald

If you have a tablet this is all easy.  You set your rate down to 3 or maybe 2. Then you hover your finger over an arrow and look through the eyepiece then press the button a short stab. Mount moves.  Correct direction?  Press again. Wrong direction?  Glance to key, get on another and repeat.  It takes a little practice but it’s easy enough.

If you have a laptop, well it is hard to do.   But a windows tablet is ok.