Topics

Using A Game Controller with ASCOM DeviceHub65

Larry White

After watching several Bob Denny videos I made the upgrade to ASCOM Device Hub 65.  In doing so I’ve lost the ability to use my Xbox game controller.  I like being able to make minor adjustments with the game controller, especially after doing a quick and dirty polar alignment for star gazing with the grandkids.

After loading ASCOM DeviceHub65, ASCOMPAD recognizes the Device Hub Telescope and connects.  But when I press an ASCOMPAD directional button or the game controller D pad or move the joystick on the game controller nothing happens. The only exception is the button I have assigned as the Park button.  The mount will park.  A review of the Activity log shows all the afore mentioned buttons are being recognized via the following:  “MoveAxis Primary/Secondary 0 deg/sec.”  Any ideas as to what is going on?
--
Larry White
O'Fallon, IL

Scope:  ES AR102, Celestron C8
Mount:  EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-Eight
Cameras:  ZWO ASI 120MC, Canon EOS T6

Luiz Sanches

Larry, look here: https://espmc-eight.groups.io/g/MAIN/topic/24822394?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,ASCOMPAD,20,2,0,24822394,ct=1&ct=1
I couldn't use the ASCOMPAD with device Hub, but only with POTH. If you could find out other way for use it with the device, tell us.

This is an old message for a previous version of the ASCOM driver. The current ASCOM driver available on the Explore Scientific website has this fix already in it.
This message has some good info in it as Luiz said as far as how I tested it and the button settings.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Larry White

Jerry,

It is my understanding that the new ASCOM DeviceHub65 does away for the need to use POTH.  In fact I don’t see it anymore.  While installing ASCOM DH  I installed the updated driver from ES website.

After launching ASCOM DH I select Tools => Setup =>Choose =>ES_PMC* Telescope.  Just out of habit I select Properties and make sure “Enable Serial Port is selected (I’m using a serial to USB connection between the PMC8 and my laptop.)  I make sure the EXOS II mount is selected and I have a Comm Port.

Having done all that its back to the Chooser window and click on OK.  I click OK on the DH App and Driver Setup window.  I click the Connect Telescope button on the ASCOM DH window.  At this point everything is hunky-dory.

Now I launch ASCOMPAD and click on Devices =>GamePad just to make sure the controller is being recognized.  Now I select Devices => Mount and select Connect.  From the telescope chooser I select "Device Hub Telescope" and then OK.  At this point I can change the rate using the game controller and that is it.  The only buttons that work on the ASCOMPAD window are Park and UnPark.  If I open the DH Activity Log window I get:  From ASCOMPAD window directional keys:

17:34:29.513: Telescope - Commands:     MoveAxis Secondary at 0 deg/sec:  (done)

17:34:32.782: Telescope - Commands:     AbortSlew:  (done)

17:34:35.367: Telescope - Commands:     MoveAxis Primary at 0 deg/sec:  (done)

From the Game Controller D-pad directionals:

17:34:44.911: Telescope - Commands:     MoveAxis Secondary at 0 deg/sec:  (done)

17:34:48.825: Telescope - Commands:     AbortSlew:  (done)

17:34:52.510: Telescope - Commands:     MoveAxis Primary at 0 deg/sec:  (done)

Any ideas as to what I might or might not be doing wrong?

--
Larry White
O'Fallon, IL

Scope:  ES AR102, Celestron C8
Mount:  EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-Eight
Cameras:  ZWO ASI 120MC, Canon EOS T6

Hi Larry,

The problem is probably related to the fact that ASCOMPAD is a very old program that is only useable with the POTH because of changes made to create the Device Hub. I would post a question about that on the EQMOD project Groups.io page or maybe on the ASCOM Developer Groups.io page. You can still install POTH with ASCOM 6.5 but you have to manually select the install when doing it from the list of items available. Finally, I received a message today that ASCOM 6.5 Service Pack 1 is available for download and further corrects issues with various features including bug fixes for the Device Hub. There is a possibility that a fix was made that will enable ASCOMPAD to work with Device Hub now.

jrh at explorescientific.com

Author: Scientific Astrophotography: How Amateurs Can Generate and Use Professional Imaging Data

Larry White

I believe I have found a way to configure the ASCOM Device Hub 65 to use an Xbox Game Controller.  Frist update to Service Pack 1 (SP1).  Ensure you include the POTH Hub option.  See Peter Simpson’s post for details.

Follow these steps to connect you mount to your desktop/laptop:

Step

Action

Result

1

Open ASCOM DeviceHub65 Sp1

The ASCOM Device Hub window opens

2

Click Tools=> Setup

The Device Hub Application and Driver Setup window opens

3

Click Choose button

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup displays

4

Select POTH Hub option from the dropdown menu

5

Click Properties button

The POTH Setup popup displays

6

Click Choose Scope button

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup displays

7

From the dropdown options Select your scope (e.g. ES_PMC8 Telescope)

Your Scope/Mount displays in the dropdown field

8

Click the OK button

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup closes

9

On the POTH Setup popup Click the Setup button

Your Mount/Telescope Driver popup displays.  Ensure settings (Mount, Comm port, Comm Speed, etc.) are correct.

10

Click the OK button

Your Mount/Telescope Driver popup closes

11

On the POTH Setup popup Click the Connect button

The Connect button changes to Disconnect button

12

Click the OK button

The POTH Setup popup closes.  The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup become the active popup

13

Click the OK button

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup closes The Device Hub Application and Driver Setup becomes the active popup

14

Click the OK button

The Device Hub Application and Driver Setup popup closes.  The ASCOM Device Hub window becomes active

15

Click the Connect Telescope button

Your mount is now connected to your computer/laptop

The following steps will connect your game controller to your mount:

Step

Action

Result

16

Open ASCOMPAD

The ASCOMPAD window opens

17

Click the Devices menu option

The Devices dropdown menu displays

18

Click the Mount option

The Mount popup menu displays

19

Click the Connect option

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup displays

20

From the dropdown options Select POTH Hub

POTH Hub displays in the dropdown field

21

Click the OK button

The ASCOM Telescope Chooser popup closes.  The ASCOMPAD window becomes the active window

At this point your game controller should be functional.

--
Larry White
O'Fallon, IL

Scope:  ES AR102, Celestron C8
Mount:  EXOS2-GT w/ PMC-Eight
Cameras:  ZWO ASI 120MC, Canon EOS T6

Luiz Sanches

Good Configuration! Some parts can be used for many other programas for work with POTH.